Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 on NEX-5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 on NEX-5 Reply with quote

This is the first time I tried Canon FD lens on NEX. Images are quite colorful and I like it. Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples!

One of the best 50/1.4 from that era, IMHO.
Is your copy multicoated (SSC marked) ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My faves are the SSC 24/2.8 & 35/2.8 Tilt/Shift(though it feels a bit big on NEX)

My collection:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the advantage of SSC over nFD?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens indeed. I think we should have a thread just for 50/1.4s lol.
I have a couple 50/1.4s including this non SSC one but couldn't choose a favourite cause they have their own unique characteristics...ended up keeping them all =(.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eno789 wrote:

Bigger weight Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eno789 wrote:

The SSC's are more solidly built but heavier, you can lock the aperture lever so the aperture always works(nFD's don't do this, you have to use the lock ring on the adapter to get the aperture to work),
the SSC in red looks cool, I've heard that the nFD's bayonet mount can wear out and become loose, or I've seen them jam.
Other than that they are more or less the same, some lenses were updated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not all Breech locks have aperture lock lever, probably only the oldest do. Out of my lenses only the oldest 50mm f1.8 has it and it's not SSC.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every one of my SSC's in the picture above do it except for the Tilt/Shift which doesn't have a lever.
Plus my silver nose: 28/3.5, 35/3.5, 50/1.8(has a separate lever that locks the aperture lever), and 50/1.4 all do it too.
Non Canon and Canon FL & nFD(as far as I can tell) don't do it.

Which Canon FD's do you have that don't do it? Are they tele's? My longest FD is 100mm at the moment. I will probably add a 200/2.8 and 300/2.8(or f4)

Just to confirm...
Just push the aperture lever as far as it can go, it will stop half way, but keep pushing, all the way to the end of the slot, and it should stay there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izvar wrote:
Nice samples!

One of the best 50/1.4 from that era, IMHO.
Is your copy multicoated (SSC marked) ?

Yes! Marked in red "S.S.C.", Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
I have a couple 50/1.4s including this non SSC one but couldn't choose a favourite cause they have their own unique characteristics...ended up keeping them all =(.

Lucky you! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:
bruzzo wrote:

Lucky till you have more than you know what to do with, not counting f-1.2, 1.7, 1.8, &f2 lenses, I have 12 50-58mm f1.4 lenses.
The best ones are probably a multicoated OM and an FD SSC.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eno789 wrote:

Original wear-free breech lock mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
ferrick wrote:
bruzzo wrote:

Lucky till you have more than you know what to do with, not counting f-1.2, 1.7, 1.8, &f2 lenses, I have 12 50-58mm f1.4 lenses.
The best ones are probably a multicoated OM and an FD SSC.

That's great! Mine is FD SSC! Smile Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSC is made entirely of metal, while the nFD has many plastic parts.
ssc is much easier to fix and also convert mount to canon EF .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Every one of my SSC's in the picture above do it except for the Tilt/Shift which doesn't have a lever.
Plus my silver nose: 28/3.5, 35/3.5, 50/1.8(has a separate lever that locks the aperture lever), and 50/1.4 all do it too.
Non Canon and Canon FL & nFD(as far as I can tell) don't do it.

Which Canon FD's do you have that don't do it? Are they tele's? My longest FD is 100mm at the moment. I will probably add a 200/2.8 and 300/2.8(or f4)

Just to confirm...
Just push the aperture lever as far as it can go, it will stop half way, but keep pushing, all the way to the end of the slot, and it should stay there.

Ohh, now I see. My silver nose 50mm/f1.8 has a separate aperture lock lever (different from aperture control lever). Later lenses do not have it, so I thought that functionality is not there anymore. However, apparently pushing the aperture control lever till the very end does lock the aperture. I didn't notice that before.

FLs have A/M switch, which is way better, since you can operate it with the lens on the camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My FL 35/2.5 doesn't have an A/M switch, add to that it has a hump that interferes with the adapter's aperture pin(which needs to be removed to mount the lens), so I wedged a piece of plastic in the bask to hold the lever over so I can at least use the aperture ring now. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection of lenses. My T90 wants to meet them. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the Canon FL lenses that lack an A-M lever do have a black ring underneath the aperture ring. You set the aperture ring as desired, then rotate the black ring a little to go to manual aperture.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection you got there.
They seem to perform well too! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean.peace wrote:
SSC is made entirely of metal, while the nFD has many plastic parts.
ssc is much easier to fix and also convert mount to canon EF .

1 - yes - SSC - there is definitely more 'metal' - well - mainly alu, of course...
2 - definitely no - SSC are definitely NOT easier to convert to EF mount

The line which is definitely easier to convert - and many of them even in reversible way - is nFD line and not SSC

I have had an experience with FD mounts

Converting SSC is sometimes hellish work against nFD.

tf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the complements on the set, the funny thing is I was originally aiming to get a full set FL's since I love metal focus rings, then I started looking at chrome nose FD's since they look so cool, much like the current Zeiss lenses, so I started collecting those too, but I kept finding good deals on SSC lenses, only the 35/2 and the 17 were bought online.
I think an F1n is in my future, along with the 55/1.2 & 85/1.2 aspherical and possibly the 200/2.8
The best of the set is the Tilt/Shift, well worth what I paid, about = to the rest combined.

ramiller500 wrote:
As far as I know, the Canon FL lenses that lack an A-M lever do have a black ring underneath the aperture ring. You set the aperture ring as desired, then rotate the black ring a little to go to manual aperture.

Well, Thank you for that, didn't even see that ring. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramiller500 wrote:

First generation Canon FL lenses have a "stop down ring" to manually close the aperture to the current f-stop selected. When dialing in another aperture, the ring must be turned further (example: f4 to f8 ) or will follow by itself (example: f8 to f4). Second and third ("compact") generations feature a dedicated A/M ring for automatic or classic manual control.

FL 50/1.8 II (left), FL 50/1.8 (right)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One another review about Canon New FD 50mm F1.4 - this time on Sony A7II