Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax SMC 55mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Pentax SMC 55mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Recently I got a bolt of motivation to dig deep into my 35mm film archive and transfer some of my library to digital. I came across a roll of film that used the following combination:
[img]
[/img]

Here's one of the images I transferred:
[img]
I really like the rendering of this lens wide open.

This prompted me to obtain an adapter for my A7, I purchased on EBay.
[/img]

Here's a shot with the A7:

[img]

[/img]

Cheers!
Joseph

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite lenses too! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like its rendering.
That's why I have 3 versions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have an auto takumar 1.8/55 but it's still very nice!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice lens. I have 4 of them ,an early ST version which has no yellowish glass, ST x2 and SMC f2.
This lens can give very refined pictures and has a beautiful bokeh in my opinion.
It was a perfect portrait lens for my Lumix GF2 which used to produce cold and flat Jpeg. A perfect fit.
With my A7 it is not my first choice but sometimes it has something special.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
A very nice lens. I have 4 of them ,an early ST version which has no yellowish glass, ST x2 and SMC f2.
This lens can give very refined pictures and has a beautiful bokeh in my opinion.
It was a perfect portrait lens for my Lumix GF2 which used to produce cold and flat Jpeg. A perfect fit.
With my A7 it is not my first choice but sometimes it has something special.

For portraits (A7), I agree; I would go with either an 85 or a 105mm. I think that it would make a nice walk-around lens on the A7.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one shot at f5.6 on the A7. On my iMac Retina, the detail that this combo renders is amazing—out to the corners!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lens Pentax 55 mm f1.8 SMC wide open except the last (A7R)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots! For a 1.8 lens, it renders nice, smooth bokeh when you're shooting wide open with it. Looks more like a 1.4's bokeh, in fact. Good to see the performance if this lens. I should use mine more. My SMC 55/1.8 came with my Spotmatic F, which I bought a few years ago. I don't know which version mine is, but the focusing collar's grip is rubber, and not metal.

How do you tell apart the different models? And is there one model that is preferred to the other three?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Nice shots! For a 1.8 lens, it renders nice, smooth bokeh when you're shooting wide open with it. Looks more like a 1.4's bokeh, in fact. Good to see the performance if this lens. I should use mine more. My SMC 55/1.8 came with my Spotmatic F, which I bought a few years ago. I don't know which version mine is, but the focusing collar's grip is rubber, and not metal.

How do you tell apart the different models? And is there one model that is preferred to the other three?

There are several variations of the Takumar 1.8/55.
Takumar, Auto-Takumar, Super-Takumar, Super-Multi-Coated-Takumar and SMC Takumar
There is no difference in the optics of all the 1.8/55 Takumars that I can see, apart from the coatings of course.
It is the Super-Takumar that has three minor cosmetic variations.
The SMC Takumar - this one - has the rubber grip, the others are metal.
Sometimes the image that you are after is produced by the earlier non multi-coated lenses, sometimes from the multi-coated.
I don't consider any of these to be better or worse in performance.
In practice on a film camera, some had auto diaphragms, some capable of open aperture metering etc
Here is a good link showing the variations:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-S-M-C-Super-Auto-Takumar-55mm-F1.8.html

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early ST has the aperture ring turn the opposite way, then normal way, then Super-Multi-Coated Takumar, then SMC.
I thought I had 3 of them, but can only find 2, my lens list has 2 listed, strange....

A more exposed version to show detail, note the convex scallops on the focus ring and no scallops on the aperture ring of the Early lens, and concave scallops on the S-M-C's focus and aperture rings.

Can you spot all the differences?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To complete the set - here is the SMC Takumar with the rubber grip
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still missing the later Super Takumar, that I thought I had.
Found an image of the one I thought I had on the net...

http://cannonfastreviews.com/pentax-super-takumar-55mm-f1-8-37101/

The even earlier Auto-Takumar is also backwards

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-S-M-C-Super-Auto-Takumar-55mm-F1.8.html
Quote:
Here is an overview of the variants that we're aware of:
1: Takumar 55mm F1.8
2: Auto-Takumar with semi-automatic diaphragm
3: Auto-Takumar with automatic diaphragm. The direction of the aperture ring was reversed as was the norm on early lenses
4: Auto-Takumar with automatic diaphragm. The direction of the aperture ring was reversed as was the norm on early lenses. This lens which has the Super-Takumar "look" except for the missing IR index mark was soon re-released as a Super-Takumar
5: Super-Takumar with fine ribs on the aperture ring and reversed direction of the aperture ring
6: Super-Takumar still with fine ribs on aperture ring, but the ring now turns the "right" way (has the F1.8 position to the right) as all later M42 lenses
7: Super-Takumar with coarse ribs on aperture ring
8: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar
9: SMC Takumar with open aperture metering

Last edited by Lightshow on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no Takumar ) Pentax series K (a descendant of tokumaru)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there is the 1:2/55 identical versions which have a f/2 mask...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f2 mask?

and Huh, I never noticed the different orientation of the aperture rings.

Well there you go.

That 55mm lens is such a wonderful staple isn't it. Perhaps maybe even overrated because of how cheap and ubiquitous they are, never the less enjoy using any of those variants every much.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?p=1506754#1506754

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
f2 mask?

and Huh, I never noticed the different orientation of the aperture rings.

Well there you go.

That 55mm lens is such a wonderful staple isn't it. Perhaps maybe even overrated because of how cheap and ubiquitous they are, never the less enjoy using any of those variants every much.

Yeah, the f2 mask is real, it seems wasteful or like they are robbing the user of the lenses full capability, but they sold it at a lower cost.

I was surprised to find the aperture ring was different from all my other ST lenses.

I updated my previous post with a few pics, and a list of M42 55/1.8 variants.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
The f2 version has a slightly smoother bokeh @f2 due to the more round aperture, but that advantage goes away at other f values
from http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?p=1341756#1341756

+1

May be the engineering change primary reason! They think the lens performance is improved over f/1.8 version.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link.

Amazing.