Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap macro lens 80-150 mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Cheap macro lens 80-150 mm Reply with quote

Hi
I'm looking for a cheap macro lens to use with my Sony A7. I'm not sure if I'm going to shoot macros often or not, so something that doesn't break my bank (say, under 100 EUR). I'm looking for a longer focal length because it should double as a short tele (and perhaps a portrait lens?) so that I can leave my Minolta 135 2.8 at home (it also has fungus and the aperture ring is missing the metal ball so it's clickless what really annoys me...).

So a macro lens 80-150mm with an aperture of 2.8 would be ideal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a 1:1 one, the Kiron 105/2.8 may be a good choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD 50/3.5 and 100/4 are both inexpensive.
Most 50 macro's are not expensive if they're not fast, so f3.5.
90-100mm macro's may be a bit harder to find very cheaply, Minolta isn't too bad, Tokina, Vivitar, Tamron 90/2.5's are all quite good.

There's lots of options out there, Pick the mount you want and search ebay for 50, 55, 58mm macro's, and 90, 100, 105mm macro's.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap macro lens 80-150 mm Reply with quote

Big R wrote:
Hi
I'm looking for a cheap macro lens to use with my Sony A7.

As a long-time owner/user of the Tamron Adaptall-II 90mm f/2.5 I'd strongly recommend it.

Do note, however, that there are at least three models.

Neither of the earlier lenses will achieve 1:1 macro on a full-frame camera without either the 01F 2x adapter for the 52B model, so effectively giving a 180mm f/5 lens, or the "not-so-easy-to-find" long extension tube for the later 52BB lens.

The 72B 90mm f/2.8 will achieve 1:1 magnification natively, but they seem to be thin on the ground.

Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 SMC Macro-Takumar 1:4/100

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap macro lens 80-150 mm Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Big R wrote:
Hi
I'm looking for a cheap macro lens to use with my Sony A7.

As a long-time owner/user of the Tamron Adaptall-II 90mm f/2.5 I'd strongly recommend it.

Do note, however, that there are at least three models.

Neither of the earlier lenses will achieve 1:1 macro on a full-frame camera without either the 01F 2x adapter for the 52B model, so effectively giving a 180mm f/5 lens, or the "not-so-easy-to-find" long extension tube for the later 52BB lens.

The 72B 90mm f/2.8 will achieve 1:1 magnification natively, but they seem to be thin on the ground.

Good luck Smile

Yes a very nice little lens - I was lucky enough to pick mine (1st model) up for £1, by acting unsure if the mount was right for my camera (it's changeable) before asking the price at a boot sale Smile

I find it easier to use extension tubes in the camera mount rather than try & fit them into the adaptall bit.

Another budget macro that performs well is the Cosina 100mm/3.5 but again it only reaches 1:2 on it's own...

There are loads of cheap macro primes around, pretty much all of them can give excellent results, but the focal length may need care. Working distance is related to the focal length - getting shots of insects with short focal length macros often needs extreme care, they tend to fly off before you can get close enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 macro is very nice and does 1:1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The macro tak that opsins mentioned also gets my vote. You can get a dectent copy for under a 100USD. Very sharp lens. I have better macros but not in that price range.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bang for the buck, Cosina made 100mm ƒ/3.5
https://www.flickr.com/groups/cosina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys so far. Smile

The slow 50mm variants are widely available. But as I'd like the macro to double as a short tele and portrait lens I wanted to aim for faster lenses in the 80mm+ range. As of yet I haven't found any of the lenses in my price range (the Kiron are quite expensive) but I will keep looking. The Cosina seems to be quite a bargain, but I don't know about the slow 3.5 aperture...

PS: The fact that everyone and it's uncle slaps a "macro" moniker on every tele-lens also doesn't help my search on ebay...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big R wrote:

The slow 50mm variants are widely available. But as I'd like the macro to double as a short tele and portrait lens I wanted to aim for faster lenses in the 80mm+ range. As of yet I haven't found any of the lenses in my price range (the Kiron are quite expensive) but I will keep looking. The Cosina seems to be quite a bargain, but I don't know about the slow 3.5 aperture...

PS: The fact that everyone and it's uncle slaps a "macro" moniker on every tele-lens also doesn't help my search on ebay...

Very good results can also be achieved by using any normal lens with cheaply available accessories such as macro tubes, achromatic close-up lenses (e.g. from Minolta) or the Vivitar 2X macro tele converter. That's all available for very little money and in the final result you'll barely see any difference to a picture taken with a dedicated macro lens. Maybe you should try this route first....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron (Kino) zooms can be very good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Big R wrote:

Very good results can also be achieved by using any normal lens with cheaply available accessories such as macro tubes, achromatic close-up lenses (e.g. from Minolta) or the Vivitar 2X macro tele converter. That's all available for very little money and in the final result you'll barely see any difference to a picture taken with a dedicated macro lens. Maybe you should try this route first....

I'll certainly second that advice, especially using achromatic diopters keep the lens speed!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

Another alternative would be a projection lens (usually quite fast, and rather cheap if taking some russian glass) plus a suitable long helicoid. I do this quite often for my flower work. See here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums

Here I used a f1.8/85mm Lomo projection lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157649076064138
and a 1.8/100mm here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157644011296955

Projection lenses work very well for portraits, due to their ability to seperate background quite well and
their often pleasant bokeh.

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:36 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big R wrote:

I don't think I've ever used my Cosina wide open, DOF generally requires f8 or slower in use.

Unfortunately it's not just tele lenses that get labeled macro without reaching even 1:2. I have 28mm & 24mm primes that are labeled macro but only reach ~1/3 life size at best. Probably better options than the numerous macro zooms, but still not macros (and of no use for insects etc).
At least with my Tamron 300mm (54B) they used 'telemacro' to describe it - IIRC it also reaches 0.3x unaided but has much better working distance than any of my other close-up options.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

I'll certainly second that advice, especially using achromatic diopters keep the lens speed!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

Another alternative would be a projection lens (usually quite fast, and rather cheap if taking some russian glass) plus a suitable long helicoid. I do this quite often for my flower work. See here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums

Projector lenses offer many options that are not affordable in camera lenses (like 40mm/2.8 perspective control, 50mm/1.2 & 85mm/2.8, each <£20) but their lack of aperture control limits them for macro IMO.
Enlarger lenses on the other hand are pretty good options for macro, just a pain that many of them have awkward size filter threads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Projector lenses offer many options that are not affordable in camera lenses (like 40mm/2.8 perspective control, 50mm/1.2 & 85mm/2.8, each <£20) but their lack of aperture control limits them for macro IMO.
Enlarger lenses on the other hand are pretty good options for macro, just a pain that many of them have awkward size filter threads.

He mentioned that he wanted faster lenses and also use it for portraits... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big R wrote:

Fast + Macro = $$$$, there's no way around that other than a helicoid or tubes with a fast lens.
Macro lenses are well corrected, increasing it's speed 1 f-stop will probably quadruple the cost of making the elements.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
DConvert wrote:
kds315* wrote:

He mentioned that he wanted faster lenses and also use it for portraits... Wink

I'm not disputing that projector lenses offer some great budget glass, just trying to make sure their limitations are recorded in the same place. They're more difficult to adapt than camera lenses, not using basic adapters & sometimes needing a little surgery - I had to trim a spare cm from the back of my 50/1.2 to get infinity focus.

I don't see them as a one lens does all type solution at all, though perhaps when I get an iris fitted this may change Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lightshow, you should not expect cheap fast macro all in one solution that can also do portrait, something's got to give. One of the macro lens that's relatively inexpensive is the Tamron adaptall-2 90mm ƒ/2.5.

At < $100 price range, your best bet is 100mm f/2.8 lens fitted with a helicoid adapter, for example, Nikon Series E 100/2.8, Olympus Zuiko 100/2.8, or Minolta 100/2.5 (the latter two are more around $150 ~ $200 range).

Zuiko MC 100mm ƒ/2.8, helicoid adapter on A6000:

DSC00908 by Brian Zhou, on Flickr

DSC00927 by Brian Zhou, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eno789 wrote:
I agree with Lightshow, you should not expect cheap fast macro all in one solution that can also do portrait, something's got to give. One of the macro lens that's relatively inexpensive is the Tamron adaptall-2 90mm ƒ/2.5.

It was often referred to, in its day, as "the industry standard" for macro lenses. It also had a very good reputation as a portrait lens and was marketed as for portraits.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another excellent lens in your price range that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Vivitar 135mm f2.8 Close Focus manufactured by Komine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Tamron 90 / 2.5 Macro would be my choice, or the big Minolta Rokkor 100 / 3.5. Both need the dedicated X2 Converter which is a bit of a nuisance, but they are great lenses.

I recently got a Makinon 135 / 2.8 Macro which has got a stuck wide open aperture at the moment, but it shows great promise for a cheap third party lens. If I don't destroy it when I try to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Both need the dedicated X2 Converter which is a bit of a nuisance, but they are great lenses.

Any tube of the right length will do the job. The air quality inside will be identical! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For portraits I would say the Tokina 90/2.5 is more than excellent. It's super sharp and contrasty wide open. Prices are unfortunately a bit steep in general.
I found mine a month ago for 125 € (about 145$) including the 1:1 adapter, which is a bargain. When you look around a lot and are patient you might find one too for a good price.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
For portraits I would say the Tokina 90/2.5 is more than excellent. It's super sharp and contrasty wide open. Prices are unfortunately a bit steep in general.
I found mine a month ago for 125 € (about 145$) including the 1:1 adapter, which is a bargain. When you look around a lot and are patient you might find one too for a good price.

I absolutely agree that the Tamron 2.5/90mm is excellent - certainly better than the (much older) Minolta MC/MD 3.5/100mm Macro.
I don't agree on the price, though - i got mine in a charity shop for about CHF 20.-- / EUR 20.--.

Stephan