Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 135 f2 on A7. First contact.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 135 f2 on A7. First contact. Reply with quote

As there are almost no pics on internet with this lens I decided to document the f2 aperture of this lens and share the results.

-On the first picture of each set I show the straight out of camera picture without cropping.
-The second one is the result after clicking the Lightroom "Auto" button on the exposure settings.
-The third one is a 100% crop straight out of camera.
-The fourth is the same crop but clicking the Lightroom "Auto" button on the exposure settings.
-The fifth one is after clicking the "remove chromatic aberration" checkbox and setting the "Defringe" slider to 6 on the purples and 10 on the greens.
-The sixth one is after applying sharpening mask. On the first set I forgot to do this and the sharpening mask is at the default Lightroom value of "25".

As you can see, on the first pic there is heavy fog, so the contrast is a bit lower than it should be.

All the processing done to reach the last pic takes 15 seconds and can be done selecting multiple pictures at once.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results, I've yet to hear about a bad Rokkor. But even the best of lenses need some processing to get the best out them, and it doesn't need much if the lens is is good.
The fog makes the bokeh redundant though. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same case - Review: Minolta MD 135mm F2.0 on Sony FF 24mp camera

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added the dedicated article with a few samples from Minolta MD 135mm F2.0

Some samples:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great lens, nice Greek colors
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos showing what this lens can do. This is the last Minolta lens i would like to add to my collection.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

super lens! super shots!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tf"]Just added the dedicated article with a few samples from Minolta MD 135mm F2.0

My own MD 2/135mm has been stolen some years ago - maybe going eastward towards Mother Russia ...?!?

Anyway, the MD 2/135mm certainly is the "sexiest" of all the Minolta 135mm lenses, and it is very well suited for beautiful portraits. That said, i replaced it with a Canon nFD 2/135mm and - later - a Nikkor AiS 2/135mm. The Canon focuses much easier / smoother, and the Nikkor (a heavy lens) renders very well in typical portrait situations. I never missed the Minolta for photographic reasons, to be honest. Of course i also looked at the Sony Zeiss ZA 1.8/135mm, which is an excellent lens - but it simply was too big and too heavy for travel photography.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

My own MD 2/135mm has been stolen some years ago - maybe going eastward towards Mother Russia ...?!?

Don't know what did you mean, but better to avoid joking linked with nations on the international forum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Don't know what did you mean, but better to avoid joking linked with nations on the international forum

Right - i owe you an explanation, of course Wink

During the time when my MD 2/135mm was stolen i was living in southern Switzerland, close to th Italian border. It was the time when
Switzerland just had entered the Schengen agreement (which meant no border controls between Switzerland and the neighboring
countries any more). Locally the burglaries were raising to an extent that - after a few months of trying conventional methods - the
Ticino police asked the Swiss army for help: For months thereafter every night around 00:00 some military drones were flying until
about 03:30 or 04:00, causing an awful noise in the previously very calm area. It didn't take much time - a few days only - and the first
professional gangs were caught: Eastern guys, and not (as many had suspected) people from Italy. Not much later some of my
equiment was stolen (including an A900, back then quite expensive, and the MD lenses 1.7/85, 2/135 and 2.8/200). Some surveillance
cameras took images; the same guy was responsible for another half dozen thefts on the same day(!), but he was never caught.

So that's why any MD 2/135mm always reminds me of eastern gangs of thieves ... Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional comparison of resolution on infinity distance - Minolta MD 135mm 1:2.0 versus Minolta MD 135mm 1:2.8 - both are MDIII version. No winners I think

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
Additional comparison of resolution on infinity distance - Minolta MD 135mm 1:2.0 versus Minolta MD 135mm 1:2.8 - both are MDIII version. No winners I think

Not really a surprise - both lenses were constructed by the same engineer within the same project and - probably - brought to more or less the same performance.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Not really a surprise - both lenses were constructed by the same engineer within the same project and - probably - brought to more or less the same performance.
Stephan

Is it the same about 135/3.5 MDIII? I've done 135/3.5 vs 135/2.8 comparison additionally, going to publish soon, but now just can say that the difference looks bit more noticeable and 128/2.8 is definitely winner against 135/3.5. My copies in my conditions at least - I mean.