Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Simlar f6.3 8.7cm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Simlar f6.3 8.7cm Reply with quote

Simlar was a brand name used by Tokyo Kogaku before they adopted the Topcon brand. However, they may not have made this lens as it says Made in Scotland on it.

There is no info on this lens t be found online, it looks like a macro lens to me, possibly with an M39 mount for use on bellows.

Does anyone know anything about this lens, or maybe owns one and has used it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an enlarger lens?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Maybe an enlarger lens?

Wouldn't surprise me, there's a Meopta next to it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I thought it might be an enlarger lens, although the lack of aperture gave me doubts. The Meopta doesn't indicate much, there's all kinds of other crap in the full version of the picture, the other lens you can see just a bit of is a Pentax c-mount lens for CCTV.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next guess would be a projector lens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever it is, it looks in decent condition, Ian. Not a great help, I know. I've puzzled over these "Made in Scotland" lenses myself, as does the Vade Mecum.

I hope this is not a Red Herring, but whenever I sight one of these I think of Ayrshire, but I have absolutely no idea why, as Ayrshire is rural.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking it might be a macro lens, but unless I see one very cheap, it shall remain a mystery.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I was thinking it might be a macro lens, but unless I see one very cheap, it shall remain a mystery.

The Vade Mecum says it has no iris, and so may not be photographic. I keep thinking it looks like one of the end pieces off a binocular.

For what it's worth, Sim is a Scottish borders name. Maybe where I'm getting Ayrshire from.