Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony Alpha and manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Sony Alpha and manual lenses Reply with quote

Please post your comments here for new members as a reference. Mount adapter, compatability, AF confirm chip availability etc

Last edited by hacksawbob on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/minolta_af_lens_adapter.htm M42 adapter available, but in body AF turned off Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sony Alpha and manual lenses Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Please post you comments if you have this setup.

I use A100 and M42 together. No problems except some problems with infinity focus, because adapters need to by pretty thin. That means you will need to do same sanding once in a while.

I am thinking to upgrade my camera to A700 next month.

But what exactly do you want to know? Just ask I will try to answer.

You shout also seek informations here. No1 internet resouse for Minolta/Sony.
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi is it correct there is no AF? that really pisses me off that they disable that feature when it is not necessary. Is there an AF chip available? what mounts other than M42 have tried/are available?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I own an A100, and a bunch of M42 lenses so I might be able to answer...

You are right, there no focus confirmation.
There are chips available, I got one from Haoda Fu that has 4 different focal length stored (50, 85, 135, 200) to enable antishake features. It does help, but I must say it is faster and easier to use the focusing screen I put in it. Well, sometimes.

I have some Adaptall-2 lenses, also, no problem at all, even though the adapters (I mean Minolta - AD2) are not easy to find and are pretty expensive, them. I use AD2-M42...
There are adapters for Pentacon6 lenses as well. Never tried any.
there is also an adapter for Minolta MD lenses which has a lens in it to correct for different Flange to film distance. It is said to degrade image quality a bit.

LeFanch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeFanch wrote:
Hi!

I have some Adaptall-2 lenses, also, no problem at all, even though the adapters (I mean Minolta - AD2) are not easy to find and are pretty expensive, them. I use AD2-M42...

LeFanch

Could you share the link for the adapters you use for the Adaptall-2 lenses. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chekawa wrote:
Could you share the link for the adapters you use for the Adaptall-2 lenses. Thanks!

Hi Chekawa,
I actually do not have a specific link for those adapters at the moment, as I found all mine on Ebay...
Here is one that is very expensive, and that's the only one I found today...
I got mine for 60€ from a german seller who was jumping ship to Canon (I think...)
The Adaptall2-M42 adapters are more common and a lot cheaper as you can see here and here.
That's the reason why I have only one Minolta AF adapter, and 3 M42 adapters (that's not necessary, but I quite like to change lens without changing mount all the time Smile )

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you hacksawbob.....
Yes it does seem a little bit on the high price side but not if you have allot of Adaptall lenses.

I have sort of been out of commission for a while and just started to get back into the swing of things. My M42 collection grew in the past year but I was unable to really get out and use them. But getting back to the Adaptall Adapter I think I might try it and but this collection of Adaptall lenses to work.
THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING THE LINK.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Zeiss ZA 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 DT Reply with quote

Not a manual lens but a Zeiss: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/zeiss_za_1680_3545/index.htm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeFanch wrote:
chekawa wrote:

Hi Chekawa,
The Adaptall2-M42 adapters are more common and a lot cheaper as you can see here and [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-Adaptall-mount-for-Pentax-M42-Universal- Smile )

Thank you for the information. I just received the Adaptall 2 custom mount for the Sony to Tamron. It does have a lens in the rear but I can use all the Adaptall's that I have. I haven't had the chance to test them all yet but I did with the 250mm macro and I was quite surprised at the results even with the 2X converter on it. I have allot of Adaptalls (Maybe30)to test. After the holidays I will post back.
Again thank you everyone for the links and information. All have a great holiday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What is the best dSLR for old Minolta mount lenses ? My knowloedge are around zero about that.

Thanks !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Hi,

What is the best dSLR for old Minolta mount lenses ? My knowloedge are around zero about that.

Thanks !

Hi Flor - the only DSLR with a register distance less than the Minolta MD cameras is the Olympus 4/3 range. I don't know whether adapters are available.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter !

I will digg to find out more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, there is some available adaptors (CameraQuest & Jinfinance), here is the way they are working :

http://rokkorfiles.com/olympus.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if any of you have experience with a C/Y to A mount adapter or know if this is possible at all. This suggest that it might be possible, but it might not work if the C/Y bayonet is to wide to go into the A bayonet with an adapter. It could be nice to get a drawing or something of the C/Y mount, and OM mount as well Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this adapter for Nikon to Minolta/Sony, has anyone tried this? How much does an extra element effect the end result?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Sony M42 adapter with focus confirmation Reply with quote

chipped Sony / M42 adapters with focus confirmation can be had:

http://haodascreen.com/m42minolta.aspx
http://eadpt.cn/eadpen.htm

without focus confirmation:
http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Minolta-Accessories/Lens-Mount-Adapter-for-M42-Lenses-pe-for-Sony-Alpha-a700-a200-a100-Minolta-Dynax-7D-5D::45.html?XTCsid=42d047805181a896c0088088e56b6226
http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/minolta_af_lens_adapter.htm

disclaimer:
I have not tried any and don't have any relation with producer/seller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sony M42 adapter with focus confirmation Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
chipped Sony / M42 adapters with focus confirmation can be had:
http://eadpt.cn/eadpen.htm

I have not tried any and don't have any relation with producer/seller

I have 4 or 5 of this adapters. They work great. I can recommend them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Sony Alpha bodies (A100, A700 and A350) with various mf lenses. It works fine, except that the A350 can only be used in manual mode (not A=aperture priority) unless you have a chipped adapter.
Apart from m42 and Adaptall-2 I also use some Pentacon lenses, sometimes with a tilt adapter.

/Erik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add that the a300 (and I assume the a350) is unable to fit the helios-40-2 on it. The helios is just too fat at the base and hits the protruding sony logo. Works fine on the a100 though...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:
I just want to add that the a300 (and I assume the a350) is unable to fit the helios-40-2 on it. The helios is just too fat at the base and hits the protruding sony logo. Works fine on the a100 though...

The A200, A300 and A350 have the same body, the only difference being the live view in A300 & A350, and the better sensor in the A350. So the Helios wouldn't fit any of them.

/Erik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
M42 adapter available, but in body AF turned off Rolling Eyes

Hi, im new, to the forum and photography in general really.
I have a Sony A200, and my friend has just given me a few old Carl Zeiss and Paragon lenses. Would they work using that adapter?

Sorry if i'm abit vague, I am quite good with a camera, just not with the theory. Very Happy
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

As you could read before M42 screw mount lenses will work with available adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathStone wrote:

Hi, im new, to the forum and photography in general really.
I have a Sony A200, and my friend has just given me a few old Carl Zeiss and Paragon lenses. Would they work using that adapter?

Do you know what mount your Carl Zeiss & Paragon lenses are? If they are M42, you are in luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have A200 + M42 adapter with the AF confirmation but i don't use the AF confirmation because it takes too long to get the confirmation. Besides the chip sometimes disconnects from the body and some motor inside the body is starting to run (usually for some 4-5 seconds) and freezes the camera since the lens is found (chip is again connected with the body). Besides the thread of the adapter is so strange... f.e. when i connect to the body my Tair 3S the focusing ring is (looking on the body from the screen/back side) on the left hand and all marks (aperture, focal length etc.) are on the right hand. The lens is screwed in the adapter/body almost quarter of the turn too far. BTW: the adapter costed ~35-40 EUR.