Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sankyo Kohki Komura 135mm f/2.3 preset M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Sankyo Kohki Komura 135mm f/2.3 preset M42 Reply with quote

16 blades preset

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/komura_1.html
Komura specs: 5 elements, min focus 5’ (I get about 4.5’), 115mm long, 23oz, 62mm filter

I don’t like 135mm, but this is the 6th such I have. I kind of like this one.

Wide open it shows spherical aberration, an a very thin area of focus. Probably good for some kind of soft focus portraits. By 2.8 the spherical aberration gets much better, but there’s still softness… eventually things solidify. The samples are all at 2.8, 4 or 5.6. I’ll post a wide open shot once I get one that’s not over exposed and where I actually have something useful in focus Very Happy

The bokeh looks to be very smooth and neutral, and color is very good.

@5.6, full size (100%) available as the largest size on flickr

f/4, I barely got the kid into focus – my other shots had the edge of the hedge in focus

f/4, full size (100%) available via flicr

f/4, this is a 100% crop, shows some softness (or slightly missed focus)… I just can’t do seagulls to the standards here Wink

f/2.3, shows the nice smooth oof, though over exposure on the gull

f/5.6, the lens handles a bright background pretty well

I have this down as f/2.3 but I think it’s really f/2.8

f/2.8 at around 5 ft

Last edited by Nesster on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Nesster- beautiful lens and great images -all of them- awesome color tones,sharpness, and wonderful bokeh- except for #5 where the bokeh is very pleasant but the white on the seagull's lower neck is and too bright- IMO.

Last edited by Kathmandu on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one of the "cult" Komuras, the larger aperture line. You are lucky to have it, these go for considerable prices.

Like all the Komuras I know it gives wonderful colors, they often have that warm golden glow.

I like your shots, they are from New Jersey ?

This looks like a great lens for seagull portraits !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - these are in Hoboken. (almost wrote Hobokeh Laughing )

They go for good prices? I won't say how little I paid then Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Wow Nesster- beautiful lens and great images -all of them- awesome color tones,sharpness, and wonderful bokeh- except for #5 where the bokeh is very pleasant but the white on the seagull's lower neck is and too bright- IMO.

You are right, and when I went back to look at what was on my card, I do believe the shot is actually wide open - a similar blow-out is evident on all shots I did at 2.3. The damn thing was over exposing even at ISO200 and 1/4000s.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody please tell me which interchangeable mount system this lens is based on? Is it unidapter? Komura seems to have had a lot of different interchangeable mount systems. Also, I'd like to understand which lenses were also produced with exactly the same interchangeable mount system (apart from the preset 135mm f2, 85mm f1.4 and 105mm f2).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE shots, the bokeh is wonderfully smooth looking. Its a keeper.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diddy I have 135mm F2.8 with M42 Uni Adaptor that Komura made

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@eddieitman: thanks for your reply! I am trying to understand which adapter system the 135mm f2.3 lens has - is it unidapter (or sometimes mentioned as uni adaptor)?

I had a look at this page: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Sanky%C5%8D_K%C5%8Dki. So it seems like the unidapter changed slightly from preset to auto. I have a preset 135mm f2.3 and the Super Komura 925 Zoom and it doesn't look like the same adapter system.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what size sensor in your camera?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135/2.5 used "high speed adapter #2", which is like a Unidapter but larger diameter. See http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/komura_1.html