Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help Adapting a Schneider Xenon 50mm 1.9 DKL to Sony E
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Help Adapting a Schneider Xenon 50mm 1.9 DKL to Sony E Reply with quote

Hi all! This is my first post here. I've recently acquired a Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm f/1.9 Xenon in DKL mount and want to adapt it to a Sony A7RIII (Sony E). I researched before I purchased the lens and saw that I needed a DKL to Sony-E adapter. I purchased one off of ebay but it doesn't work. I'm not sure if the issue is the lens or the mount.

On the lens, there are two tabs. Are they both supposed to spring back when you slide them? On mine, only one springs back. The other stays where you put it.

Here's a video showing the lens and working the aperture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CP8dLk4WnM&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by checkerfred on Thu May 31, 2018 9:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which part does not work?
Once you have attached the lens to the adapter, you change the aperture via the aperture ring on the adapter - is this the part that is not working?
Is the lens firmly engaged onto the adapter so that it clicks into place when attached?
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the DKL adapter I have (which is DKL to m42) does not work on SK edixa type dkl. The aperture control doesn't function and the lock does not engage. I do have good luck with nearly all other DKL lenses (except the vitessa which is truly a different mount as the aperture is on the lens rather than on the camera. I do recommend the m42 (Or DKL to EOS) route as then you can use the m42 (or EOS) nex helical which makes DKL lenses far easier to use. What type lens do you have? My cheap version works with both Kodak retina, and voigtlander bessamatic lenses. my adapter is like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DKL-M42-Voigtlander-Retina-DKL-Lens-to-M42-Screw-mount-camera-Adapter-ZENIT/282412599111?hash=item41c11a4747:g:r28AAOSwMM9a~O1t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DKL mount does vary slightly between camera manufacturers. Is your lens a "Retina-Xenon" or some other make? On my Retina-Xenon f/1.9 50mm, both tabs spring back when operated manually, as they do on my other Retina lenses.

When viewing the lens from the rear, with the focussing index to the top, the right-hand tab just operates the aperture, the left-hand tab operates both the aperture and the depth-of-field indicators.

Lenses produced for the Kodak Instamatic Reflex do not have the depth-of-field indicators, unfortunately I no longer own one of these for comparison.

I use my lenses with a DKL-PK adaptor with no problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

as Kypher says, one of those tabs controls only the aperture, and the other controls the aperture + DOF indicators. I watched your video and can see that you indeed have a Retina-Xenon, but couldn't be sure that the broken tab was the left or right one as cypher described (they should move in unison when working properly).

So you definitely have a problem, but when you say the adapter isn't working, can you be more specific? Is the aperture working but not the DOF indicators (in which case your left-hand tab is the one that is broken)? If the aperture will not open at all, then I'd return the lens.

Also, as others have mentioned, the best option for working with DKL lenses on the A7-series is to mount them on an intervening adapter that has a focus helicoid, which allows you to overcome the long minimum focus distances that these lenses have. I used the DKL-to-M42 adapter made by eBay seller c-yeenon. It's excellent. I then mount lens+adapter on a M42-to-E adapter (with focus helicoid, also made by c-yeenon).

Good luck, the Retina-Xenon is a lovely lens

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies...It was an issue with the lens. I returned it to the person I bought it from on Ebay. I then bought another that had the same issue but not as bad. I ended up taking it apart and cleaning everything. Took a while to get it back together properly but not it works great!