Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Telyt 200mm/F4 (Visoflex M39 version)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Leitz Telyt 200mm/F4 (Visoflex M39 version) Reply with quote

Today I've finally got my "newest" lens which completes now my Leitz LTM/M39 lens collection from 50 to 280mm (50/90/135/200/280). Shorter focus lengths are well served by my beloved Voigtlaender M39 lenses from 12 to 75mm. So I'm rather complete now.
If I find a Telyt 400mm/F5 at a bargain price I could eventually change my mind. Wink

My Telyt 200 was made in 1959. The lens remained unchanged in production from 1958 until 1978.
Specifications can be seen here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/F_%3D_20_cm_1:4_Telyt

I mainly bought the lens for my Ricoh GXR-M (APS-C) camera and use only the "sweet spot" of the lens. About the different ways to adapt any Visoflex lens to any digital camera I've already written in my post about the Telyt 280mm: http://forum.mflenses.com/leitz-telyt-ii-280mm-f4-8-latest-visoflex-m39-version-t76573.html . Due to the long register distance of 61.5mm there are several options for using Visoflex lenses also on DSLR cameras. Most probably I will also use it on my Sony A850 FF-camera.

The weather allows at the moment only indoor shooting but I will provide more examples as soon as the weather improves.

These are the first test shots (rather quick and dirty) both taken wide open at F4. Shooting distance was nearly 4m according markings of the lens (MFD is apprx. 3m). The figure of the first picture is apprx. 17cm in height.

I am rather satisfied with its performance. The lens is more than usable at F4. At least I didn't realize any shortcomings so far.
According Puts it reaches its best performance at F8 (for FF camera).

Cheers,

Last edited by tb_a on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:08 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more example wide open:

I like the OOF rendering very much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to enable the use of this Visoflex lens on my Sony A850 FF-camera I've used a step-up ring M39 to M42, two Pentax M42 macro tubes stacked together (total 38mm) and a M42 to Minolta AF adapter. That allows focusing from 3m to infinity (and beyond Wink ).

Unfortunately the weather isn't really nice outside (foggy). Nevertheless I've made some test shots to show the lens also on FF-camera.

The performance isn't bad at all also on FF (bearing in mind that the lens is almost 60 years old). For the money I've paid (150 Euro) I consider it as a real bargain and it's usable on all of my cameras without any restriction.

100% crop of #2 for the pixel peepers:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice portrait of your dog!
Like 1

Last edited by Minolfan on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images indeed.
But who pruned that rose bush
Laugh 1
T

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gentlemen!

Oldhand wrote:

Well, that's a classical winter cut. I'm sure it will be nice and full of blooms next summer again. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Thank you, gentlemen!

Oldhand wrote:

Well, that's a classical winter cut. I'm sure it will be nice and full of blooms next summer again. Wink

Yes I'm sure it will.
I guess we prune differently here - to me it needs thinning and more care taken to prune near the outward facing buds.
Apologies for de-railing the thread - meant to be a throw away comment in jest
T

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sun is back! Tried the Telyt 200 with a 2x Teleconverter (of mediocre quality) on the Ricoh GXR-M which results in a FF FOV equivalence of 600mm:

The result is surprisingly usable I would say (shot free hand):

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, surprisingly good image for a mediocre (as you described it) quality 2x Teleconverter. It clearly shows the quality of the old 200mm f/4 Telyt.
I have it too and the only drawback I could notice is the CA at f/4 which, while undisturbing in normal light, is noticeable in strong light (but still easy to correct in PS). At f/5.6-f/11 it disappears completely.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Indeed, surprisingly good image for a mediocre (as you described it) quality 2x Teleconverter. It clearly shows the quality of the old 200mm f/4 Telyt.
I have it too and the only drawback I could notice is the CA at f/4 which, while undisturbing in normal light, is noticeable in strong light (but still easy to correct in PS). At f/5.6-f/11 it disappears completely.

Well, it's a WEP Autotelex 2X converter which sells on Ebay betw. 5 and 30 Euros. You cannot expect anything from that normally.
However, mine (Nikon version) was free of charge and it fits perfectly between my Visoflex to Nikon and Nikon to Leica M adapter.
At least it was worth a try. Wink

BTW, the test shot was taken at F8.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more examples from my today's walk all shot with Ricoh GXR-M:

100% crop of #4 above:

I'm beginning to love this lens. The quality of the crop is rather impressive, at least for my taste.
All pictures shot at F8 freehand RAW. Developed and resized with minor adjustments in LR6.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I've tested this lens on my new A7R II (42MP/FF) and I'm rather impressed by it's performance. Actually there is nothing to complain about, except that the adapter caused some vignetting in the very outer corners.

All shot free hand at F8 and ISO 800 for short exposure time. Please click on pictures for larger view with better quality.

100 % corner crop of #2

At least on my new 32inch 4K UHD monitor it's looking very impressive.