Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 90mm f/2.5 macro, some first shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Tokina 90mm f/2.5 macro, some first shots Reply with quote

I was lucky to find this lens + 1:1 extender for a very good price.
Here are some first test shots, on a Sony A7, all handheld.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79,

The bokeh on that third pic is luscious!

I don't have the 1:1 extender. Do you know it's length so I can approximate it with some tubes?

-Noah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason this lens called the "bokina".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noahwrote wrote:
caspert79,

I don't have the 1:1 extender. Do you know it's length so I can approximate it with some tubes?

-Noah

The extender has glass in it, so It’s probably not exactly the same as a ring. But I’m sure you’d get pretty good results with some rings or a bellows. You could go to 1:1 and well beyond.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noahwrote wrote:
caspert79,

-Noah

Which mount? there are a few (PK, FD & OM) on ebay now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokina-AT-X-Macro-Extender-For-90mm-f-2-5-FD-Mount-Camera-Lens/123102174662
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokinar-90-mm-f-2-5-extender-for-macro-lens-Olympus-mount/253620287500
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokina-AT-X-Macro-Extender-fur-Pentax/232780869719

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new shots from last weekend:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Komine factory version for Vivitar, same 90mm f/2,5 description but different construction. Cheaper and already really really good...

Flou d'orchidées by Yann Dubois, sur Flickr

I'm waiting for the coming days the real Tokina version and i'll make some side shots. I think the global render is the same, just sharpness and chromatic correction seems to differ and be of course better on Tokina version.
Don't know if formula is different or just build, glass and coating quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome shot of the butterfly!
I think the main difference is the coating. The Tokina seems to suffer from some CA as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Awesome shot of the butterfly!
I think the main difference is the coating. The Tokina seems to suffer from some CA as well.

I just found the post again : http://forum.mflenses.com/tokina-at-x-2-5-90mm-the-bokina-ii-t30894.html
But i didn't see the test was between the Vivitar 2,8 and the Tokina 2,5 so i don't know...on this link, you can see there's a real difference in chromtic abberation and sharpness with the other lenses but there is no Komine 2,5 in the balance...
I'll try to make another boring testing post with the 2 versions soon...i'm sure you can't spot those differences on a standard real situation shot but it's always interesting to know how far you can push a lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was confused. The komine cannot be the same as the Tokina. I used to have a Vivitar 90/2.8 that was pretty good, i guess Komine made?
I think for far subjects it was actually better than the Kiron 105mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noahwrote wrote:
caspert79,

-Noah

To double the magnification of a lens extend by half the focal length.