Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Experimental modifying of lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Experimental modifying of lenses? Reply with quote

Have anybody here tried to remove elements in old lenses in order to create spectactular images? Are there anything on the web regarding this topic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, well actually, it's easy to do. because front group is replacable.
http://forum.mflenses.com/rodenstock-heligon-50-2-bokeh-show-t46548,highlight,%2Bheligon.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen something on the web about removing the rear group from a 50mm prime to make a soft focus lens.
Simple enough to do (& reversible) so I tried it with one of my spares. The modified lens has a focal length about twice the originals so has to be mounted via bellows or similar to get focus, but with that results were quite acceptable. A lovely glow wide open which reduces fairly rapidly as the lens is stopped down.
I suspect stopped down half a stop would be good for portraits, but in 4 years have never got round to trying them. Rolling Eyes

Here's an example of the lens used half a stop down:
soft focus mod half stop down by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it most times the other way round, and add some lenses. Sometimes I use modified speedboosters, but somtimes I use other normal lenses or lens-parts (for example achromats) as speedbooster.

Homemade Speedbooster

Here with an old episcope lens and some normal lens as speedbooster, is someting like 150mm f/1.2
Deer-Portrait by Markus, auf Flickr

I think the same lens setup here:
Contax Rangefinder Colordial by Markus, auf Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Excellent Markus!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend made for me a two-part lens. Part #1: LOMO RF-4 360mm f/10 large format lens (from Russian FKD 5x7" wooden field camera); part #2: front group (3 elements) from Meteor-8M 9-38mm f/1.8 (standart zoom lens for 8mm USSR cameras Quartz-1 and Quartz-2):

The result is something like this:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures I took with a modified Olympus 28mm. I removed a glass inside and turned a rear glass the other way. The pictures are not very sharp, but from the center and to the edges they get a very diffuse and strange effect.
It works best on close up photos.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY interesting image. I like this one a lot. Like 1 small
Eriksen wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:
My friend made for me a two-part lens. Part #1: LOMO RF-4 360mm f/10 large format lens (from Russian FKD 5x7" wooden field camera); part #2: front group (3 elements) from Meteor-8M 9-38mm f/1.8 (standart zoom lens for 8mm USSR cameras Quartz-1 and Quartz-2):

The result is something like this:

On which format was the midge image shot and was it cropped?