Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this a factory mod? (Zeiss Tessar 2,8/50)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Is this a factory mod? (Zeiss Tessar 2,8/50) Reply with quote

Hey guys!
I have a Zeiss Tessar, with an unusual plunger-spring arrangement on the bottom. I've read that the 3rd bauform had something like this ,but that source didn't mention the aluminium protector block. The plunger itself is to release the aperture, after opening it with the spring mechanism of the lens. What do you think, is this a factory piece? Is it an aftermarket addition? Does any of you have a 3rd bauform Tessar to compare it with?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a factory mod? (Zeiss Tessar 2,8/50) Reply with quote

vld668 wrote:
Hey guys!
I have a Zeiss Tessar, with an unusual plunger-spring arrangement on the bottom. I've read that the 3rd bauform had something like this ,but that source didn't mention the aluminium protector block. The plunger itself is to release the aperture, after opening it with the spring mechanism of the lens. What do you think, is this a factory piece? Is it an aftermarket addition? Does any of you have a 3rd bauform Tessar to compare it with?

Here you go.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say looking at the crudeness of the mod it would be a home made mod, not a factory mod.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I would say looking at the crudeness of the mod it would be a home made mod, not a factory mod.

Indeed, I've never seen that before.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for crude, +1 for not a factory mod.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's what started my suspicion, but the big aluminium protector seems factory, it's the same color and texture as the lens body.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts:

Perhaps it's been adapted to be used in some sort of automated role. Meter reading, arial, lab or something of that nature. Would be interesting to see what it was attached to.

Incidentally, talking of which, I remember seeing a machine advertised that used normal Nikon 50mm lenses for some purpose. What they were attached to certainly wasn't a camera in the way we know it. Maybe similar?

Does the screw sticking out actuate the aperture? There is no manual setting that I can see, perhaps this is some over engineered manual aperture mod???

But if it works...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Some thoughts:

Perhaps it's been adapted to be used in some sort of automated role. Meter reading, arial, lab or something of that nature. Would be interesting to see what it was attached to.

Incidentally, talking of which, I remember seeing a machine advertised that used normal Nikon 50mm lenses for some purpose. What they were attached to certainly wasn't a camera in the way we know it. Maybe similar?

Does the screw sticking out actuate the aperture? There is no manual setting that I can see, perhaps this is some over engineered manual aperture mod???

But if it works...

Yes, it actuates the apperture release, and it works well, it's just something I haven't seen anywhere else.