Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pimping out a Diaplan 100mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Pimping out a Diaplan 100mm Reply with quote

So I'm about to be a proud owner of a Diaplan 100mm f/2.8 that is on its way from Germany. To make it a real Trioplan replacement I would like to add an aperture and helicoid for focusing.
What is the best solution? Recommended parts to get, etc.

The lens itself was 35 EUR, and preferably the total should be lower than a Trioplan or it defeats the purpose Smile

I'm open to skipping the aperture, but if it can be added behind the lens and still work ok that's good.

Maybe this will work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/IRIS-DIAPHRAGM-Aperture-blade-with-M42-x1mm-thread-casing/263262144006?epid=2201878463&hash=item3d4ba58606:g:264AAOSwUSJZ4YC-

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should work okay. I'm hoping for a cheap diaphragm with helical m42 to nex adapter.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try old shutters, broken enlarger/repo lens and 135mm lenses etc...

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already pointed out, a helical m42 to nex adapter + some m42 close-up rings will do the job.
To adapt a diaphragm between-the-lens to this lens is not simple. I have the 80mm f/2.8 Diaplan and the barrel is made of plastic. If yours is plastic-boded too then the only way to separate the front and rear lens groups is by cutting the plastic lens body. The problem is that you don't know the thickness of the glass groups inside and therefor where to cut the barrel. I shouldn't try it.

The smaller diameter of my 80mm diaplan entered nicely inside the longer of the M42 close-up rings and I glued my lens inside it. This way it now has a M42 mount. I've glued a M42-to-M42 adapter ring to the front of the lens, as well, and now I can mount a hood (the other M42 close-up adapter rings can be used as M42 hoods) on it, too. A deep hood increased the contrast substantially.

A rear diaphragm can be easily adapted but by closing the diaphragm you'll progressively lose the "bubble bokeh" effect - the reason you bought the lens in the first place. The lens renders nicely wide opened (and even better with a hood). I've cutted some cardboard openings of different diameters and rear-mounted them on my Diaplan to see how the rendering changes when the diaphragm is closing and my conclusion was that the wide-opened rendering is the most appealing. You could try the same prior of ordering the diaphragm.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Should work okay. I'm hoping for a cheap diaphragm with helical m42 to nex adapter.

That would be nice to have.
At the moment I got one of those 1mm thick m42 to nex adapters. It makes it quite easy to combine these separate items.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Never thought about that, thanks! I think I have an old, non working 105mm 6x9 camera lens.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
As already pointed out, a helical m42 to nex adapter + some m42 close-up rings will do the job.
To adapt a diaphragm between-the-lens to this lens is not simple. I have the 80mm f/2.8 Diaplan and the barrel is made of plastic. If yours is plastic-boded too then the only way to separate the front and rear lens groups is by cutting the plastic lens body. The problem is that you don't know the thickness of the glass groups inside and therefor where to cut the barrel. I shouldn't try it.

The smaller diameter of my 80mm diaplan entered nicely inside the longer of the M42 close-up rings and I glued my lens inside it. This way it now has a M42 mount. I've glued a M42-to-M42 adapter ring to the front of the lens, as well, and now I can mount a hood (the other M42 close-up adapter rings can be used as M42 hoods) on it, too. A deep hood increased the contrast substantially.

A rear diaphragm can be easily adapted but by closing the diaphragm you'll progressively lose the "bubble bokeh" effect - the reason you bought the lens in the first place. The lens renders nicely wide opened (and even better with a hood). I've cutted some cardboard openings of different diameters and rear-mounted them on my Diaplan to see how the rendering changes when the diaphragm is closing and my conclusion was that the wide-opened rendering is the most appealing. You could try the same prior of ordering the diaphragm.

Mine has the metal barrel. Yes I will leave mine intact since I don't have the skill to cut and place the aperture at the optimal location anyway. I understand that the bubbles will disappear when stopping down. It will be used at f/2.8 the most yes. But having the ability to stop down can be very useful from time to time. I like to take long walks carrying a single lens.

Like you I have experimented in a similar way to stop down my P-Rokkor 75mm lens. It gained considerable sharpness.

So far non of my around 100mm 2.8 projector lenses fit inside the m42 mount unfortunately. Therefore I had to get a m52 to m42 helicoid adapter, and make temporary mountings with tape on the lens to increase the thickness to make them just right to be squeezed inside the m52 mount. Not optimal Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An external M42 diaphragm works really well.

I have a blog post on projection lenses and using them with external diaphragms. It's in Turkish but has sample pics and can give an idea.

http://makrodunyasi.com/projeksiyon-lensi-ile-fotograf-cekimi/

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guraydere wrote:
An external M42 diaphragm works really well.

I have a blog post on projection lenses and using them with external diaphragms. It's in Turkish but has sample pics and can give an idea.

http://makrodunyasi.com/projeksiyon-lensi-ile-fotograf-cekimi/

Very good photos and inspiration for the adaptation!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My way of mouning it when you have the outer tube, see at the bottom:
http://www.4photos.de/test/Meyer-Goerlitz-Trioplan-100mm-2.8.html

And something like that would work when you need an own helicoid:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Som-Berthiot-75mm-1.8-conversion.html

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting solution! I'd rather not glue if I can get away with it. But I will do it as a last resort.
There was no outer tube included in my auction unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use most times hot glue. This is with some care and not cheapest material good enough, but one can open it again. The opening and cleaning away of the glue is some work, and has risk of scratching the housing. But I use it often, cause I do a lot of experimentaion. This monday alone I glued like five lenses to make them usable. Ranging from a big 300mm f/2.8 down to a small Petzval.
And I made another universal helicoid out of such a macro teleconverter, there I used my lathe and mill for a permanent compact solution.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a M52 to M42 focusing helicoid. With my lathe, I removed a small amount of metal from the lens until it fit snuggly in place.

The pictures show the M42 to NEX adapter also attached.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean build! Like 1

Can't wait to get my lens Smile

My current solution:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It finally arrived. And as a bonus the mount/focus mechanism was included, nice!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the project. I'm quite happy with this solution.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Have you posted images?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very neat indeed!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

luisalegria wrote:
Very neat indeed!

Thanks! I have only taken a few boring test shot in my garden so far. But I made a thread earlier with the freelensing technique:
http://forum.mflenses.com/diaplan-100mm-28-test-t79313.html

That one has fungus but I got a new one now, it was also dirty but not as bad.

I bought a lens spanner so perhaps I can clean them, but consider getting one of those rubber tools that does the same thing with no damage.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
woodrim wrote:

luisalegria wrote:
Very neat indeed!

Thanks! I have only taken a few boring test shot in my garden so far. But I made a thread earlier with the freelensing technique:
http://forum.mflenses.com/diaplan-100mm-28-test-t79313.html

That one has fungus but I got a new one now, it was also dirty but not as bad.

I bought a lens spanner so perhaps I can clean them, but consider getting one of those rubber tools that does the same thing with no damage.

Well, you certainly got soap bubbles from it. Do you know something I don't? I did not see any way of opening the lens to clean. Mine is a metal version and has some slight haze inside.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal metal barrel on mine too. In the back I see a retaining ring that looks like it's supposed to be unscrewed with a lens spanner.
Many bubbles yes!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Never thought about that, thanks! I think I have an old, non working 105mm 6x9 camera lens.

I don't know if there is anything useful here:

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/empty-lens/