Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mystery lens - Aetna Coligon 100/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Mystery lens - Aetna Coligon 100/2.5 Reply with quote

Oooh you know when you see something, but you're not really sure what it is, what mount it has, whether it's full of fungus or whether you really need another 100mm prime? Well, I saw this one and went for it Laughing

It's what I love about MF lenses, you can end up with quite literally anything! Based upon other Aetnas I've seen discussed on here, it's likely to be a Tamron or Tokina, so should be OK. I'm hoping it has a T-mount.

Either way, I'm sure I'll find out next week and give you some test shots!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a nice Japanese lens I am curious!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it may be a Sankor, its got that look.

Odds are its a T-mount. Looks like an Exakta mount on it right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

You may well be right about the Sankor link...taking a second look at the barrel, it looks like it may be silver and black, while at first I thought that was just the reflection from the flash...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess also Exakta or early Konica F

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Very similar to my sankor 3,5/135.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same lens for a number of years, it is a T-mount. Mine is branded as a Spiratone lens, even came with a Spiralite UV filter that appeared to remain mounted on the lens from the day it was bought. It also came with an identical case to yours. I also have a near-matching Spiratone 35mm 2.8 T-mount. I don't think I've seen another one until I stumbled onto this post. I've liked using it in film, from the few practical tests I've done it is fine in the center but soft towards the edges at larger apertures but then that may be partly because of the fairly close testing I did - for a lens of this focal length, a little softness towards the edges is often unimportant anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery lens arrived today! I've given it a quick clean (not a proper one though, look at the dust at the rear Laughing ) and it looks lovely, just like a Sankor (as mentioned earlier).

I unscrewed the mount but there is no screw, so it's NOT a t-mount Shocked It's like a flat rounded plastic piece underneath, so I presume this is intended as a fixed mount Exakta. The glass is recessed though, so it could probably be adjusted.

I guess my best bet is to screw on a M39 adapter and then an M42 adapter to connect to my Sony? Or I guess I could get an Exakta to Eos adapter for my Eos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few quick shots of my copy. Mine is labeled as 105mm, though I have no doubt it's the same lens optically. Too bad that your copy is not a T-mount, unfortunately this isn't the first time I've seen an older lens in both T-mount and 'non' T-mount. I have two copies of a Komura 135mm lens, basically the same lens other than some mild cosmetic changes and also one is ?? mount (edit: not T-mount) and the other is not (has a mount that slips on and off with only 3 small side screws holding it on the lens, this is a Unidapter maybe?).

Last edited by F16 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat rounded plastic ? A picture would be interesting. The lens looks like a T-mount type indeed.

I didn't think Komuras came in T-mounts. Many came in Komuras answer to the T-mount, the Unidapter, which was pretty much a T-mount but a different, wider thread (48mm? I need to measure mine).

Some other long Komuras came in M39 Visoflex and Komura sold them with an SLR adapter, like a long T-mount.

A Komura genuine 42mm T-mount would be a bit of a collectible.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that luisalegria, I was incorrect in thinking it was T-mount, I have yet to do much research or make sense of my two copies of my Komura 135mm F2.3 lenses. One copy has a wide (just measured at 54mm), narrow threaded mount adapter for M42, the other copy's mount adapter does not even thread on, it is just held on with 3 side screws & the camera mount is about 1.5mm wider than M42. I should start a separate thread about them rather than discuss them here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally like Ebay linking, but I thought you might be interested in this expired auction - Click here to see on Ebay
Clearly a close relative to our lenses. Probably the smallest lens I've seen with a tripod mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've seen that style around. There is a more common type that is almost identical that is certainly made by Tokyo Koki/Tokina.

I suspect there may have been two very similar lenses being sold into the third-party distribution business in those days, one line made by Tokina and another by Sankor, and in the case of the 200/4.5 of their respective lines the resemblances were uncanny - or perhaps deliberate.

For what its worth, the usual style of the Sankor lenses is certainly more attractive.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great info guys! The mount on my Aetna is actually held on with three small side screws, as F16 aluded to.

I will remove them again tonight and take some photos. The bit underneath the Exakta mount is certainly wider than a T-mount (I held an M42 T-mount up to it).

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a massive breakthrough today!!

Whilst sorting out a load of unwanted lenses to sell, I cam across a totally knackered Paragon 135/2.8 with blades all over the place. This one also had a mount held in place by three small screws. So...I unscrewed it and replaced the Exacta mount with the M42 Paragon mount, and guess what? A perfect fit!!

Here's a few VERY quick test shots...most surprising of all, the lens reaches infinity!!! So maybe the lens is of t-mount specification, but intended to have a mount fixed onto it permanantly? Weird, but I don't care as I now have a really cheap 100mm M42 prime Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity doo dah! Always nice when an unexpected plan comes together.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find and even better luck Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you show a photo of the lens with the mount adapter removed? I don't know what the proper name is for the mount design, but it sounds like it was probably an interchangeable mount system used for a short time, maybe around the same time that the T-mount system was started. Not a surprise that it focuses to infinity if the mount system matched your other lens, awesome that you were lucky enough to already have a mount. And it looks like your lens is performing respectably, just like my Spiratone copy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fee like home here as I started to collect vintage lenses in 2003 and stopped for nearly 15 years. Are those "old fellows" in this thread still
here? I hope you are!

I am reviving this thread as I got a same copy. I've read MFG's posts many times during this acquiring and mount identifying process.
In the end, I had a similar interesting story and the finding is that this is a Nikon F mount, my lovely Nikon F mount! It will join my
Nikon AI/AIs mount lens family (not a single Nikkor, many of them Vivitar and Soligor). Here are two test shots. Finally I got the
circular bokeh in the rumor (and certainly in reality...).