Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar 50-2 f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Industar 50-2 f/3.5 Reply with quote

I took my recently acquired Industar 50-2 f/3.5 lens for a quick test run yesterday. Here's a quick picture of this tiny weeny lens (taken with a 35mm Porst f/2.8 at ISO 1600 just for kicks!):

I tried a few different scenarios - first the bokeh:

Seems quite good to me, sometimes it seemed to get a bit busy, other times where you'd think it would look like a complete dogs dinner, it was fine.

The next one is shot directly into the sun:

There is some flare there, which is hardly surprising given the design of the lens. In fact, when taking this shot, when moving the focus ring you could see a pattern from the serrated edge. Definitely could benefit from a lens hood!

This next image is something just to show how well it handles a reasonably lit scene in the afternoon sun, pointing away from the sun this time:

I set this at the hyperfocal distance for f/8, so it's just slightly out of focus in the background.

Generally speaking, it seems quite a sharp lens at smaller apertures, the bokeh seems quite pleasant, and due to it's size, it is very light. All the above images were taken on a Canon 5D3 and exported from Lightroom with default settings.

Oh, and one more thing - this particular lens takes a 36mm push-on lens cap - the actual lens caps must have been terrible as the lenses on ebay never seem to come with them, so if anyone does want a cheap bargain lens and needs a lens cap, bear that in mind (also, I believe that the newer versions may use a different size for the cap!).

Thanks...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Industar 50-2 f/3.5 Reply with quote

The first image is very nice, but in general, your copy lack contrast quite a bit. Most of my I-50-2 perform better. I once cleaned a copy that had a lot of fungus, and even though the fungus was completely gone, the results with it where similar to yours. Anyway, it is a very nice lens, I do recommend it to everyone Smile .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's due to not having any coatings, so it's quite a low contrast lens. My Helios 44-2 also doesn't have any lens coatings, but there's something about these lenses that can make them work quite well in certain situations.

If I was posting up on Google+ I usually do some editing first (for example, this birch tree was also taken with the Industar 50-2 and it's been tweaked about with...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Industar 50-2 f/3.5 Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
The first image is very nice, but in general, your copy lack contrast quite a bit. Most of my I-50-2 perform better. I once cleaned a copy that had a lot of fungus, and even though the fungus was completely gone, the results with it where similar to yours. Anyway, it is a very nice lens, I do recommend it to everyone Smile .

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snodge wrote:
I think it's due to not having any coatings, so it's quite a low contrast lens. My Helios 44-2 also doesn't have any lens coatings, but there's something about these lenses that can make them work quite well in certain situations.

If I was posting up on Google+ I usually do some editing first (for example, this birch tree was also taken with the Industar 50-2 and it's been tweaked about with...

Why don`t they have coating? Did somebody remove it ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandal!

The 50-2 is such a wonderful little nugget of a thing. If I honestly only had to have one.. yeah ok it probably wouldn't be it, but heck... I suppose it's not difficult to clone a Tessar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:

The lenses when they were made were just made without coatings. It keeps them cheap, and I guess it's after this that they started making more expensive lenses with coatings on that provided better contrast and helped to cut down on this like lens flare etc.

I think the Industar 50 and 50-2 lenses are around some of the cheapest you can get...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snodge wrote:
Drack wrote:

The lenses when they were made were just made without coatings. It keeps them cheap, and I guess it's after this that they started making more expensive lenses with coatings on that provided better contrast and helped to cut down on this like lens flare etc.

I think the Industar 50 and 50-2 lenses are around some of the cheapest you can get...

You are wrong. Both the I-50-2 and the Helios-44-2 have coating. I do not think they are multi-coated, but the coating is there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
Snodge wrote:
Drack wrote:

You are wrong. Both the I-50-2 and the Helios-44-2 have coating. I do not think they are multi-coated, but the coating is there.

Consider me mistaken! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an I-50 on my first Zenit. It was a truly awful lens, no contrast and terrible at the edges. Now with crop sensors we are losing all that terrible edge definition. I have a 1954 rangefinder version that came with a Zorki 2C which I intend to use to see if it is any better than the 1973 version.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I had an I-50 on my first Zenit. It was a truly awful lens, no contrast and terrible at the edges. Now with crop sensors we are losing all that terrible edge definition. I have a 1954 rangefinder version that came with a Zorki 2C which I intend to use to see if it is any better than the 1973 version.

I`ve used multiple I-50 over my time collecting Russian gear, and I have to say, that there ar a LOT of difference in quality amongst them. The collapsible RF versions are very nice and capable lenses, whereas the majority of newer copies differ a lot. SLR versions of this lens differ the same, despite their age. However, it is still a wonderful lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
Scandal!

The 50-2 is such a wonderful little nugget of a thing. If I honestly only had to have one.. yeah ok it probably wouldn't be it, but heck... I suppose it's not difficult to clone a Tessar

On a first consideration,... Why to clone a Tessar - I mean a "real/original"Tessar design, not the google number variation of the original design.
And the second question: why not to clone a Tessar? A proven design, affordable to make, is like English as the 1st foreign language,

Best,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this lens being sold for next to nothing, while on the trip.
Since I had my Helios with me, and as a consequence, M42-to-NEX adapter, thought might as well pick it up.

Moskvitch 2137 by Curry Hexagon, on Flickr

Industar 50-2 close up bokeh by Curry Hexagon, on Flickr

The lens in question was manufactured in 1980 and can sure benefit from a little maintenance. Seems like original grease is all gunked up.

The sharpness is not outstanding, but impressive even wide open.
Bokeh is nervous, wide open it has a touch of a swirly background.
Flares easily. Aperture is declicked.

This full frame lens weights less than its Sony E adapter (yeah, I've checked), yet still is able to deliver on modern camera.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I have to take mine out for a walk some day. It's amazing how such a tiny little lens can actually produce more than decent photos.