Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best Macro lens 90-150mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Best Macro lens 90-150mm Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm doing a lot of macro/proxi shoots, like those : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156023926746328.1073741940.601471327&type=1&l=da05719da7
Using o lot the fore/background to make textures.
I'm searching for the best macro lens to do that, as i sometimes need to be very close to the subject. My prefered range is 105 to 135mm but i can handle a 90mm or more than 135mm (not 200mm, it's too much for me).
I'm using a Sony A7.

Could you recommand a lens which offer great textures and sharpness on the subject ?
thanks a lot !
Yann

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most macro lens are sharp enough for the 24MP sensor, especially stopped down.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Most macro lens are sharp enough for the 24MP sensor, especially stopped down.

Not all are good in color, bokeh and textures, and some if possible, i need a good one wide open for proxi shoots...

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for this one: https://www.flickr.com/groups/46164499@N00/pool/

according to Pentax forums all of these lenses share it's optical design:
Lester A Dine 105mm Macro f2.8 (marketed as dental lens)
Kiron 105mm Macro f2.8 (Kino Precisions own lens name)
Vivitar Series 1 105mm Macro f2.5
Vivitar 100mm Macro f2.8
Ricoh Rikenon 105mm f2.8

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar/Tokina 90/2.5 is good from wide open on my old camera but it only focus down to 1:2 without the tube.

The upcoming Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 110mm F2.5 for E-mount may be a good choice if you want best possible wide open performance. It should works well on 42MP sensor too.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A perennial favorite, and one that is not too expensive is the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 macro. Outstandingly sharp with good bokeh.

Another worth considering, if you can find one, but that is usually more expensive on places like eBay is the Vivitar 135mm Close Focus lens. Although Vivitar never referred to it as a "macro" lens, it might as well be with its close focus feature. Another outstandingly sharp lens. The only Vivitar 135mm with a 62mm filter size, by the way. The Vivitar often sells for around twice as much as the Tamron.

Pentax made a 100mm f/4 Macro in both M42 and K-mount. I have a 100mm f/4 SMC-Tak in M42. Yet another great lens in terms of sharpness.

Canon's FD 100mm f/4 Macro is another very sharp lens worth considering. It has an interesting "focus damping" feature that I'm not all sure what it's intended for. Well, focus damping, obviously, but why? It's focusing collar already has a respectable amount of drag.

I own all four of the above lenses, as well as few other macros. I can personally recommend them based on photos I've taken with all of them.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, i have models that seems to match to check...Vivitar seems perfect with its 1:1 and rendering, i'll see if it worth the price.
Thanks too for others recommandation, i'll check, i think i'll try anyway the tamron 90mm, i'll sell it back if not perfect but it seems to be very good for the price and i like that.
I have seen too the other apo-lanthar collection and it was my first choice but i really can't figure if the price is too high or if the lens totally worth it.

So thanks again guys, this is what i needed, some good recommandations to check !

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely recommend both the Kiron and the "Bokina" The Canon FD 100 is also quite good. Another to consider is the Pentax S-M-C 100mm which can be had for around a 100 USD.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I can definitely recommend both the Kiron and the "Bokina" The Canon FD 100 is also quite good. Another to consider is the Pentax S-M-C 100mm which can be had for around a 100 USD.

Krion or Lester vesrion seem to be cheaper, they are the same as Vivitar ?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The upcoming Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 110mm F2.5 for E-mount may be a good choice if you want best possible wide open performance. It should works well on 42MP sensor too.

+1 on the upcoming Apo-Lanthar.

For less money, I also recommend the Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO Lanthar. It's more a close focus lens than a real macro (50cm minimum focus, i.e. 1:3.5 magnification). It comes with an add-on close focus lens that brings the magnification to 1:1.8 and you can go to 1:1 with bellows. Image quality is superb over the whole focusing range. Contrary to many macro lenses, this one is among the sharpest lenses when used at infinity.

Unfortunately, this lens is not in production anymore so prices have gone up recently (you can still find some new samples in Canon EOS mount for $579). It's also possible to find the lens used for less money (used samples in LTM go for less than $300).

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Tamron 90mm. I've got one of the originals, the Adaptall-2 type that uses the 2x Flat-Field converter to achieve 1:1 reproduction on a full-frame camera, but of course, this doubled the focal length. With a x1.4 Flat-field converter (if you can find one) this would give you both 90mm and 135mm macro lens. The later models used an extension tube to achieve similar results, though I imagine one could use a tube on the early lens as well ... I've not tried.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashichan wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

Krion or Lester vesrion seem to be cheaper, they are the same as Vivitar ?

99% of 105 macro with 1:1 mag ratio are Kiron made (you will find it under Kiron/Soligor/Vivitar s1/Lester Dine/Rollei ... brands) ..The cheaper is the best

At 2.5 : quality is medium
At 4 : quality is very good
at 5.6 : razor sharp : please see pic from film (NO processing)

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now i have order a Lester A Dine which seems to meet my requirements, i'll see if bokeh is smooth enough for me. It's difficult to find a lens with sharpness and nice bokeh, some are too rude with textures.
Someone recommend to me the Tokina 90 AT-x, i've seen some exemple which seems to be very nice so i'll find one too...

I checked the new apo-lanthar, i had a eye on the old version but i don't really like new lenses : price is too high and everyone seems to do the same pictures with them, it's full of the same bokeh on Flikr or FB etc.
A new Laowa 100mm 2,8 2:1 is announced to, if going on a modern lens, i'll benefit of the 2:1 ratio with a lens like this one !

Thanks agin, i'll come back to review, i want to try most of the lenses you recommanded !

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus throw of the Laowa 100mm F2.8 is very short .....

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite is the Tokina 90/2.5.
One of those few lenses that always gave me spectacular results.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina/Vivitar 90/2.5 is simply an incredible lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the new CV 110mm comes, here is my ranking of 90-150mm manual focus macro/close-up lenses:

1. Voigtländer Macro APO Lanthar 125mm ƒ/2.5 SL
  2. Mamiya M645 120mm ƒ/4 A Macro M
  3. Tokina AT-X MACRO 90mm ƒ/2.5 or the Vivitar a little earlier
  4. Lester Dine/Kiron/Vivitar 105mm ƒ/2.8 MACRO
  5. Vivitar 135mm ƒ/2.8 close focusing

Last edited by eno789 on Fri May 18, 2018 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
The Tokina/Vivitar 90/2.5 is simply an incredible lens.

I'm ordering this one too...thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i received the first salve of lenses. I made the "mistake" to choose the Vivitar 90mm f/2.5, but non made by Tokina. This mistake is not a real one, this lens is cheeper, 1:1 native and really really good for me. I'll see the difference with the Bokina when i'll find a real one.
Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 Macro by Yann Dubois, sur Flickr
I also choose a Vivitar / Lester Kiron 105mm f/2.8 which is also a 1:1 native macro lens. This one meets perfectly my requirements too, very creative, perfect bokeh and nice sharpness...i like the 105 / 2,8 ratio, it's perfect to isolate a subject on FF, easier to use than 90mm even if it's pretty close.
Lester A. Dine 105mm f/2.8 Macro by Yann Dubois, sur Flickr

Both are excatly what i like to work with : nice bokeh shapers in nature when you have something to put between the subject and the lens or behind...
I'm waiting a Kiron version (excepting the same, ill see), and i'm searching now a Tokina 90mm, and maybe a Canon 135mm...i'm pretty close to my "Graal"...
Thanks again for your help ! I'll update !

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 Macro by Yann Dubois, sur Flickr