Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro lens M42? EOS mount? Recommendations please?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Macro lens M42? EOS mount? Recommendations please? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm starting to think about a macro mf lens and rather than just diving in on EBay thought I'd sound out for real world recommendations or offers of suitable lenses?

This will be occasional "hobby" use, handheld mostly, natural light mostly but with the potential for a small amount of tripod and flash activity (my default setting is hand-held).

Usual subject matter - flowers, leaves, insects, watches, "stuff" in general, the ability to take nice portraits will be a bonus.

It needs to be sharp under the above conditions and I don't have the technical knowledge to strip/clean/reassemble something fished out of the sea so it needs to be in fine working condition.

Budget? Well if I can't do something for under £100 I'd better think again. I would certainly prefer the ergonomics of a MF rather than a modern AF lens. I know I've got a set of EOS extension tubes somewhere so the backstop might well be to fit them between the body and maybe my helios?

I know nothing of cctv lenses or commercial microscope lenses so please warn me off or give me a thumbs up if they will meet my requirements.

Thanks in advance,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking into consideration your price range and the added ability to take portraits, my recommendation would be a Komine manufactured Vivitar 135mm f2.8 Close Focus.

More here:-

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-2-8-135mm-close-focus-t77204,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B135mm+%2Bf2+%2B8.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-return-of-the-vivitar-135mm-f-2-8-close-focusing-t69659,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B135mm+%2Bf2+%2B8.html

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good options actually. Pentax 100mm macro is amazingly sharp and could work well for portraits 100 pounds should get and excellent version. The Olympus 50mm f4 is quite good and can be had for half that price. If you want to go real inexpensive the Industar 61 and an m39 to m42 adapter will set you back maybe 20 pounds!.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can second the recommendation on the Pentax 100mm f/4 macro. I have a late SMC-Tak with rubberized focusing collar. Amazingly sharp lens -- but then it's a Pentax. That kinda goes without saying.