Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon Six mount: Zodiak-8 or Mir-26 or Flektogon 50mm ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Pentacon Six mount: Zodiak-8 or Mir-26 or Flektogon 50mm ? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! There is no presentation subforum it seems, and I am new here, so hello to all.
This is my first question also.

i am the recent happy owner of two Kiev-6s. The first camera came with a Vega-12 90 mm lens, and i have bought from Serbia on Ebay a Mir-3 65 mm. Very nice lens.
Yet i am thinking of some wider one. When i travel I take a lot of architecture or landscape, and often a very wide angle is the fast and easy way to capture some building or view.
in ten days I will be in Sankt-Peterburg then Moscow, and i can get a Zodiak-8 for 8000 rb, a Flektogon 50 mm for 6000 rb, a Mir-26 45 mm for 4000 rb. I'll buy one of these.
I have read a lot online about the Zodiak-8/Arsat 30 mm but this one is a fish-eye. In the digital era, software can be used to soften and rectify to some point the fish-eye distorsion but results can be more or less good depending the lines, perspectives and distances to edge of the main subjet/object in the picture.
So i wondering if, in the long run, it is wise to carry the Zodiak-8 along the 65 mm Mir-3 in a travel bag, instead of a Mir-26 or Flektogon 50mm and the Mir-3. I use to travel light and the Kiev-6s house with two lenses is the max load I am wanting to take.

so, very interested in opinions and experiences here Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I were you, I would buy the Mir-26.
Zodiak is a very good lens, fisheye is not extreme (no vigneting) but still lot of distortions. That's cool sometime, but I don't think it can replace a good wide angle in long terms range. The Mir-26 is also good (from my experience again...maybe I have good exemplar), and not too big. In opposite, I find the Mir-3 not really good, and it take a lot of place in the bag. I advice you to try its successor Mir-38 65/3.5, which is way better and more compact.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Well, if I were you, I would buy the Mir-26.
Zodiak is a very good lens, fisheye is not extreme (no vigneting) but still lot of distortions. That's cool sometime, but I don't think it can replace a good wide angle in long terms range. The Mir-26 is also good (from my experience again...maybe I have good exemplar), and not too big. In opposite, I find the Mir-3 not really good, and it take a lot of place in the bag. I advice you to try its successor Mir-38 65/3.5, which is way better and more compact.

thank you! it makes sense. By now I am indeed inclined to the Mir-26b. partially because the lack of distorsion (yet the worse that can be corrected in software) and because the Zodiak-8 weights 1 kg it seems (!). Actually I may pick a Flektogon 50mm instead of the Mir-26b, just because the places in Russia where I use to pick old lenses are by now empty for Mir-26b but have good priced Flektogon (45mm vs 50mm). (the Mir-26v has some more availability and is cheaper...) Anyway I will have the possibility to try before I buy.

Will think of a Mir-38 too. Yes the Mir-3 is big but not heavy ~500g, and I have bought for it a set of adapter ring, protective filter and rubber hood, all together same of more money than what I payed for the lens itself so I will make the most out of it before I shelve or resell it Smile