Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD S.S.C 200mm f2.8 loose aperture?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Canon FD S.S.C 200mm f2.8 loose aperture? Reply with quote

Hello!

I have recently bought this beautiful lens, the glass is in excellent shape but there is something wrong with the aperture ring and im trying to figure out how to repair it, or at least find out what is wrong with it.

The problem is that the ring used to changing the aperture of the lens is kinda loose, there is no clicking sound/feedback, that is strange. And also when I set it to open aperture (2.Cool it slowly starts to close again. Also when I open the aperture, I can see that the aperture is not open completely and cannot be forced to open more.

Please, could you folks tell me what you think might be wrong with it or whether is there any way of repairing it?

I have recorded the issue here for better illustration: https://youtu.be/0XC0_gBYF4c

If needed I can provide more info, take a picture of something etc.

Thank you very much for any kind of feedback/help!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the same problem when you remove the Fotga FD-NEX adapter?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I remove the adapter the aperture ring is still loose. I think the problem may be somewhere inside.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought, mayble it is possible that the previous owner tried to remove the ball bearings inside in order to make the aperture control smooth instead of default "clicking" and somehow screwed up putting everything back in proper order when assembling the lens?

I dont know, thats just a thought that crossed my mind.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Probably incorrect reassembly. Or may be one of the internal mount springs has snapped.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to agree with Gardener. If the aperture ring doesn't click, then the ball that sits in a small hole under the aperture ring with a spring in it to apply pressure to the ball is most likely missing. It is very easy to lose this ball. Good luck finding a replacement. Although I seem to recall there being mentioned a business that can supply these small ball bearings. Micromark maybe?

As for the looseness of the lever, yeah, I'm willing to bet that a spring has come off or has broken. Much more likely it just came off and the previous owner didn't bother trying to reconnect it.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Canon lenses use bearing rollers for detent, but one can be replaced with a ball if it has gone missing.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies and useful info! I'll probably have to go to some service cause I don't wanna go too deep into the lens on my own trying to repair it, especially the spring.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways. can you tell us what kind of IQ did you see in the images taken with that lens.

Is as good as someone says?

Good CA rendering?

Contrast?

Resolution?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Anyways. can you tell us what kind of IQ did you see in the images taken with that lens.

Is as good as someone says?

Good CA rendering?

Contrast?

Resolution?

I'll let you know as soon as I'll have the chance to test it out properly. I'll try to have it repaired somewhere in the city tomorrow. As soon as it will be done I'll let you know, I'm pretty curious about that myself!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinorsy wrote:
Thank you very much for your replies and useful info! I'll probably have to go to some service cause I don't wanna go too deep into the lens on my own trying to repair it, especially the spring.

The spring is actually the simple part - breech lock mount has two long springs that load the levers. They are right there, in the open, the attachment points are obvious, and if there is a problem it is usually easy to fix.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Martinorsy wrote:

The spring is actually the simple part - breech lock mount has two long springs that load the levers. They are right there, in the open, the attachment points are obvious, and if there is a problem it is usually easy to fix.

Thank you, I will look at this, the problem might be there.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Martinorsy wrote:

Okay so I have opened the lens, but I don't see anything wrong here, maybe I'm wrong, so I made a video here: https://youtu.be/_S0qBzujtlA

However, I looked deeper inside the lens and made another testing video here: https://youtu.be/Ou2vh8ALX-c Maybe there is something wrong there, because the left mechanism I'm trying to move with the screwdriver doesnt want to move, that seems weird to me (but im not exprert in this ofc).

Maybe I did something wrong while assembling the lens couple of times, but now I can control the aperture with the adapter Open and Lock function Rolling Eyes video here: https://youtu.be/ppGcOWTYrJQ

Maybe now you can tell better where is the actual problem, I dont know, anyway thank you for all your help guys!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not really see what's going on all that well, but on the second video - check that the silver adjustment ring that you trying to budge with a screwdriver did not slip past the cam that sets the aperture value.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
I can not really see what's going on all that well, but on the second video - check that the silver adjustment ring that you trying to budge with a screwdriver did not slip past the cam that sets the aperture value.

Yes, exactly that happened! I'm gonna try to get it somehow back now, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what most likely happened is the person who declicked it was not experienced with breech lock mount and accidentally moved the ring too far clockwise when trying to wiggle the mount into its place.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I have found out why the aperture couldn't open completely wide open! (as i have described in the post and shown in the very first video).

I will write everything here, in case somebody else will have the similar problem and will search for some solution.

This part is not original! It is different,

It should look exactly like this:

This means that the previous owner for some reason replaced this. I have even noticed that it is glued and there is only one screw holding it in place, the second screw doesnt even fit there.

So the original part is kinda longer to the left side, but the replaced one is not. So what happens is when I turn the aperture ring to open the aperture completely (in this picure)

it cannot be opened to the maximum because of the shorter unoriginal part which is responsible for moving the aperture.

I just have to get the original part somewhere or make it longer to the left on my own somehow, that's all!

The remaining problem is that when I open the aperture, it slowly starts to close on it's own (shown in the very first video).
I think that it can be fixed by inserting the missing ball bearings! I'll just have to get/buy them somewhere Very Happy

I could probably look for some old FD lenses for parts to fix these 2 problems with this lens.

I'm sorry if I described something strangely, especially in this reply, I'm not a native english speaker, I'm from Czech republic (Central Europe).

Thank you very much for helping me out with this, especially you Gardener, I wouldn't figure this out on my own. Your replies helped me alot and in addition to that I have gotten to know this lens more and how it works, it really was interesting.