Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

“Vostok” - the Soviet rail-mounted 9x12 view camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: “Vostok” - the Soviet rail-mounted 9x12 view camera Reply with quote

Week ago one my friend brought to me the camera, which one of his pals was trying to get reed off. He did ask whether I need it, and how much I would be prepared to give for it.

Not that I really needed folding for 9x12, however I decided to help him. I was tiring to be honest, so gave for it $60, which he accepted joyfully.

Of course, it was in need for the hard clinging of the dust, and some rust. However, after all treatment, performed by me it came to be quite functional. And, fortunately, the bellows survived perfectly all that “wet basement conservation”.

I had my doubts concerning the film cassettes. Because I had suspicion, that it requires something quite especial. Developed exclusively for it. However, making the investigation I discovered, that it accepts the standard 4x5 cassettes! It was a great relief for me.

Latter I discovered that the camera had been the straight copy of the US “New-Vue” camera. So, I believe the “native” cassettes were the copies of the standard, only adapted for 9x12.

I believe, it might be useful for the outdoor.

[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very interesting. Besides the New View, I guess a US equivalent might be a Century Graphic, although without a lot of the movements this one will have.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Whoo Turtle

Looks like fun!

You have way to check shutter speeds?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

You have way to check shutter speeds?

It doesn’t have the shutter. Only the lens. The Industar-51 210mm/4.5 Uncoated.

However, I discovered that it accepts the lens desks from the Horseman. It has inside the round hole, into which fits exactly, and quite firmly the round protuberance, which is upon that desks.

So, I had been able to put in the Super-Angulon 8/90mm in the standard shutter.

However, the infinity point had been reached very, very neatly. You are able to see on the photo, that at the infinity point standards are nearly jammed.

[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Besides the New View, I guess a US equivalent might be a Century Graphic, although without a lot of the movements this one will have.

Well, Newton New-Vue 4x5 looks nearly exactly like that "Vostok"

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/New_Vue_4x5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Wow, very interesting. Besides the New View, I guess a US equivalent might be a Century Graphic, although without a lot of the movements this one will have.

Apologies for the late reply.

The Vostok indeed looks like a NuView. It isn't remotely like the Century Graphic, a folding 2x3 press camera.