Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux 35MM F2.5 Retrofocus Type R1 dusk to nite on A7RII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Angenieux 35MM F2.5 Retrofocus Type R1 dusk to nite on A7RII Reply with quote

The first wide angle retrofocus lens for 35mm SLR. While the field curvature is strong and the corners are not good on A7RII, the resolution on the center is pretty decent once stopped down. This is a lens that needs time to adapt and I hope I can deliver better photos when I am able to find a better scene for it.

Click to see larger size:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed.

It`s good to see one. I`ve been tempted by Angenieux on so many occasions, the cinematic look/colours are very appealing but most reviews speak of flare and proper usage to get the best from them. I actually "bought" the 35-70mm 2.5 zoom just before Christmas but it was from MW classic who are becoming fairly notorious for "not in stock" sales and took a few weeks to let me know it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done.

Congrats!!!

And what about the R11 (28/3,5)?

Is it as good as yours?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Thank you! Whoo Turtle Friends

@Macca
I have own the 35-70mm once. The result is different from these old primes. It will not be a replacement to this lens imho.

The flare is not a big problem on my 35(you can see from the last photo) as my copy is pretty clean and I use a hood. However, old Angenieux lenses are prone to scratch: my other two Angenieux lenses do have numeric scratches on the front element. There will be a big different if you get one in no-so-good condition.

@papasito
The R11 sharing similar design of the R1. I don't have the R11 myself. From the comment of my friend and others, they feel of both lens are similar.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a close-up photo taking with Angenieux 35-70mm@NEX-5N, click to enlarge.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#6 is especially attractive for the eye. A well captured "meeting" of the joggers, and highly resolved windows of the background buildings. It gives a good idea of how the lens could be used. It seems to be sharp and a bit dreamy in the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
#6 is especially attractive for the eye. A well captured "meeting" of the joggers, and highly resolved windows of the background buildings. It gives a good idea of how the lens could be used. It seems to be sharp and a bit dreamy in the same time.

Thank you!

The buildings on the background shown on the photo is much brighter than what I see with my bare eyes. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done Calvin.
Angenieux certainly produced some outstanding lenses and you have one.
I would simply love to have a 50mm f1.8 Type S1, but it will never happen Smile
Thanks for sharing these
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 very nice results Calvin! Still a very well functioning lens, despite its age!
I have that one, too, but sits around unused, need to dig it out sometime!!

Pierre Angenieux designed and made some very desirable lenses, especially for cine use.
Also his zoom lenses (I have two for Nikon once) are very well made and deliver well!
Quite some nice APO lenses he also designed, but that did not stay unnoticed, so prices
today went through the roof, as Tom just mentioned before - oh well!!

Btw here is a nice pdf on the history of Angenieux lenses (mostly cine):
www.fdtimes.com/pdfs/articles/angenieux/FDTimes-Angenieux-History-A4.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre a perfect example where all these vintage collectibles sonner or later end up: Tokyo, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Singapore, Taipei or, in your case, Hongkong Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, thanks for the link to the Angenieux history!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thinks! I am happy you guys like the photos.

@Tom
I would love to have a copy of 50mm f1.8 Type S1 too but I can't find one fits my budget.

@Marek
There are many members here from EU/US or other countries who collects these lenses too.

@Klaus
This lens is pretty good for close subjects too. I am sure you can do better than me. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an Exakta lens ? This is great, pretty much the same result of a Jupiter-12 ? This is the same design ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashichan wrote:
This is an Exakta lens ? This is great, pretty much the same result of a Jupiter-12 ? This is the same design ?

This is the first retrofocus 35mm made for Exakta. The Jupiter-12, a copy of Zeiss biogon, is a non-retrofocus lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

This appears to be a remarkable lens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Friends Thank you!