Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

lens design of Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50mm 1.5 (Opton and C)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: lens design of Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50mm 1.5 (Opton and C) Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about the history of lenses but I give it a try.

Information about the (West German) Carl Zeiss Opton Sonnar 50mm F1.5 and the later 2004 Carl Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm F1.5 ZM are rare. I tried to figure out reliable information about those lenses but moving in circles now.

1.) Who calculated / created the lens design of this Sonnar lens?
2.) When was the lens calculated?
3.) When was the lens released?

I read that the Opton had a different calculation than the pre-war Sonnar. You can see it at the max aperture. The pre-war Sonnar 5cm 1.5 (v4) has a F22. The Opton Sonnar 50mm 1.5 (v5) has a F16. I was not able to find out who was the creator of the Opton Sonnar. Was it Bertele or some new designer in Oberkochen? I could not find any date to this version. No calculation date or when the first batch was produced. Maybe the answer is in the Fabrikationsbuch III of Hartmut Thiele but it is sold out and not one available here.

The same goes for the C Sonnar. You can find the technical specification of the new lens online but no insight about its creation. No calculation date nor who created it.

Can someone help?[/list]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since these lenses are all produced by Cosina nowadays it may well be that it is a similar story likewise to the Cosina made Voigtländer lenses; i.e. the naming convention has nothing to do with the original construction any longer.

Zeiss is nowadays mainly a marketing and consultig company, at least for camera lenses. For example the Sony lenses with Zeiss badges are constructed and built by the former Minolta lens plant, even some Logitech Web cameras and smartphone wear Zeiss badges. Nobody knows what a lens qualifies to wear a Zeiss badge nowadays. I assume that it is mainly a costly marketing gag as the Zeiss branding is still a selling argument....

Just a possibility. I don't really know....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Cavina assumes that the Opton 1.5/50mm is based on a patent by Bertele (5/1949), using for the first time high refractive / low dispersive glass for a 1.5/50mm Sonnar:

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Sonnar_heritage/00_pag.htm

S

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Zeiss is nowadays mainly a marketing and consultig company, at least for camera lenses. For example the Sony lenses with Zeiss badges are constructed and built by the former Minolta lens plant ...

Are you sure about that?

Back in 2011, when I had direct contact with the responsible Sony engineers, the "Zeiss" badged lenses in the Sony lineup came from a direct cooperation with Zeiss, and NOT with Minolta. Back then, these "Sony Zeiss" lenses were produced partly at Sony factories, partly at Cosina workshops (e. g. the ZA 1.4/85and the ZA 1.8/135).

Minolta however was developing/producing the "Sony G" lenses. And I was told later - albeit not directly by Sony engineers - that the Sony GM lenses were "Minolta-made" as well.

S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF is with the 2 different messages with weird spam in them by this poster in this thread 2 years apart?

RParsons00 wrote:
The lens design of the Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50mm 1.5 is a testament to precision engineering and optical excellence. Renowned for its impeccable image quality and distinctive bokeh, this lens showcases Carl Zeiss's commitment to innovation. Its carefully crafted elements deliver sharpness and clarity, making it a favorite among photographers and cinematographers alike. From capturing intimate portraits to breathtaking landscapes, the Sonnar 50mm 1.5 excels in every scenario, ensuring remarkable results. Medical Wholesale Supplies also recognize its unrivaled performance for documenting medical procedures with unparalleled clarity and detail.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are better AI bots now. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spam is gone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Spam is gone

Like 1