Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Different faces of ISCO Göttingen Westanar 3.5/135mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Different faces of ISCO Göttingen Westanar 3.5/135mm Reply with quote

I like this lens a lot. I comes in different shapes:
Model I. Photo by Rick Drawbridge http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00b87u

or splendid presentation here by Nikonguy: http://www.photosharp.com.tw/Forum20/ArticleList.aspx?ForumId=19&TopicId=140798&Page=3
or http://pinboke2.blogspot.com/2013/12/tele-westanar-135135-isco-gottingen.html

Model II. Presentation by our member SXR_Mark http://forum.mflenses.com/isco-goettingen-tele-westanar-135mm-f3-5-t59222.html
Alf Sigaro with optic scheme: https://www.flickr.com/photos/alf_sigaro/1731960336/
photo by rokas_photo_video Click here to see on Ebay


Model III. Presentation by Arjay Bee http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2061054

photo by lijkryuis Click here to see on Ebay.de

Model IV. Does it really exists or photo shows 150mm (85mm)?


Model V. Kind of plastic body:

Photo by Cityphoto-leipzig Click here to see on Ebay


PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely lens porn, number 1 is super sexy. Cool

Are they good lenses and worth seeking out?


PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have what you call Model V. Yes, very plastic. I think I'd rather have the first one as I always prefer older metal lenses. However, I wonder if the optics stayed the same throughout. At f/3.5 it isn't particularly fast and it isn't razor sharp (but sharp enough), but does have a wonderful bokeh - perhaps the only lens I have better than my Tair in that regard. Of course this is also subjective to my taste in bokeh.
















PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 1 to me also, beautiful lens. I have last plastic finish in several focal lengths, I am not impressed by them, light , subject your knowledge makes even plastic lens to sought after Smile


PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This man Christian Barbier tested 3 versions here http://www.l-image-avec-les-m42.fr/

He's in part responsable for my "addiction" to MFlenses...


PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is perhaps another variation of this lens.
Not mine - just sharing.
OH




PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for another model contribution Oldhand. It seems a variant of Model I. I think made for Braun Paxette Super III Automatic or King Regula IIId,
shorter for aperture ring since camera body controls aperture: http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00M4am

Superb photos Woodrim, colors and bokeh really are great.

I think optical design is the same in all models (perhaps the coating changes) but due age different factors can influence final outcome.

If you look at Alf Sigaro's optical scheme you can notice glued second and third element. Besides third element is also a combination of
two elements. So in fact you have 6 elements and double glue layer. Giving quite distinctive features. See the red line:


PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the first face.


PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have #3 but haven't used it much. So many lenses....

Pretty sure this was wide open or nearly so.



PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few first images from the first version in the thread. It is a little funky how the aperture stop down works, but also pretty cool. I took all at f/3.5 for testing. I will need to give the lens a go with the same setting I used for my other one (plastic face 5) to see how it compares with sharpnes and more importantly, bokeh.









PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks softer and with much more bokeh CA than the equivalent Sonnar 3.5/135 or Tele-Xenar 3.5/135.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, I think we should start calling you the bokeh master! I especially like the painterly quality of the background of #2.


PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Silver Westanar m42 Reply with quote

Regarding the question form the model IV " does it really exist " i can confirm i have it. Is 135mm 3.5 M42 silver Westanar. I can post some photos if anyone needs confirmation


PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Silver Westanar m42 Reply with quote

silion19 wrote:
Regarding the question form the model IV " does it really exist " i can confirm i have it. Is 135mm 3.5 M42 silver Westanar. I can post some photos if anyone needs confirmation


Welcome to the forum silion19, I am sure everyone would like to see some photos of that lens.


PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Silver Westanar m42 Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
silion19 wrote:
Regarding the question form the model IV " does it really exist " i can confirm i have it. Is 135mm 3.5 M42 silver Westanar. I can post some photos if anyone needs confirmation


Welcome to the forum silion19, I am sure everyone would like to see some photos of that lens.


+1 one, the silver looks realy nice and is probably the oldest of them all? Surprised
Is it Alu or Brass made?


PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 1. that lens could correct erectile dysfunction Shocked best looking lens i've seen Cool


PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my two models:

First one is much smaller, lovly lens...


This is sexy too and there is also a 35mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.9 in the same visual design which I also have


PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

This is sexy too and there is also a 35mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.9 in the same visual design which I also have..


I have the 3.5/135mm Tele Westanar and 1.9/50 Westrocolor in this version... unfortunatly they aren't this sexy like your copy which looks like new.



PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Silver Westanar m42 Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
uddhava wrote:
silion19 wrote:
Regarding the question form the model IV " does it really exist " i can confirm i have it. Is 135mm 3.5 M42 silver Westanar. I can post some photos if anyone needs confirmation


Welcome to the forum silion19, I am sure everyone would like to see some photos of that lens.


+1 one, the silver looks realy nice and is probably the oldest of them all? Surprised
Is it Alu or Brass made?


Sorry for delay. Here are some photos of the silver version 135mm 3.5 Westanar





PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
No 1. that lens could correct erectile dysfunction Shocked best looking lens i've seen Cool


I would need at least an f/1.4 for that. Embarassed


PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful looking lens!


PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Here is my two models:

First one is much smaller, lovly lens...


This is sexy too and there is also a 35mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.9 in the same visual design which I also have


Do you see any difference in image quality between those two?


PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have similar IQ Like 1 small


PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently aquired v5 of this lens at an auction as part of a job lot. I've just received the Exakta adapter from China so I can use it on my Fuji XE2. Its a very loose fit with quite a bit of play when focusing and the knurled ring at the base of the lens keeps coming lose but having said that I was pleasantly surprised with the first few shots. It was quick to focus using the peak display (something I struggle with) so I'm going to enjoy using this quirky lens but probably won't take it too far it case it falls apart!
Does anyone know if these are servicable in any way?
#1


#2


#3


PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bminney wrote:
I recently aquired v5 of this lens at an auction as part of a job lot. I've just received the Exakta adapter from China so I can use it on my Fuji XE2. Its a very loose fit with quite a bit of play when focusing and the knurled ring at the base of the lens keeps coming lose but having said that I was pleasantly surprised with the first few shots. It was quick to focus using the peak display (something I struggle with) so I'm going to enjoy using this quirky lens but probably won't take it too far it case it falls apart!
Does anyone know if these are servicable in any way?
#1


#2


#3