Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Competition for GoKevin?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Competition for GoKevin? Reply with quote

I've been scanning for a good price on a Minolta 58mm 1.2. When I came across this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINOLTA-MC-ROKKOR-58mm-F1-2-MF-Lens-for-SR-Mount-Exc-from-japan-F-S/323201936204?hash=item4b40562b4c:g:UJMAAOSwBv9Z4YcH

I like to look at oddities like this to see if its an aberration or what. This has to be the all time worst pricing I have ever seen for camera gear.

"Special deal I got for you on used Canon 24-105L" Only three times price of brand new one from reputable seller.
Olympus OM 4 at only 10 times the going price. Of course it would only take one or two sales a year to meet operating costs but are there that many people that are that inattentive?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£300 to £400 UKP on UK Ebay for nice ones.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"or make offer"

I'm almost tempted to offer 188 Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of fools out there placing outrageous prices on such items.

Personally, I suspect it's a way of laundering money or some sort of scheme
which is not apparent to those of us who are not criminals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Kevin has been around on eBay for many years and his prices are always stratospheric. However, sometimes that guy seems to have the market locked up on some items. I dimly recall a while back being stunned at the selection he had on focusing screens for the Canon F-1. Of course, his asking prices for the screens was only about 10 x what everyone else was asking. I think he also has a store in Japan? I wonder if he's able to get his prices over there easier than the US?

Anyway, I've never understood how he's stayed in business, but there he remains. Go figure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
Plenty of fools out there placing outrageous prices on such items.

Personally, I suspect it's a way of laundering money or some sort of scheme
which is not apparent to those of us who are not criminals.

Hmmm . . . .

I thought that, when laundering money, you are, out of necessity, moving cash around to "wash" it so to speak. Dunno how one would launder it electronically. But then, I'm no criminal mastermind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Go Kevin has been around on eBay for many years and his prices are always stratospheric. However, sometimes that guy seems to have the market locked up on some items. I dimly recall a while back being stunned at the selection he had on focusing screens for the Canon F-1. Of course, his asking prices for the screens was only about 10 x what everyone else was asking. I think he also has a store in Japan? I wonder if he's able to get his prices over there easier than the US?

Anyway, I've never understood how he's stayed in business, but there he remains. Go figure.

He does get rare equipment, He lists as takes offers, but won't take off more than 5% for an item that's 15% overpriced, an item I bought was listed as being located in the states, it was actually in Hong Kong or Japan, I don't remember which. I needed to shower after dealing with him.

This guy just seems to be fishing, this Rokkor is at best a user grade lens. @ $1880

vs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-MC-ROKKOR-58mm-f-1-2-Excellent-condition-MF-Lens-from-Japan-270576/253550703951 @ $388

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this comparison SMC A* 85/1.4
New guy @ $3,390
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-SMC-PENTAX-A-85mm-f-1-4-Manual-Focus-Lens-Exc-from-japan-F-S/323201933143

Kevin @ $2,200
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-A-SMC-85mm-f1-4-5705504/282214374181

Other @ $1,250
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-SMC-PENTAX-A-85mm-f-1-4-Manual-Focus-Lens-Exc-from-japan-F-S/323201933143

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than 1200$ for a Canonet ql17 g3 😁😆😆.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new outlandishly priced listing appears on ebay every 5 minutes or so.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
A new outlandishly priced listing appears on ebay every 5 minutes or so.

My goodness that is certainly true!

It has always been the case. But today more than ever before you must check the completed auctions and sales to have any idea whatsoever of the value of a lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why eBay doesn't keep history much longer than a year or two, I wish they kept that data, just so you can see the long term trend.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this one and there was another one with stratospheric prices that went by the name arsenal or something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
This is why eBay doesn't keep history much longer than a year or two, I wish they kept that data, just so you can see the long term trend.

You need to paid for that. / Wink
https://www.worthpoint.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When something makes no sense, there's usually some other reason you're unaware of.
Brings to mind a slew of rare Leica listings out of Barcelona last year, using the same photos over and over again. The history on transactions showed them almost evenly spaced in time over a two month period and between $10k-$30k each. Someone is moving money somewhere and there's a finite number of nefarious characters that authorities can track at one time.

As far as Kevin Camera, I haven't a clue. Contacted him once about an item several years ago. His English grammar was curious and response to an offer, curt and inflexible.

Himself wrote:
Yeah, this one and there was another one with stratospheric prices that went by the name arsenal or something.

Photo Alps, also sells under "Photo Arsenal" and "Leica by Boris". He's out of Austria and Hong Kong. This fellow does on occasion have some insider deals. He was clearing out Leica's new-old stock of R lenses back in 2009 and most recently, Leica M 75/2.5 Summarits. At one point he was selling them for US$750 each.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, guys. Back when I was selling lenses Kevin and Boris bought from me. The payments cleared.

At the time Kevin was selling fast cine lenses remounted for who knows what? We discussed what he was doing and he took all of mine that covered who knows what. Paid my prices, didn't haggle.

Boris took one of my 38/4.5 Biogons, the worst of the lot sold "as is no return," and didn't complain. I could be mistaken, think he never resold it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never said he was dishonest.
I've bought 100's of lenses from all over the world, the transaction with Kevin was the least enjoyable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin used to buy as "kinche-l" on eBay, back when you could see who the bidders were. Matched serial numbers of lenses he bought against ones for sale on his store.