Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Benoist Berthiot F=90 projection lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Benoist Berthiot F=90 projection lens Reply with quote

Here are some samples taken with a French projection lens from the 1960s. Its focal lenght is 90mm. No indication of the aperture value is given. I guess, it is one of the standard f2.8 or f3.5.

I'd say the lens has its character. I presume the sharpness could be improved with a regulation of the unprecise plastic spacers within the lens tube. But the way it is the lens gives quite a 1960s film mood, in a perfect correspondence with its age.

All shots benefit from auto-contrast or a boost of contrast and saturaton.

The body is a simple plastic one, easily detachable. This way I quickly saw it's a classic projection triplet, with internal plastic spacers which are not fixed inside.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add a couple of close-ups. I like the gentle rendering of the both in-focus and OOF areas.

I've had a second copy of this lens. The first has some free place between spacers. The glass slightly shifts and clatters inside when I shake the lens. The second copy is tighter, though the image remains the same good. Hm, is adjustemnt tolerance for triplets is that large?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is not really sharp but neither unsharp, there is some glow on the contrasted edges but a gentle one. Front and rear OOF seems very similar.

#2 The original colours, especially in difficult light are "switched off": this is the previous shot without any processing

#3 But the captured image keeps plenty of information and when you tweak it, the colour plasticity is quite large and permits you to reach a vibrant and still rather naturally looking palette

#4 Here is a mid-distance shot which looks quite good

#5 In spite of the fact that if you pixel peep the unprocessed 100% crop it does not seem that convincing

This lens reveals vividly that sharpness is not the ultimate response to every photographer's search of the image mood.