Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Tevidon 100/2.8 versions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Tevidon 100/2.8 versions Reply with quote

The Carl Zeiss Tevidon series of lenses have been produced in at least 4 major variations that I know of. I am wondering if there are any other variants. The 4 versions I know are:

I - Zebra
II - Heavy brass, old version 545 g
III - Heavy brass new version 475 g
IV - Lightweight new version 205 g

AFAIK all versions were produced with either a C mount or the Zeiss Video mount, aka Tevidon bayonet. These mounts are connected with three screws and can be easily replaced. The weights I listed here are my 100mm f/2.8 Tevidons. They have different mounts on them at the moment, so the weight may be off by a few grams. I don't have any zebra Tevidons, so I can't say anything specific about those.

Does anyone know the weight of the zebra version 100/2.8?

The difference between version II and III appears to be only a redesigned focus ring, the newer one has a wide, shallow, groove in the middle and wider toothed rings on it for connecting a focus motor to. The diameter of the focus gear ring is larger as well (50mm on version III, 45mm on version II and IV). The lettering on the focus ring and aperture ring is slightly larger on III.

The text on the front ring is the same, apart from a 4 digit code on versions III and IV and a 7 digit code on II. All my version III and IV Tevidons say Carl Zeiss Jena DDR, some version II don't say DDR.

Apart from these normal series I have got an 10mm f/2 version II in export variant, "Aus Jena" - due to a trademark conflict with Carl Zeiss Oberkochen (or West). Also a few rebadged ones from after 1989, a bizarly labelled Docter-Wetzlar-Jena-Germany and a RJM Rheinmetall Jenoptik.

So does anyone know of any other versions?

100mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena Tevidon versions II, III and IV:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your versions II and III coexisted, so are the same type in my opinion, just different uses:
one for the STASI Videocamera system, one for c-mount cameras (assuming export versions).

Your version IV, the new, leightweight one, I have not seen in that STASI camera version with
bayonet mount, only c-mount.

I do have quite of few of them, but no zebra version. Attila sold one quite a while ago if I'm not mistaken.
Here is one for sale Click here to see on Ebay made 1974 as per its serial number, so actually not old.

The first known Tevidons were made (as per Zeiss Jena docs):

10mm: 1968 calc. 1964 made up to 1980
16mm: 1968 calc. 1965 made up to 1979
25mm: 1968 calc. 1955 made up to 1981
35mm: 1968 calc. 1965 made up to 1979
50mm: 1968 calc. 1966 made up to 1982
70mm: 1968 calc. 1966 made up to 1981
100mm: 1968 calc. 1966 made up to 1981

(there were also two Zoom-Tevidons btw.)

But the Tevidon lenses rights were later (at least partially) bought or licenced to DOCTER OPTICS, Saalfeld
founded 1984, who took over the Zeiss Jena plant in Saalfeld and Schleiz and they still produce some of them,
even after the sudden unexpected passing of its founder:
http://www.docteroptics.com/media/1/1/224/tevidon_folder_en.pdf

I have a few of those later Docter types, very similar to your type IV, but with different lable and better finish.
Docter also developed some newer types, with even shorter focal length and a macro lens type (see pdf),
mostly for machine vision.

(c) svtechparts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Your versions II and III coexisted, so are the same type in my opinion, just different uses:
one for the STASI Videocamera system, one for c-mount cameras (assuming export versions).

For the purposes of identification, dividing the lenses into groups you can tell apart seems useful to me. I know of no difference in optics between my versions I, II, III and IV so all Tevidons may be the same type in your opinion.

kds315* wrote:
Your version IV, the new, leightweight one, I have not seen in that STASI camera version with
bayonet mount, only c-mount.

I have a few version IV lenses with bayonet mount. The 100mm shown in the photos above for instance. I have changed some mounts on several of my lenses, but I'm sure that one I bought with the bayonet mount. I also have a few bits and pieces supposedly directly from Saalfeld including version IV focus mounts for 50/1.8 Tevidons with bayonet mounts.

BTW, I have handled a Schneider Xenon 50/0.95 once with what looked to be the same bayonet mount. My guess is the MfS / Stasi wasn't the only one using this mount.

kds315* wrote:

I do have quite of few of them, but no zebra version. Attila sold one quite a while ago if I'm not mistaken.
Here is one for sale Click here to see on Ebay made 1974 as per its serial number, so actually not old.

Very interesting. I have my version II lenses with serial numbers lower and higher than that, so Zebra and version II must have been coexisting.

I just found the old posts about Zeiss Jena numbers, now it makes more sense. My oldest II lens is 857xxxx, my newest 67xx. My oldest III 30xx, the newest 62xx. My oldest IV 38xx, the newest 132xx.

So what makes most sense to me is that version I and III were intended for manual operation and version II and IV were intended for motorised focus and aperture control. Versions I and II seem to be the oldest, versions III and IV are newer, but there is considerable overlap.

kds315* wrote:

The first known Tevidons were made (as per Zeiss Jena docs):

10mm: 1968 calc. 1964 made up to 1980
16mm: 1968 calc. 1965 made up to 1979
25mm: 1968 calc. 1955 made up to 1981
35mm: 1968 calc. 1965 made up to 1979
50mm: 1968 calc. 1966 made up to 1982
70mm: 1968 calc. 1966 made up to 1981
100mm: 1968 calc. 1966 made up to 1981

(there were also two Zoom-Tevidons btw.)

Indeed, I have got both.

kds315* wrote:
But the Tevidon lenses rights were later (at least partially) bought or licenced to DOCTER OPTICS, Saalfeld
founded 1984, who took over the Zeiss Jena plant in Saalfeld and Schleiz and they still produce some of them,
even after the sudden unexpected passing of its founder:
http://www.docteroptics.com/media/1/1/224/tevidon_folder_en.pdf

I have a few of those later Docter types, very similar to your type IV, but with different lable and better finish.
Docter also developed some newer types, with even shorter focal length and a macro lens type (see pdf),
mostly for machine vision.

Yes, I was aware of that. I haven't tried any of the Docter lenses listed here myself, have you?