Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

fungus Planar 50 1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: fungus Planar 50 1.4 Reply with quote

Hello All,

Took delivery of C/Y mount planar 50/1.4. Seller described lint inside the lens, but what appears like fungus to me. Please me help ID. I have included ebay-scope pictures.

Also fund a spot inside that appears like damaged coating and appears like residue of some sorts around the area.

I don't have the adapter yet to check the images.

Is cleaning a planar easy? I assume the damaged area cannot be repaired, but the fungus can be cleaned. Any advice, thoughts?

Thanks,
-Michael.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an expensive lens, I would return it - especially with the coating damage. There are others...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely fungus. This kind is very removable. Damage look weird - there's some 3D feel to it and coatings are too thin for that, and they typically don't flake off like that. To me it looks almost as if some glass is missing there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both, I am trying to get partial refund, if not, will return it. I assume the 3D feel may be due to poor capture (or capture lens CA).
Both defects are inside the lens block. I am more worried about the scratch/chip thing, as it cannot be repaired. It is closer to rear element and toward the center, I am hoping it falls outside the image circle.

Any specific tools recommended for this job? kit perhaps?

Thanks,
-Michael.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just return - Planars are not exactly a rarity. I mean unless you can really knock down the price. Can't help you with opening - I have a few that need to be serviced and I can't get around to deal with it.