Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony FE 28mm F2.0 on A7R II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Sony FE 28mm F2.0 on A7R II Reply with quote

28mm to 30mm is my most used focal length. I have tried some manual 28mm but I can't find one that suits my need. Luckily, Sony makes relatively inexpsive 28/2. At F2, the center part of the photo is sharp enough, even on my A7RII. At F2.8, most part of the frame is sharp enough and the edges become good to very good at F4. The back bokeh is pretty nice. Distortion/vignetting/CA are the weak points of this lens, which needs correction in-camera or post. The MFD is 0.3m and can be further reduced to 0.25m with manual focus. The AF speed is pretty fast too.

I highly recommend this lens to anyone who need good sharpness from wide open on their Sony FF MILC with nice bokeh.

Go to Flickr for 42mp full-rez photo with EXIF.

DSC03590 by Calvin Lee, 於 Flickr

DSC03593 by Calvin Lee, 於 Flickr

DSC03610 by Calvin Lee, 於 Flickr

DSC03637 by Calvin Lee, 於 Flickr

Last edited by calvin83 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, nice samples.

I agree that it is a nice lens. Strengths I see are as you mention bokeh, at mfd it is rather mellow compared to the MC 28/2 which has "interesting" bokeh.

Not very expensive either and not really "plasticky". MFing it is doable but it isn't as nice a feeling as manually focussing the MC 28/2 for instance, for those times when you want focus to be precisely on some small detail among other details.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. This is a choice of the photographer which one will work better.

For close up photos, a Vivitar 28/1.9 or 28/2.0 CF may work better with its long focus throw.

Here are two samples taken with Vivitar 28/2.0 CF on NEX 5N

Vivitar 28mm F2.0 MC Close Focus DSC05547 by Calvin Lee, 於 Flickr

Vivitar 28mm F2.0 MC Close Focus DSC05592 by Calvin Lee, 於 Flickr