Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stain on shutter curtain, Will it affect picture quality?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Stain on shutter curtain, Will it affect picture quality? Reply with quote

Hi

As you can see in the picture, there is some kind of stain on the shutter curtain, at the bottom, it's not oil or anything greasy. Shutter speeds are accurate, I also used a flashlight in a dark place to check if light passes the curtain, and it seemed ok.

So, will this still affect picture quality? I think it doesn't but I just wanna make sure. There might be something that I don't know!

Camera: Fujica st801

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem unless it's acid eating its way through HuH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shutter curtain's job is to stop light. So as long as this stain doesn't cause it to become translucent at the stain area, which is what Excalibur was alluding to, you're fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to revive this old thread, because I also happen to have a Fujica ST801 with suspicious stains on the shutter curtain. Please see the images below. Could someone please offer some insight as to what they are and how I should clean them? I bought this Fujica on the internet. The shutter works fine. All the shutter speeds are accurate. Part of the shutter curtain is clean - the part that faces the film when the film advance lever is not cranked. However, once you crank the film advance lever to the next frame, this dirty messy part of the curtain emerges.

There is considerable rust on the camera's interior, so it probably has been stored in a humid environment in the past. Yet I don't smell any musty smell. Could it be mold? It almost looks like some kind of water damage. What would you suggest as a way to clean it?

I am inclined to clean it with q-tips saturated with 91% alcohol. Is that advisable? Would you rather suggest vinegar? I just want to make sure I don't mess up the speeds of the shutter, which is still accurate now. Any experiences you have had with such mechanical shutters would be much appreciated! Thank you guys! - Han

(I think I've uploaded the images correctly. Please let me know if you cannot see them)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay!

You can't post photos or links in your first post, an anti-spam measure. You'll be ok from now on.

hanhasgotqi wrote:
I would like to revive this old thread, because I also happen to have a Fujica ST801 with suspicious stains on the shutter curtain. Please see the images below. Could someone please offer some insight as to what they are and how I should clean them? I bought this Fujica on the internet. The shutter works fine. All the shutter speeds are accurate. Part of the shutter curtain is clean - the part that faces the film when the film advance lever is not cranked. However, once you crank the film advance lever to the next frame, this dirty messy part of the curtain emerges.

There is considerable rust on the camera's interior, so it probably has been stored in a humid environment in the past. Yet I don't smell any musty smell. Could it be mold? It almost looks like some kind of water damage. What would you suggest as a way to clean it?

I am inclined to clean it with q-tips saturated with 91% alcohol. Is that advisable? Would you rather suggest vinegar? I just want to make sure I don't mess up the speeds of the shutter, which is still accurate now. Any experiences you have had with such mechanical shutters would be much appreciated! Thank you guys! - Han

(I think I've uploaded the images correctly. Please let me know if you cannot see them)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is mold but I doubt it will affect the performance of the shutter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflective stain could affect exposure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would first try to wipe the cloth very gently with a toothbrush, and blow on it with an airblower.
Then, maybe white vinegar ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions. I used 95% rubbing alcohol, and it cleaned up most of the stains shown above. Exposure was fine but occassionally I seem to have what’s called shutter capping. Or Maybe shutter tapering. Not sure which one. I’ve found a trustworthy repairman and will send it in for CLA.