Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help, I need a good Konica AR adapter for Sony E Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Help, I need a good Konica AR adapter for Sony E Mount Reply with quote

Hello, everybody. I just got a Konica 40mm F1.8 lens as part of my quest to adapt small, compact, decent-quality SLR optics on my Sony cameras. The lens came with a K&F adapter that allows it to focus way past infinity. I was astonished to find that it is 1.32mm short, a gap that looks like Death Valley to me. So.....forget about their quality control, or about my shimming this thing; I don't even know where I would find screws long enough to hold the shims down. Yet my other K&F ring, a Leica M to Sony, is about the perfect height. Anyway, I'm looking to hear from people who have had good experiences adapting Konica lenses to Sony mirrorless. Which adapters did you use? Any of them made of brass? Links (to e-bay sellers, etc.) would be appreciated. Thank you in advance, and good shooting!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the K&F adapter with the Konica Hexanon 28mm & 50 mm on a Sony A6000 without any problems at all ... ??? Question

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Help, I need a good Konica AR adapter for Sony E Mount Reply with quote

mysticeyes wrote:
Hello, everybody. I just got a Konica 40mm F1.8 lens as part of my quest to adapt small, compact, decent-quality SLR optics on my Sony cameras. The lens came with a K&F adapter that allows it to focus way past infinity. I was astonished to find that it is 1.32mm short, a gap that looks like Death Valley to me. So.....forget about their quality control, or about my shimming this thing; I don't even know where I would find screws long enough to hold the shims down. Yet my other K&F ring, a Leica M to Sony, is about the perfect height. Anyway, I'm looking to hear from people who have had good experiences adapting Konica lenses to Sony mirrorless. Which adapters did you use? Any of them made of brass? Links (to e-bay sellers, etc.) would be appreciated. Thank you in advance, and good shooting!

I am unable to make sense of the problem you are having other than by assuming the adapter you are talking about is not really for the K/AR (Konica) mount. You say it is 1.32mm short. How did you measure this? If one were to subtract this figure from the 40.5mm K/AR film to flange distance, that would give you 39.18mm. The closest F2F to this that I know is that if the Olympus 4/3 mount (actually 38.58mm, about a 0.6mm wider than the gap you have, but perhaps close considering error margins), onto which Konica lenses do mount (but they to not index at 12 o'clock and they don't lock in place). In pre-mirrorless days, the original Oly 4/3 mount was the only one that could take Hexanon lenses after some slight modifications, on the whole reversible. And I suspect this is why your lenses mount onto the adapter (incidentally, aren't they a little loose? The original trick with K/AR lenses on the Oly 4/3 mount called for shims/spacers to take up the slack). That's my suspicion, although I may be wrong.
I've used several different types of K/AR to Sony E-mount adapters (Fotga, Fotasy, Selens and, yes, K&F), and while some are better, some worse (and while I don't really like any of them), I've yet to encounter F2F issues.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a KF concept adapter for my konicas and it worked flawlessly, so it might be some sample variation.

Kipon adapters always worked well for me too but they are more expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the cheapest one - a FOTGA Konica AR adapter. The infinity is not exactly spot on using Konica fifties but it can be seen only when comparing wide-open shots.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
I got the cheapest one - a FOTGA Konica AR adapter. The infinity is not exactly spot on using Konica fifties but it can be seen only when comparing wide-open shots.

The cheapest is the best Wink. Infinity on 1.8/40 is quite easily adjusted, by removing label ring (it is inserted not screwed i think) and applying usual screws release at infinity, putting ring on lower distance, then tightening screws again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have a dozen AR adapters, to both M4/3 and E mount and never had a problem. I have loads of K&F adapters of different types and never had a problem with those either.

1.32mm is way too big a gap to be down to manufacturing QC issues, something is wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help, I need a good Konica AR adapter for Sony E Mount Reply with quote

konicamera, are you kidding me Smile? This is an adapter made by K&F to mount Konica AR lenses to Sony E mount; it even says "Konica-NEX" on its side. How would it be possible to mount a bayonet lens on an adapter made for another mount? The physical reality is that I bought a Konica lens that came with an adapter, and that when I measure the adapter - with calipers - it is 1.32mm short of what it should be. That's why the lens reaches infinity at less than 20 feet distance and goes way beyond that. And I know what the register distances should be; that's how I came up with that number.

konicamera wrote:
mysticeyes wrote:

I am unable to make sense of the problem you are having other than by assuming the adapter you are talking about is not really for the K/AR (Konica) mount. You say it is 1.32mm short. How did you measure this? If one were to subtract this figure from the 40.5mm K/AR film to flange distance, that would give you 39.18mm. The closest F2F to this that I know is that if the Olympus 4/3 mount (actually 38.58mm, about a 0.6mm wider than the gap you have, but perhaps close considering error margins), onto which Konica lenses do mount (but they to not index at 12 o'clock and they don't lock in place). In pre-mirrorless days, the original Oly 4/3 mount was the only one that could take Hexanon lenses after some slight modifications, on the whole reversible. And I suspect this is why your lenses mount onto the adapter (incidentally, aren't they a little loose? The original trick with K/AR lenses on the Oly 4/3 mount called for shims/spacers to take up the slack). That's my suspicion, although I may be wrong.
I've used several different types of K/AR to Sony E-mount adapters (Fotga, Fotasy, Selens and, yes, K&F), and while some are better, some worse (and while I don't really like any of them), I've yet to encounter F2F issues.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreehalgh1, most of my adapters work well too, and some work great. But something is wrong all right - this one is too short. All these cheap adapters come from hundreds of independent shops and they all have different quality standards, or lack thereof. It is to be expected that the stuff they turn out will have varying sizes and tolerances. Like I said, I have another K&F ring that works great on an M39 mount. I particularly like the Metabones Speed Boosters; they allow the adjustment of the infinity focusing point. I don't know of any others that do.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I must have a dozen AR adapters, to both M4/3 and E mount and never had a problem. I have loads of K&F adapters of different types and never had a problem with those either.

1.32mm is way too big a gap to be down to manufacturing QC issues, something is wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Help, I need a good Konica AR adapter for Sony E Mount Reply with quote

mysticeyes wrote:
konicamera, are you kidding me Smile? This is an adapter made by K&F to mount Konica AR lenses to Sony E mount; it even says "Konica-NEX" on its side. How would it be possible to mount a bayonet lens on an adapter made for another mount? The physical reality is that I bought a Konica lens that came with an adapter, and that when I measure the adapter - with calipers - it is 1.32mm short of what it should be. That's why the lens reaches infinity at less than 20 feet distance and goes way beyond that. And I know what the register distances should be; that's how I came up with that number.

No offense meant, but this is what came to my mind based on the information you gave. I had no idea your adapter, whoever made it, was intended specifically for this mount combination. But if it is written Konica-NEX on it, I guess that settles it. But in this case I think someone messed it up big time - it seems to me that 1.32mm goes way beyond margins of error or quality assurance issues.
And Hexanon lenses do fit Olympus' 4/3 mount. That's something I know from experience. Ten years ago, before mirrorless cameras made their apearance, that was the only way to use Hexanons on a digital medium. Thousands of us Hexanon owners did it. The lugs fit and all. It just doesn't lock and has a bit fore and aft movement, hence the spacer ring.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help, I need a good Konica AR adapter for Sony E Mount Reply with quote

I think it's curious that the empirical data says one thing, and people tell me, "Oh, that's impossible," to paraphrase a bit. I'm sure you know that adapters can't all be of the same length and quality. This one is just off by a wide margin, that's all. And I've never messed with 4/3 gear. The sensor is too small for my liking Smile.

konicamera wrote:
mysticeyes wrote:

No offense meant, but this is what came to my mind based on the information you gave. I had no idea your adapter, whoever made it, was intended specifically for this mount combination. But if it is written Konica-NEX on it, I guess that settles it. But in this case I think someone messed it up big time - it seems to me that 1.32mm goes way beyond margins of error or quality assurance issues.
And Hexanon lenses do fit Olympus' 4/3 mount. That's something I know from experience. Ten years ago, before mirrorless cameras made their apearance, that was the only way to use Hexanons on a digital medium. Thousands of us Hexanon owners did it. The lugs fit and all. It just doesn't lock and has a bit fore and aft movement, hence the spacer ring.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have acquired several different adapters for various lens types to fit Fuji FX digital. I have usually chosen the cheapest and have not stuck with just one adapter manufacturer.
For sure there are some variations in fit but they have all worked well - except for the first Konica AR adapter. It fitted the Fuji but was way out for the Konica lens that attached to it. I can't remember the supplier as it was some years ago now.
I have a friend who turned it down to a size that would accept an M42 female screw plate and I use it now for something else.
The point is simply that it was the K-AR adapter that was the odd one out of all my adapters. I might have gotten one from the same supplier as mysticeyes .

Interesting
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help, I need a good Konica AR adapter for Sony E Mount Reply with quote

mysticeyes wrote:

There's not much I can do for you as I import for K&F Concept accessories into the UK, and you're in the US.

I get very few lens adapter returns due to manufacturing errors, but they can occur. The problem you have described sounds pretty extreme and assuming that you have attempted to mount the lens correctly (I'm sorry but I have to say that), then you should get in touch with the seller to arrange a replacement or refund. If you have difficulty with the seller, please let me know and I will speak directly with K&F in China.

Best,

Simon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help, I need a good Konica AR adapter for Sony E Mount Reply with quote

Hello Mr. Forster, I think I've heard you on a podcast, which I enjoyed quite a bit. I'm sure you know a lot more than I do, but I'd like to see how it is possible to mount a lens "incorrectly." Again, I've got a male Konica mount going into a female Konica mount in the adapter, matching red dots. It snaps into place. The adapter is just short.

itsfozzy wrote:

There's not much I can do for you as I import for K&F Concept accessories into the UK, and you're in the US.

I get very few lens adapter returns due to manufacturing errors, but they can occur. The problem you have described sounds pretty extreme and assuming that you have attempted to mount the lens correctly (I'm sorry but I have to say that), then you should get in touch with the seller to arrange a replacement or refund. If you have difficulty with the seller, please let me know and I will speak directly with K&F in China.

Best,

Simon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help, I need a good Konica AR adapter for Sony E Mount Reply with quote

mysticeyes wrote:
Hello Mr. Forster, I think I've heard you on a podcast, which I enjoyed quite a bit. I'm sure you know a lot more than I do, but I'd like to see how it is possible to mount a lens "incorrectly." Again, I've got a male Konica mount going into a female Konica mount in the adapter, matching red dots. It snaps into place. The adapter is just short.

itsfozzy wrote:

Best,

Simon

It's a bit of a catch all statement, but I use it because I've experienced customers with staggeringly low levels of knowledge. The fact that you are a member of this forum would suggest you know what you are talking about, but I've learned not to take anything for granted! The main thing is, it sounds like the adapter is faulty and if the seller is a responsible one, he/she should replace the adapter or provide you with a refund. If you have difficulty with the seller, please let me know and I'll try and help you out.

Glad you're enjoying the podcast! As for my knowledge level, it pales into insignificance compared to many of the members of this forum...