Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-Tessar 75/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: S-Tessar 75/4.5 Reply with quote

I found this lens in a local sale. I knew it is used for macro photography and draw my attention. Could be that I have a bad day, but I can't find any other info,specs, mention, review or samples about/of/with it on web, besides the "for sale" descriptions on various websites and the mentioning on Klaus's macro lenses database.
Does anyone here know a bit more about this lens and real life use of it?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen that one before, there is a big S-Tessar 5.6/300mm that pops up for sale on ebay fairly often, apparently removed from some kind of copy/printing machine.

Some people have made telescopes out of the 300mm version:

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/articles/carl-zeiss-300mm-f56-s-tessar-rft-r3044

Apparently, the lens is optimised for high magnification ratios at close distance and is poor at infinity, suffering from lots of aberrations:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/530820-carl-zeiss-300-mm-f56-s-tessar/

There is some more info here, apparently the lens is optimised for 1:1 reproduction and is corrected for UV light:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/300mm-s-tessar.89357/

So if the 75mm version has the same characteristics, I'd say it might make a decent macro lens for 1:1 magnification, but is probably poor at any other application.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the comments about the 300mm S-tessar - they are not always favorable. The 300 it is quite often mentioned. I've read somewhere that for the S-Tessars the longer focal lengths were for some kind of copy machines and the shorter lenses for macro photography or microfilm reading. Meanwhile I found this link :
http://forum.mflenses.com/iris-w-luminar-100-6-3-and-czj-s-tessar-120-6-3-t40496.html
To my eyes that 120mm S-Tessar it's not bad at all. If the 75mm is on pair with the 120 then it might worth a chance. The price is not high, maybe I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 120 S-Tessar is described in this document as being designed for colour separations and being used successfully for macro photography:

http://www.arnecroell.com/czj.pdf

No mention of the 75mm in question though..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb, thanks for pointing out that CZJ made S-Tessars.

All of the 300/5.6 S-Tessars in plain barrels with no diaphragm that I've seen on eBay and at camera shows were made by Zeiss Oberkochen.

Has anyone here used a CZJ S-Tessar?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S-Tessar was being made and sold in the 1930s, before Zeiss split, so logically Jena made S-Tessars when they continued the pre-war products. The 4.5/75 and 6.3/120 S-Tessars I've seen were 1930s/40s items sold as enlarging lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Klaus is right about the thread size being M26x0.75, I find it hard to belive this lens was intended for enlarger use.
Anyway I bought one out of curiosity, I will probably receive it in 3-4 days.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucca1x wrote:
If Klaus is right about the thread size being M26x0.75, I find it hard to belive this lens was intended for enlarger use.
Anyway I bought one out of curiosity, I will probably receive it in 3-4 days.

"S" Lenses in Zeiss connotation always meant lenses used for special applications, often macro or close conjugates (S-Planars for instance for chip making), so this S-Tessar certainly was no enlarger lens, too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

"S" Lenses in Zeiss connotation always meant lenses used for special applications, often macro or close conjugates (S-Planars for instance for chip making), so this S-Tessar certainly was no enlarger lens, too.

Thanks for the info, that's what I thought also, but I wasn't sure. Did you, by any chance, tested one of the 75/4.5 ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucca1x wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Thanks for the info, that's what I thought also, but I wasn't sure. Did you, by any chance, tested one of the 75/4.5 ?

A very old test I once made, it is in there, 2nd to last image (click on any image to see a larger one):
http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=201

S-Tessar 75mm:

S-Tessars were made up to 1962 (Zeiss Jana) and 1974 (Zeiss West) according to my documents (Thiele).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1930s S-Tessar 4.5/75 I had had the aperture markings engraved the wrong way up for a photographic lens, so I thought it was an enlarger lens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very kind of you to share that test and the info, Klaus. Thanks !
At least the S-Tessar 75 it's not the worst from the tested lot Smile
The contrast it isn't too good, most probably the lens it's single coated. Maybe Pp could help. The same seller has a T coated version, but from the images he provided I suspected separation on the multicoated lens, so I took the older version.

Thanks guys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received it today. Quick dirty test with one burned hdd PCB and an old piece of jewellery, hard led light, aperture f8-f11,quick LR PP.
Blue SMDs are 3mm wide:

Subject it's 13mm wide: