Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD Celtic?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Minolta MD Celtic? Reply with quote

Are there any Minolta fans here? I have never shot with a Minolta lens and was curious about the Celtic line offered by Minolta. They sell them dirt cheap on eBay. I seen at least 7 or 8 Minolta 135mm Celtics listed as 'buy now', for under 20.00 USD. I ordered an adapter for my Pentax, I wont get infinity, but my goal is to use the lenses for close-up or macro work.

So, Celtic line opinions? Perhaps some photos from a Celtic 135mm lens?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Celtic line is Minolta's budget line. Differences in build quality, coating and some have a different optical design.

I do not know how they perform, never seen one for sale in the Netherlands.

Here's a list: http://minolta.rokkor.de/celticlenses.htm

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD Celtic? Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
Are there any Minolta fans here? I have never shot with a Minolta lens and was curious about the Celtic line offered by Minolta. They sell them dirt cheap on eBay. I seen at least 7 or 8 Minolta 135mm Celtics listed as 'buy now', for under 20.00 USD. I ordered an adapter for my Pentax, I wont get infinity, but my goal is to use the lenses for close-up or macro work.

So, Celtic line opinions? Perhaps some photos from a Celtic 135mm lens?

Thanks in advance.

Well we need a volunteer to compare Celtic lenses to MD lenses as I don't have any (Celtic) Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always read that the Celtic 135's are good. I don't believe the 5/4 element/group Cetic is an original Minolta computation as they never had a 135mm in that configuration and it's significantly longer and heavier than any other. The 4/4 Celtic (denoted by built-in lens shade) on the other hand, is the same optics set as the 4/4 MC-X and MD-I.
It's not confirmed anywhere reliably, but the Celtic line is supposed to have used a reduced multicoating. To my own eye, it seems not as complex as even the older MC-I and MC-II era lenses and reminds me more of the Auto-Rokkor lenses but without having any to compare or see in hand (except for 1), it's all a bit of speculation. I've read that some internal elements may only be single-coated as well.

It's mentioned here [http://www.subclub.org/minman/mcceltic.htm] the other details: "Prior to the Rokkor-X line, Minolta lenses used an achromatic coating on its lenses. This provides more than adequate protection against flare in most situations. The MC Celtic line continued to use the older coating which helped reduce the cost. They also cut a few other corners. For example, the red alignment bump of the MC Rokkor-X line is replaced with a painted red dot, DOF buttons are not included, lens cases and hoods were accessories, the warranty period was shorter, the focal length is not painted on the lens barrel, and the lens caps are less-expensive, push-on types."

Overall Celtic is supposed to be the same quality optics - the same as the regular Rokkor line - dressed in a cheaper package.

Last edited by Teemō on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD Celtic? Reply with quote

Quote:
Well we need a volunteer to compare Celtic lenses to MD lenses as I don't have any (Celtic) Wink

Well, as of now I own ZERO Minolta lenses. I did see a couple nice samples of the 135mm MD line for about the 35.00 mark, there cheap enough to give a go. I may grab a celtic just because the price range is just about nothing and see how well it preforms.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick helpful replies guys. I think the Celtic is so cheap, that it wouldn't hurt to give one a go.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Celtics were only sold in the US, so us Europeans have no idea I'm afraid.

Minolta MD lenses I own and I think are all very good to excellent:

2/45
1.7/50
2/50
1.4/50
2.8/35
2.8/28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

So, in my quest to collect them all i might have to buy them in the US..... let's stick to Rokkors then first! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Minolta MD lenses I own and I think are all very good to excellent:

2/45
1.7/50
2/50
1.4/50
2.8/35
2.8/28

I don't recall ever seeing a Celtic lens here in the UK, even at the big camera fairs. And I like my Rokkors, always on the lookout for nice ones.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen one here either, and Minolta lenses are hardly uncommon here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MC and MD lenses are often dirt cheap here in Japan. The main problem is fungus. The hot and humid summers play havoc with lenses.

One thing to note about many MD lenses, the lens groups are often sealed. And if there is fungus inside a group, you can't open it.

That said, you can find plenty of MC lenses with fungus, that are super easy to open and clean.
E.g. I see many MC 55mm F1.7 lenses, for less than $10 equivalent. And loads of 135mm, F2.8 and F3.5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a pair of Minolta 135mm for a whopping 40.00, that includes shipping. I landed the Celtic and the standard MD on best offers. I highly doubt there will be a difference in performance, but for 40.00 I couldn't pass. They will be my first Minolta's. I seen a 100mm, I believe it was labeled QE @ 3.5. I will have to double check on that, but any how it was listed in the 60.00 range, stated as extremely clean.

Here are the lenses I won.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100 / 3.5 ....if it is the MACRO lens, is a great lens and usually demands a good price.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The 100 / 3.5 ....if it is the MACRO lens, is a great lens and usually demands a good price.

It's not labeled as a macro.

This is the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
I seen a 100mm, I believe it was labeled QE @ 3.5. I will have to double check on that, but any how it was listed in the 60.00 range, stated as extremely clean.

should be this one: http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-mc-tele-rokkor-qe-3-5-100-t69262.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! Posted it together i guess!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
I just purchased a pair of Minolta 135mm for a whopping 40.00, that includes shipping. I landed the Celtic and the standard MD on best offers. I highly doubt there will be a difference in performance, but for 40.00 I couldn't pass. They will be my first Minolta's.

The MD Celtic is the 4l/4g variant introduced 1977 and the MD III is the latest 5l/5g variant introduced 1981. In fact they are different lenses. The MD III should be the better one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
spiralcity wrote:
I seen a 100mm, I believe it was labeled QE @ 3.5. I will have to double check on that, but any how it was listed in the 60.00 range, stated as extremely clean.

should be this one

No, it's the pre-MC version (SR II) from the mid 1960's. However, the construction didn't change (5l/4g). It's known to be a very nice and sharp lens, even on modern FF digital cameras. MFD is 1.2m/4ft. hence it's definitely no macro lens. $ 60 sounds reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that 3.5/100, it is an excellent lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iangreenhalgh1"]The Celtics were only sold in the US, so us Europeans have no idea I'm afraid. . . ]

I'm afraid that the Celtic lenses were indeed sold in the UK in the 1970s. I can say so with absolute certainty because we had at least the 28mm and 135mm in stock. They came from the official Minolta importer (Japanese Cameras Ltd, part of the Photopia International Group ) so they weren't "grey imports". I can't recall what other, if any, focal lengths were available.

They didn't exactly sell like hot cakes. They were very nicely finished, slightly less shiny than the regular MD range, but not a great deal cheaper than the MD family. Around the same time Canon introduced the confusingly-named "FL" range, presumably following the same flawed logic that people buying supposedly top class cameras would flock to save very little money buying a "second division" product. At the time we assumed they were made by someone else for Minolta and Canon but neither JapCams nor Canon would ever admit it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Canon introduced the confusingly-named "FL" range***

You've confused me as I thought fl lenses were before FD then later FDn after FD ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="scsambrook"]
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Celtics were only sold in the US, so us Europeans have no idea I'm afraid. . . ]

I'm afraid that the Celtic lenses were indeed sold in the UK in the 1970s. I can say so with absolute certainty because we had at least the 28mm and 135mm in stock. They came from the official Minolta importer (Japanese Cameras Ltd, part of the Photopia International Group ) so they weren't "grey imports". I can't recall what other, if any, focal lengths were available.

They didn't exactly sell like hot cakes. They were very nicely finished, slightly less shiny than the regular MD range, but not a great deal cheaper than the MD family. Around the same time Canon introduced the confusingly-named "FL" range, presumably following the same flawed logic that people buying supposedly top class cameras would flock to save very little money buying a "second division" product. At the time we assumed they were made by someone else for Minolta and Canon but neither JapCams nor Canon would ever admit it.

Thanks for the correction, I guess very few people bought them as they are never seen here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

You've confused me as I thought fl lenses were before FD then later FDn after FD ?

Yep that's how I saw it too.
Actually some Canon FL lenses were absolute crackers - the 2.5/35 and the 3.5/135 among them.
As for the Minoltas - and I apologise if this is off topic, but there is a cracking 2.5/100 Rokkor PF worth finding as well
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Yep that's how I saw it too.
Actually some Canon FL lenses were absolute crackers - the 2.5/35 and the 3.5/135 among them.
As for the Minoltas - and I apologise if this is off topic, but there is a cracking 2.5/100 Rokkor PF worth finding as well
Tom

..and the Canon FL 100mm f3.5 is very good. But an excellent basic Minolta lens is the MD 50mm f1.7 (can't see any difference compared to the 50mm f1.4 on a film camera) and should be a starter into using Minolta lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

It confused quite a few of us back then as well Smile I think the "second generation" FL lenses included 28mm, 35mm and 135mm- maybe a 200mm but memory fails me now. They had the aperture rings at the front end, like the original FLs but were dull and not shiny. I've seen the occasional one on eBay but they sold in small numbers (in the UK at least) and are uncommon. The packaging was different to the other Canon lenses too, so that the whole impression was of a "second division" product.

I never used one, so can't comment on how well they performed.

It was around the same time (I think) that Nikon brought out their "Series E" range. They looked really cheap and cheerful and eventually Nikon restyled them, whereafter they did sell quite well. The optics were the same in both versions.

More recently Leica Camera AG has been down pretty much the same road with its Summarit range. And Rolex with their Tudor brand