Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing wide angle converters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Testing wide angle converters Reply with quote

On Olympus OM-D E-M5 with Nikkor 2.8/24. They are all good in the centre, it's the corners where the issues arise.

2 and 4 are not bad at all, 1 and 3 are bad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the two better converters after CA correction and sharpening

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the two best converters?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to note all the model numbers but they were:

1. Century Optics 0.65x
2. Fujinon 0.75x
3. Olympus VF-KL3 0.6x
4. Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 0.7x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was interested in your results and converters as I have recently been given an Olympus IS-3000 complete system which includes an Olympus IS/L B-28 0.8X converter (55mm thread). If you don't mind I'll attach it to my Konica Hexanon AR 24mm f2.8 and do a similar test to yours and publish the results here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do. I have more converter tests to post as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of images with the Olympus 0.6x, they have had some PP. Most images taken with this combo were pretty crappy due to the smeary edges.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short series with the Schneider Xenar 0.7x on Nikkor 2.8/24, it's not a bad combo, not as good as a 17mm prime but usable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also one of these Olympus W/A converters which was originally designed to convert a 35mm lens into a 28mm one. That works quite well with good picture quality. If you mount such a converter onto a 24mm lens you get awful smeary corners, though the performance on a 28mm lens is still somehow acceptable. Maybe your Olympus converter is a similar construction. That would explain that crappy performance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of that and tested them on both 24 and 28mm lenses, they worked better on the 24, on the 28 the edges were just as bad, slightly worse in fact.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ian,I have the Century Optics Xenar .7x and mount it onto Tokina 24mm f2.8 which gives me best results far better than on any 28mm....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite interesting. However, my Olympus W/A converter does only 0.8 X.
I bought it several years ago to make my Minolta D7i bridge camera with fixed 28-200mm zoom wider and that worked quite good. Obviously because the actual focal length is only 7.2mm (28mm FOV equ.). Actually I didn't test it on a real 28mm lens. Most probably it will be also worse. Nevertheless, I'm somehow lost now why those converters work better on wider lenses. My logic tells me that it should be rather the other way round.....