Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ultrafast Lenses – Legends, budget options, modding, tests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Ultrafast Lenses – Legends, budget options, modding, tests Reply with quote

I might be the last to discover this bunch, but I thought I'd share.

Production values are high and it hits the requisites of 'inform, educate and entertain'. A worthy 50 minutes during this lock-down.

At 28:50, they go into membership costs if you want to support. There seems to be quite a lot of freebies for what they are asking. I have no connection with them.

I hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p5E7iXxeQE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very comprehensive dive into the subject indeed.

I do have an option to jerry rig something like T1.1 for APS-C if I really wanted to, by combining FDn 50/1.2 and Lens Turbo II FD-NEX.
The only reason I have not is: it makes more sense to just use said 50/1.2 on FF body.

By far the cheapest option in getting as close as possible to T1 on FF is used Mitakon 50/0.95.
The weight, while decent for what it is, is far and beyond the definition of "walkaround" or "travel" lens.

50/1.2, doing some 1.2 things.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That's a lovely shot aidaho. It looks like a still from a 1940s film noir.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
^^ That's a lovely shot aidaho. It looks like a still from a 1940s film noir.

Thanks.

Related topic on 50mm low light performance: http://forum.mflenses.com/nifty-fifty-low-light-performance-t81184.html

In terms of lens characteristics like size, weight and IQ, one has to start taking increasingly noticeable penalties after we cross T2 for FF. And once below T1.4, on the way to theoretical maximum, the law of diminishing returns is outright brutal.

The F0.7 lens in video above demonstrates this very well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:

In terms of lens characteristics like size, weight and IQ, one has to start taking increasingly noticeable penalties after we cross T2 for FF. And once below T1.4, on the way to theoretical maximum, the law of diminishing returns is outright brutal.

The F0.7 lens in video above demonstrates this very well.

I wonder how the American Optical made, Solid Schmidt, mentioned in the vid, performed at f:0.384 Shocked .

https://archive.org/stream/USAF_lens_datasheets/01-Section-1#page/n24/mode/1up

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looking at the specs on that lens: 3.259" (83mm) focal length, but the objective diameter is over 14" -- that's over 355mm. For an 83mm focal length lens! Not exactly hand-holdable, I suspect.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finding subjects and nailing focus wide open lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the M-Mount 7artisans 1.1/50mm for nightshots. Decent size and weight on my A7II.