Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma DSLR-thread (SD9/10/14/15/1/1M)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Sigma DSLR-thread (SD9/10/14/15/1/1M) Reply with quote

In this thread, some discussions on Sigma arose. Since there's a lot more to discuss about these fine camera's ,lets chat here on the camera-specific topics Like 1 small

One issue that arose was the dust protector / IR filter. For the SD10, this is not available anymore. I think that during my search, I did notice some references to the filter for the SD14/15 being for sale still. But for my SD10, I would need a donor-body (or a permanent conversion to full spectrum if I happen to break it Rolling Eyes )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma DSLR-thread (SD9/10/14/15/1/1M) Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
In this thread, some discussions on Sigma arose. Since there's a lot more to discuss about these fine camera's ,lets chat here on the camera-specific topics Like 1 small

One issue that arose was the dust protector / IR filter. For the SD10, this is not available anymore. I think that during my search, I did notice some references to the filter for the SD14/15 being for sale still. But for my SD10, I would need a donor-body (or a permanent conversion to full spectrum if I happen to break it Rolling Eyes )

I telephoned Sigma USA. They confirm the SD10 filter is no longer available from them.

They also said they support their camera bodies with parts for seven years following discontinuance of the product.

In USA backordered filters for the SD14 and SD15 (same part number) should become available once again later this week. Cost is US$30. However Sigma says the SD15 was discontinued in 2011. This means after this year (2018) spare IR filters for the SD14 and SD15 might no longer be available from Sigma.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think $30 is a very fair price for the filter. If you intend to use the camera for a longer time, it would not hurt to stock a few.

I will start scavenging the 2nd hand sites for a donor SD10, just in case. I need to clean the filter on my camera, also in the inner side. And with my luck, if I do not have a replacement on the shelf, things do break Mr. Green

I really like the SD10 though. It has an extremely basic and straightforward interface, no bells&whistles. The LCD is hopeless, but so what? I can review pics at home too! I was warned that it is a very slow camera, but since I do not shoot action, that is no problem to me. Often, I like to take my time to mess up a shot. Another thing I really like: The camera is very sensitive to correct exposure; more modern camera's made me lazy in this respect, so it's good to teach myself some discipline again. Another pleasant surprise was the OVF, somehow I really like it!

If in the longer run, I like the size, I will get the SDQH too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SD10, i have one as well! It's hardly getting any use nowadays..... thought about selling it, but i simply can't for some reason.

Last few times that i used it i had the hotfilter out, so i can shoot full-spectrum or IR with a filter in front of the lens. Never came to my mind that it can take manual lenses as well.

What adapter do you use to mount M42 lenses?

Thanks, René!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

René, the adapter I used has an inner ring that pushes down the aperture-pin (for lenses fitter with one)
These are a bit more expensive, but it gives a lot of extra security: the pin wont damage the filter or touch the electronic contacts while mounting/unmounting the lens.

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-screw-mount-lens-to-Sigma-SA-SD-SD15-SD1-Quattro-H-camera-ciecio7-adapter/251731044079?hash=item3a9c56e6ef:g:CyEAAOSwWcNZ0dJh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I'm not too worried, i've kept the M42 lenses with A/M switch that pull the pin in and/or i've modified them!

I wasn't aware that there actually is a specific adapter for SD cameras, i was under the impression i had to use some kind of Pentax adapter, as the SA mount is technically almost the same, except for register distance and a somewhat wider throat. They should fit, but i've never tried.
Seems better to just get an adapter, they can be had cheap enough, and give the SD10 some love again this year!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:

Seems better to just get an adapter, they can be had cheap enough, and give the SD10 some love again this year!
Have fun!

My first impression of the SD10 is really positive. It is very sensitive to correct exposure, and that will force me some discipline, which is a good thing. And there's no chance at reviewing on the LCD immediately after the shot, because, well, the display cannot do much more beynd showing a picture was actually made Mr. Green

More modern camera's have made me a bit lazy in these respects.

The SD10 is not a camera for everyday-use, but when I have a sunny afternoon off, it will be great to take the bicycle, pack the SD10 and a tripod, and shoot whatever curiosity I encounter.