Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil-V-Cassarit 3.5/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Steinheil-V-Cassarit 3.5/50 Reply with quote

Got this small and light lens a mounted on an old enlarger. It is made of plastic but has a pretty construction (with small round window for the aperture values) and a triangular diaphragm. Surprisingly, the latter does not show off in the shots.

Taken with Nex, W/O and at 5.6, and with autocontrast applied.

Last edited by alex ph on Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about the Cassarits. I have heard conflicting reports on the IQ of these things. Thanks for posting these. Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks fairly good, but it also seems to flare quite easily.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flare, and contrast issues, typical of uncoated or poorly coated optics I think.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, jamaeolus, I am glad it is of use and curiousity satisfaction. There are two or three reports on Cassarits here in the forum, though concerning the f2.8 variety, which is a dedicated photolens version.

Martinsmith99, your observation is quite correct, the lens is prone to flare and veiling, on Nex, without hood (which is worth a precision). Jamaeolus, you are perfectly correct too, the lens does not seem to have any coating. And after a closer inspection I notice a sligth haze on the central glass of my copy. As a result, the SOOC images look pretty washed out, but they are instantly and nicely corrected within a second with the autocontrast function.

Here is a couple of SOOC jpegs, corresponding to the shots showed previously

I admit this does not happen to any lens. Some French lenses and some other German ones are not as easily improved using the autocontrast function. I wonder the reason why. One can say, it depends on the algorythm, and that must be the case. Meanwhile the algorythm should have control points of white and black (or something of the kind) to improve the whole range, doesn't it? In this case the lens' capacity to render correct basic colours as extreme reference points should be involved in the game. SOOC taken with some lenses seem to have a short DR, and even pushing hard exposure and contrast does not really change the balance. While some others, including this small triplet, let the image be instantly adjusted to a good visual consistency.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil-V-Cassarit 3.5/50 Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Got this small and light lens a mounted on an old enlarger. It is made of plastic but has a pretty construction (with small round window for the aperture values) and a triangular diaphragm. Surprisingly, the latter does not show off in the shots.

Taken with Nex, W/O and at 5.6, and with autocontrast applied.

Like 1

I like the look of this one - very beautiful!

I own this lens as well and had some fun using its beautiful triangular bokeh shape as an effect:

You‘ve finally match your master! by simple.joy, on Flickr

Jester single moment by simple.joy, on Flickr

Triangulating the essence of music by simple.joy, on Flickr

But even apart from that it's able to produce images with excellent quality (though only at certain magnifications, which I haven't quite figured out):

A yell over blue! by simple.joy, on Flickr

Preparing to leave by simple.joy, on Flickr

I can confirm, that it easily looses a lot of contrast under certain lighting conditions, which can be a detriment of course, but I liked it in terms of the mood for this shot:

Keys to happiness. Keys to despair. by simple.joy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your work is always enjoyable for the eye, thanks to a great balance of shapes an colours. Did you reach this sparkling effect in the first two shots with a correctly put light and autocontrast, or you added a good bit of saturation in PP?

This time you also managed to get the most of the triangular aperture, congrats.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Your work is always enjoyable for the eye, thanks to a great balance of shapes an colours. Did you reach this sparkling effect in the first two shots with a correctly put light and autocontrast, or you added a good bit of saturation in PP?

This time you also managed to get the most of the triangular aperture, congrats.

Thank you very much - that's really kind! All of those images are processed. I don't remember what I did in the case of the first two shots, but I'm sure I increased saturation somewhat in both cases. The first one also has a texture applied to the background (somewhing I almost never do, but I thought it would work here).

Here's another one:
Enormous weight by simple.joy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

And thank you for the detail of your work. You add PP features in a very gentle way, submitting tech tools to the idea. That makes the shots look really good and natural.