Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can this Soligor mount be exchanged ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Can this Soligor mount be exchanged ? Reply with quote

I'm watching a Soligor with a MD mount which I can't use with my current gear. (the MD mount... ) Soligor has used T-mounts, T 4, the odd 47mm, but this one doesn't look like it could be changed for another mount (like the Soligor / Miranda ?) What do you think ?
Sorry for the poor pics. These are crops of bad quality screenshots 😊

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like T4 mount adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a changeable mount. In the second photo, the bump at bottom should have a release button to allow the collar to be twisted to release the mount.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor used a 'IS Mount' - but that doesn't look quite like the one I have. What lens is it on? I've got a Soligor 55-135 / 3.5 in my sale boxes that might have a strange mount, I'll have a look tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Can this Soligor mount be exchanged ? Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
I'm watching a Soligor with a MD mount which I can't use with my current gear. (the MD mount... ) Soligor has used T-mounts, T 4, the odd 47mm, but this one doesn't look like it could be changed for another mount (like the Soligor / Miranda ?) What do you think ?
Sorry for the poor pics. These are crops of bad quality screenshots 😊

Looks like T4 interchangeable mount, also available for Vivitar lenes. But be careful with Tx adapters for Vivitar lenses. They look very similar. What I heard is T4 adapter can be used on Tx lenses, but not vice versa.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 200 f3,5. I didn't even notice the bump at the bottom, but it's a bit oddly placed. The T4 lock is usually more to the top. All pics are quite bad. That makes it a T4 or Tx possibility indeed. I don't know anything about Tx. Are they only found with Vivitars ? Thanks to all. I might just buy it...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like T4 like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Soligor-Tele-Auto-Lens-1-3-5-f-200mm-67-w-Quantaray-67mm-1A-Lens/264960564778

Lens made by Tokina. I have the Tokina version with a fixed m42 mount. I see no screws in the rear mount so this should be t4 considering the switch hump.

Under the right conditions it can make great pics
Cat Bokeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Applekeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice the bump either, I think it might be the TX mount, and I have figured out a way of using both Soligor and Vivitar mounts on either lens. They are very close to identical, but when I got one stuck on the others lens I emasured and checked all my lenses and mounts, I found that the locking mechanism, the toothed claw, was closer to the lens centerline on one set of lenses - I can't remember which off the top of my head - and all it needed was a layer of paper under the lock switch to shim it out a tiny bit. I did a thread here ages ago, I'll try and find it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T4, most definitely. There is some limited interchangeability among T4 and TX. Lloydy's issue is most likely a tolerance problem as I've not yet had an interchange problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely a T4 adapter, which were marketed by both Soligor and Vivitar.. TX adapters, however, were only carried by Vivitar.
The "bump" is never at the top, where it would interfere with DOF markings and the aperture scale, which is double length on all T4/TX lenses.
It is usually found at around 4-5 o'clock, looking from the camera end.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed the T4 mount; I have two Soligor lenses with this interchangeable mount:
400/6.3 and 135/2.8, both of 1970's Tokina vintage.
Both are marked with "T4" at the release-lever housing(bump).

Both of my lenses work fine on the one mount I have between them,
and both work well on my Canon EOS 50D and EOS 5D MkIV.
The one mount I have terminates at M42.

I've frequently searched for adapters to take these directly from T4/TX
to Canon EF/EF-S, but I've yet to find a single one.
It's a bit surprising, as I can adapt things like Tamron's Adaptall-2
to Canon with a one-piece adapter, such as I have on my SP 60-300
and SP 28-80, while these T4/TX mounts are rare as hen's teeth.

Be sure it terminates in a mount you can use/adapt, or it's likely to be
useless to you. These mount adapters don't seem to exist, except when
attached to some lenses, many of which are very costly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
It is indeed the T4 mount; I have two Soligor lenses with this interchangeable mount:
400/6.3 and 135/2.8, both of 1970's Tokina vintage.
Both are marked with "T4" at the release-lever housing(bump).

Both of my lenses work fine on the one mount I have between them,
and both work well on my Canon EOS 50D and EOS 5D MkIV.
The one mount I have terminates at M42.

I've frequently searched for adapters to take these directly from T4/TX
to Canon EF/EF-S, but I've yet to find a single one.
It's a bit surprising, as I can adapt things like Tamron's Adaptall-2
to Canon with a one-piece adapter, such as I have on my SP 60-300
and SP 28-80, while these T4/TX mounts are rare as hen's teeth.

Be sure it terminates in a mount you can use/adapt, or it's likely to be
useless to you. These mount adapters don't seem to exist, except when
attached to some lenses, many of which are very costly.

Yes there is alot you can find Adaptall-2 to adapt to, but the Canon EF is as rare as hens teeth. I go to OM Olympus and add a OM - EF afconfirm adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon (and minolta) changed their mounts in the mid eighties, to facilitate autofocus. I don't know when the production of TX mount lenses ceased but its clear the mount changes postdated TX development. Tamron did produce adaptall mounts for both EF and minolta A but then faced a legal challenge that caused production to cease. So the original adaptall mounts are rare, but in any case they are no different in function to the current clone mounts Ad to EF or Sony A that can be obtained online.