Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax-M 35-70mm f2.8-3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: SMC Pentax-M 35-70mm f2.8-3.5 Reply with quote

Not a popular focal range these days, so this lens is often overlooked.
It is rather good.
Only a couple of images so far, but I will add more.
Tom

f8

wide open of course

crop from above at wide open

Last edited by Oldhand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:09 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: SMC Pentax-M 35-70mm f4 Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Not a popular focal range so this lens is often overlooked.

Which wasn't like that in the film days! 35-70 lenses were probably produced by just about any manufacturer. Some even put every effort in them to make it as good as possible, like the Minolta/Leica versions, Tamron SP and the Olympus f/3.6 : "a bag of primes".

I always thought it is due to the fact that most digital users have crop sensors on which 35-70 as a walk-around doesn't make much sense for most people. On full-frame it is a different story, especially with an added "macro" function for close-ups.

Isn't yours the Pentax-A? I thought the Pentax-M is f/2.8-3.5.

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: SMC Pentax-M 35-70mm f2.8-3.5 Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Not a popular focal range so this lens is often overlooked.

Which wasn't like that in the film days! 35-70 lenses were probably produced by just about any manufacturer. Some even put every effort in them to make it as good as possible, like the Minolta/Leica versions, Tamron SP and the Olympus f/3.6 : "a bag of primes".

I always thought it is due to the fact that most digital users have crop sensors on which 35-70 as a walk-around doesn't make much sense for most people. On full-frame it is a different story, especially with an added "macro" function for close-ups.

Isn't yours the Pentax-A? I thought the Pentax-M is f/2.8-3.5.

Cheers, René!

Thank you René.
I did mean - of course - not a popular focal length now Smile
Yes, my mistake - mine is the Pentax-M 35-70 f2.8-3.5
I don't know how I got that mixed up.
I will change the title
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: The autofocus M 35-70mm Reply with quote

I have the autofocus f2.8 version of this lens. The vcamera it was intended for, the MEF, was only produced for a short while, it was Pentax's first foray into AF.

The lens is in decent condition, good optically. Some pics with my K5, all manually focussed the lens will only AF on the MEF.:

It was interesting to me how using b&w and tweaking the blue slider in LR3 really brought the sky out compared to the colour jpg:

Deserves a rep as one of the best pentax zooms of that era IMO... Clunky to use mind you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very good images there marcusBMG
Here are a few more quickies from my lens
T

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of images from this lens today.
T

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia Day here and a holiday for all.
I took the SMC Pentax-M 35-70 f2.8-3.5 along for the outing and here are some images from it.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more image from this very dependable lens and then a couple of images of the lens itself.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more shot from today
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Very nice,I have the F version which is AF or MF and is a great lens.

can produce nice Bokeh......

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you kryss.
Also very nice colour as you will expect from Pentax SMC glass
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And - a panorama taken with this lens and stitched in LR.
Four shots taken in portrait mode before stitching.
Tom