Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fotodiox Pro Konica to EOS adapter probplem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Fotodiox Pro Konica to EOS adapter probplem Reply with quote

I have Fotodiox Pro Konica to EOS. When shooting with Hexanon 85mm 1.8 wide open images are really soft and hazy.

When stopped down to f/2.8, glow starts to disappear and by f/4 it is practically gone. Is this normal? Anyone else having the same problem?

The lens is near mint and clear (no haze or fungus). When I use it in my Fuji XT-2 (with different adapter of course), it is tack sharp from wide open.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fotodiox Pro Konica to EOS adapter probplem Reply with quote

Welcome Schulman, you can't post images or links in your first post, an anti-spam measure. You'll be ok from now on.

Schulman wrote:
I have Fotodiox Pro Konica to EOS. When shooting with Hexanon 85mm 1.8 wide open images are really soft and hazy.

When stopped down to f/2.8, glow starts to disappear and by f/4 it is practically gone. Is this normal? Anyone else having the same problem?

The lens is near mint and clear (no haze or fungus). When I use it in my Fuji XT-2 (with different adapter of course), it is tack sharp from wide open.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fotodiox Pro Konica to EOS adapter probplem Reply with quote

Schulman wrote:

The adapter you refer to has an optical element in it. This to compensate for differences in lens mount to film distance (AKA register, or flange focal distance FFD) between Konica AR and Canon EF, so you can focus to infinity with your Konica lenses on a Canon EF mount camera. This element is the cause of the optical problems you see. The register of the Konica system is 40.5mm, Canon EF is 44.0mm, so any adapter between a Konica lens and Canon camera will act as an extension ring of at least 3.5mm. The optics in your adapter are a mild teleconverter of poor quality, allowing infinity focus at the cost of image quality. On you Fuji XT adapter no optics are needed and you get no quality loss.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understand how the different adapters work. But what wonders me is how much the behavior changes with different apertures. And if this is the quality of Fotodiox Pro, It is practically useless, except for some artistic purposes Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schulman wrote:
Yes, I understand how the different adapters work. But what wonders me is how much the behavior changes with different apertures. And if this is the quality of Fotodiox Pro, It is practically useless, except for some artistic purposes Wink

From your original question it seemed obvious that you didn't understand the limitations of the adapter. Anyway, the optics in all such adapters are rather small in diameter and don't work well when combined with large apertures. Stopped down you may get acceptable images. Alternatively you could try removing the optics and use the adapter as a short extension ring.

The only such adapter I know of with good image quality is the original Canon FD to Eos 1.26x teleconverter/adapter. That could only be used with a few lenses and is/was very expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Schulman

Those adapters with lens elements really degrade image iq, unfortunately.