Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete Collection of Canon FD L f/1.2 lenses!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Complete Collection of Canon FD L f/1.2 lenses! Reply with quote

It is with great pride and unmeasured joy that I can announce to be the owner of a complete collection of ALL f/1.2 lenses Canon ever made in their L series for FD mount!

Downsides: the 5o is visibly less sharp than the 85, and the 85 has boring bokeh.
Upsides: well, they're Canon Ls!

For those interested, Marco Cavina reports of the prototype 24/1.2 SSC AL: https://www-marcocavina-com.translate.goog/articoli_fotografici/canon_fd_24_1,2/00_pag.htm?_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp[/img]

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Cat Like 1 Friends Congrats

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, that's an awesome pair you've got there . nFD lenses scare me because of bearings issues, maybe not all of them suffer it
That's sad to hear the 50 is less sharp, how would you compare it to 1.4 FD version in case you have it?
85mm 1 .2 boring bokeh???? Really? I thought bokeh would be the reason to get such a lens , I'm very happy with the 1.8 version though

Last edited by kiddo on Sat May 13, 2023 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Congratulations, that's an awesome apir you've got there . nFD lenses scare me because of bearings issues, maybe not all of them suffer it
That's sad to hear the 50 is less sharp, how would you compare it to 1.4 FD version in case you have it?
85mm 1 .2 boring bokeh???? Really? I thought bokeh would be the reason to get such a lens , I'm very happiñy with the 1.8 version though

Some people call good bokeh 'boring' 😉.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
kiddo wrote:
Congratulations, that's an awesome apir you've got there . nFD lenses scare me because of bearings issues, maybe not all of them suffer it
85mm 1 .2 boring bokeh???? Really? I thought bokeh would be the reason to get such a lens , I'm very happiñy with the 1.8 version though

Some people call good bokeh 'boring' 😉.

I am among those quite often; my last purchase, the Summicron 50 collapsible, amazes me, but its bokeh is almost on the Helios side Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all!

I don't recall if it was a stock trader or a nuclear power plant attendant whom I read saying that a "good" day at their work was "boring" (and vice versa). the 85 is perfect, and therefore lacking character. if one enjoys that, the lens is absolutely great - sharp, modern, great balance, a joy. but in practice, I find myself reaching for the 5o/1.4 more often, which has so much more character.

The 5o/1.2 L is as sharp at 1.2 as the 5o/1.4 is at 1.4. still great, in other words, just behind the 85 - looking through the viewfinder, you notice the difference in direct succession, not more, not less. it's just surprising that there should be a gap at all (which incidentally is still there today, through the EF and RF versions!)
The L, even at identical apertures, shows more separation, though, and again more perfect-ish bokeh. I'd say another 1/2-1 stops (i.e. you'd have the 5o/1.4 wide-open and the L at f/2ish to get the same level of background blur).

The 5o/1.2 non-L, btw, is as sharp wide-open as the 5o/1.8 - just with a stop of difference in what "wide-open" means. I tested them during covid, and following that realisation, parted with the latter two. they're both very decent, but the others just shine.