Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 50mm f/0.95: Looking for Parts :-)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Canon 50mm f/0.95: Looking for Parts :-) Reply with quote

Howdy All,

If anyone has any of the mechanism for the Canon 50mm f/0.95 lens, my brother has this lens in what appears to be a TV format and would like to make it useable with his Canon DSLR EF mounts. Toss me a PM if you know where we can look or have anything to sell that could be useful and I'll put you in touch with him. Also, don't hesitate to post any info that would be useful in getting this lens restored. He has access to someone who can recoat the glass and I think he's got someone to rebuild it if he can get the missing parts. We're located in SoCal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that my photos might not show-up unless I put them in a reply, and sure enough, they didn't Rolling Eyes. Reposting the photos :- ). I think they will now show-up twice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll presume that the TV lens is optically built similarly to the rangefinder version, therefore, with the same flange distance. If it's not, please ignore my words and correct me.

You won't be able to use the lens on a DSLR and keep normal focusing distances. The mirror box will separate the lens from the sensor just like an extension tube. You'll be able to focus in macro distances, but not on an usable distance for a portrait, for example. You'll adapt it easily on a mirrorless camera, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up about the lens mounting. I'll pass that along to my brother. The best situation would be to locate someone with the "official" original Canon version of this lens but with damaged glass and wants to sell. At least my brother will be able to put together a working version to use with an old body that readily accepts that mount.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While finding a 50/.95 body would be the best option, you may never find one.
a temporary substitute would be prudent.
Some machining and assembly required... Assuming the back end isn't too big, what is the diameter?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-quality-M42-Lens-to-M39-L39-Adjustable-Focusing-Helicoid-mount-12-19mm/254323604995
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Bit-Code-Leica-M39-LTM-lens-to-M-Mount-L-M-Adapter-50-75-mm-M8-M9-M9P-M-240/351035558103

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_MB wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up about the lens mounting. I'll pass that along to my brother. The best situation would be to locate someone with the "official" original Canon version of this lens but with damaged glass and wants to sell. At least my brother will be able to put together a working version to use with an old body that readily accepts that mount.

This is not feasible. The TV and normal mounts are different, due to the need to have a rangefinder lever in the Canon 7 version. The last element is actually cut on one side to make room for it, but the element in the TV version is not so altered, so you couldn't even remount the elements of your brother's lens (which would anyway be a very expensive and difficult proposition.

You can much more easily mount the lens cell that you have in the appropriate diameter and length helicoid, which are available in all configurations on eBay. This would not be a very complex job, and you could fit the end of the helicoid with an M42 screw mount, which can easily be adapted to various mirrorless systems, or even Leica M, although there will be no meter coupling on the latter.

It is true that there is no way to mount that lens in any configuration on a DSLR. It has the same flange distance as LTM which is 28.8mm. Mirrorless or rangefinder are the only options.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd rather you began to learn from the knowledgeable people here, Dave,
as I've no experience with C-mount/CINE lenses.

As a CINE lens, it's not so much the 'Holy Grail' your brother may have thought it is.
It'll take quite a bit of customizing to have it working as a standard lens on a Canon DSLR,
and doing so may be prohibitive in cost and/or aptitude.

Your brother will likely have far better luck in adapting it to a mirrorless-camera system,
as has already been mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy All,

Well, it's not as bad a situation as I had posted Smile. I misspoke when I said he wanted to make it work with his DSLR. He actually wants to make it work with a mirrorless camera mount. I'm going to have him read these posts (and maybe even get him to create a login and post himself!) Thanks for the feedback and links to eBay.

See Ya, Dave

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rangefinder.ru/sale/showproduct.php/product/13089/cat/3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbHrKcKYsSE
http://lens-club.ru/lenses/item/c_4146.html
"The Canon 50mm f / 0.95 was produced under a 3-blade RF mount, onto which, right at the time of release, an “s mount adapter” was screwed on to mount it on a Canon 7 camera.

This Canon 50 mm f / 0.95 lens was mass-produced with a cropped rear lens segment. The rear lens did not have a completely round cross-section, but had a lateral groove-notch in the place of which an internal diaphragm pusher-rod passed.

This is the difference between the Canon 50mm f / 0.95 lens and the Canon TV 50mm f / 0.95 lens, which has a round rear lens without cutouts and a factory-mounted RF-C-mount adapter."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Sergey,

Thanks for the additional details.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_MB wrote:
Howdy All,

Well, it's not as bad a situation as I had posted Smile. I misspoke when I said he wanted to make it work with his DSLR. He actually wants to make it work with a mirrorless camera mount. I'm going to have him read these posts (and maybe even get him to create a login and post himself!) Thanks for the feedback and links to eBay.

See Ya, Dave

Would he sell this lens part?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azouein1 wrote:
Dave_MB wrote:
Howdy All,

See Ya, Dave

Would he sell this lens part?

Howdy Azouein,

The good news is that my brother was able to get lined-up with a guy somewhere in Europe who made a beautiful lens mount for the lens. My brother had the lens surface restored to fantastic performance and ended-up selling the whole package for a tidy sum a year or so ago Smile.

See Ya, Dave

Last edited by Dave_MB on Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very interesting. I have the same one.

Friends