Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Corfield England APO-Lumar 50mm F3.5 on A7R II Part I
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Corfield England APO-Lumar 50mm F3.5 on A7R II Part I Reply with quote

The lens:

This lens is one of the rare lens from Corfield. It is probably one of the earliest post-war enlarger with 'APO' designation although it is only a triplet. Wink

Click to enlarge:

P.S. The hood I used is a bit too long for this lens and the adapter seems not perfectly aligned. Part II will follow when I get better photos after I fix the two issues.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far. I see no CA along the ridges . How about you at 100%?
What mount is?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be too harsh to pixel peep to check the CA for a triplet... I would say the CA is not quiet visible even under harsh condition.

The mount is M39.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite good to me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 wow what a rare lens!

(I honestly doubt that 6 lens surfaces are enough to allow for an apochromatic correction...
but it looks surprisingly well!!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the lens may well be apochromatic, or damn close to it, certainly closer than many modern lenses marked APO.

I say this because Voigtlander recalculated their lenses after WW2 to use the then new Lanthanum glass - the Skopar became the Color-Skopar and it is damn close to being apochromatic, they also made triplets with Lanthanum, they had various names such as Color-Lanthar.

This Corfield is made by Enna, and I bet it, like the Voigtlanders, uses a Lanthanum glass element, so it may well, like the Voigtlanders, be close to apochromatic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss indicates 3 groups is sufficient. http://lenspire.zeiss.com/en/apochromat/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are a lot of older process lenses that are fully apochromatic but have simple 3 or 4 group designs - most are either 4e/3g Tessar/Xenar/Skopar types or 4e/4g Dialytes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried Color-Lanthar in DKL too. The Color-Lanthar, which is also a triplet, hardly show any CA under back lit or high contrast scene. It is better than this lens for general photography.

Here is the 100% crop as requested. Do you agree it is a APO lens? Wink

100% crop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it is APO, yes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact it is possible to make an APO lens with just 3 optical surfaces! Some examples here:

http://www.telescope-optics.net/semiapo_and_apo_examples.htm

The problem is that with only 3 optical surfaces it is not possible to properly correct the monochromatic aberrations (spherical, coma and astigmatism) for the apertures and angular coverage of a typical photography lens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
In fact it is possible to make an APO lens with just 3 optical surfaces! Some examples here:

The problem is that with only 3 optical surfaces it is not possible to properly correct the monochromatic aberrations (spherical, coma and astigmatism) for the apertures and angular coverage of a typical photography lens.

Like 1 Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:

6 optical surfaces...

I think Dr Schmidt is thinking about IR&UV.

Thanks Gerald for the highly technical reference!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's what I meant of course, an APO which not only corrects CA, but also the other aberrations to make it a suitable photographic lens ... sighh

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These early Corfield lenses were not made by Enna but are all British by the Birmingham Optical Company [BOLCO] who partly financed Corfield .

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images - is this an enlarger lens?

P.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Nice images - is this an enlarger lens?

P.

Yes it is, They(Enlarger Lenses) are typically written such that the front element is at the bottom of the lettering, because when mounted in an enlarger.... You can read it without standing on your head. I.e. It's printed from the observers position, which is why most camera lenses have their writing readable from behind the camera.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is, They(Enlarger Lenses) are typically written such that the front element is at the bottom of the lettering, because when mounted in an enlarger.... You can read it without standing on your head. I.e. It's printed from the observers position, which is why most camera lenses have their writing readable from behind the camera.[/quote]

Good tip - and a good example of ergonomic design. I never really noticed it before - just like i just recently found out about the little arrow on the fuel gage in cars that points to the side of the vehicle where the gas fill is located!

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I have tried Color-Lanthar in DKL too. The Color-Lanthar, which is also a triplet, hardly show any CA under back lit or high contrast scene. It is better than this lens for general photography.

Here is the 100% crop as requested. Do you agree it is a APO lens? Wink

100% crop

I sure like to write that it is an APO lens given I have some Color Skopar's that are close to that too. But your choice for a magenta/green subject is a risky one for an objective judgement Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been curious about this lens for a while. I love triplets and while this one probably won't be among the sharpest ones wide open, the rendering is quite nice (as is often the case with lenses made in England from a certain era):

All of those are wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Friends Congrats

Good to know you got one too!