Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC Rokkor-X PG 50 mm f/ 1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Minolta MC Rokkor-X PG 50 mm f/ 1.4 Reply with quote

Hi,
these two lenses are optically identical, correct?

- Minolta MC Rokkor-X PG 50 mm f/ 1.4 https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1879.html
- Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 50mm f/1.4 : https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1419.html

I have read that the -X is just the export version.

Thank you.

Cheers.
[/list]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokkor-X lenses were for the US market, used so the US importer could distinguish between what they had imported and sold, and what people had bought cheaper overseas or imported via other methods. Yashica adopted a similar naming scheme with their YUS branded lenses, which I believe were separate from their DSB branded economy range from 3rd party manufacturers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, optically identical. As far as I am aware, the ROKKOR-X lenses were only marketed in the USA, and the only difference is the orange "ROKKOR-X" vs. the usual white "ROKKOR" engraving on the name ring.

By now ROKKOR-X lenses have found their way all over the world thanks to the active used market.

I assume that the "-X" suffix was chosen as these lenses pretty much appeared simultaneously with the first Minolta X-series SLRs.

The "ROKKOR-X" designation for the North American market was dropped together with the "ROKKOR" designation for other markets with the introduction of the plain "MD" designated lenses (MD-III classification for collectors).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Yes, optically identical. As far as I am aware, the ROKKOR-X lenses were only marketed in the USA, and the only difference is the orange "ROKKOR-X" vs. the usual white "ROKKOR" engraving on the name ring.

By now ROKKOR-X lenses have found their way all over the world thanks to the active used market.

I assume that the "-X" suffix was chosen as these lenses pretty much appeared simultaneously with the first Minolta X-series SLRs.

The "ROKKOR-X" designation for the North American market was dropped together with the "ROKKOR" designation for other markets with the introduction of the plain "MD" designated lenses (MD-III classification for collectors).

And its equivalent called "Maxxum" was re-instated when they introduced the AF system in 1985