Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodagon 50mm 2.8 as a walk around lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Rodagon 50mm 2.8 as a walk around lens Reply with quote

This is a 6 element enlarger lens from Rodenstock. The non APO version. Very sharp close up as intended. But focus at long distance produce some glow at 2.8. Stopping takes care of that. Usable as a general purpose lens. An odd feature is a switch that let you almost disengage the click stops. The aperture ring can also be lifted and turned to limit the aperture like, almost like a preset lens. For the price of 20 EUR it was a good buy.

Optical construction found on this page: http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/enlarging_en.html

Camera: Sony a7.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small works darn well!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it single or multi coated?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not found any information on the coating. But MC would be my guess.

Here is a cropped example of wide open glow that I forgot to add.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for enlarger lenses as general purpose/walk around lenses (nice images btw). I have the Apo version of the same lens, and it's ridiculously sharp. At f/4, it causes moire on my A7R (lacking an AA filter), if the subject has fine details. Case in point; the tool marks left from the lathe (or whichever machine was used) on this lens mount:

Apo-Rodagon N 50/2.8 test shot @ f/4 by scepticswe, on Flickr

At 100%, notice the green/magenta pattern around the screw:

Detail of Apo-Rodagon N 50/2.8 test shot by scepticswe, on Flickr

A few other examples:

No 41 by scepticswe, on Flickr

Solo by scepticswe, on Flickr

Whitewater by scepticswe, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice. What are you using as helicoid to focus? I am especially curious as I have both of the above lenses sitting in a drawer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehemm sceptic, not your Apo Rodagon causes fringes, your sensor does. THat lens is just too good...
Just to put it into the right persepective and to be fair against that great lens. I have the 105mm
Apo Rodagon and it's a wonderful tack sharp lens... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Rodenstock Magnagon 5.6/75, which is an industrial fixed aperture version of the APO-Rodagon-D and it's a stunning lens, one of the sharpest I have used and I've never seen any colour fringing. I should use it more often.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
ehemm sceptic, not your Apo Rodagon causes fringes, your sensor does. THat lens is just too good...
Just to put it into the right persepective and to be fair against that great lens. I have the 105mm
Apo Rodagon and it's a wonderful tack sharp lens... Wink

Yes Klaus, quite correct; the moire is caused by the sensor. My point was that the lens is so sharp that it "permits" the moire (a less sharp lens "hides" the sensor's lack of an AA filter by not presenting it with fine enough details).

The moire is, in this case, something positive in that it demonstrates the lens sharpness.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
+1 for enlarger lenses as general purpose/walk around lenses (nice images btw). I have the Apo version of the same lens, and it's ridiculously sharp. At f/4, it causes moire on my A7R (lacking an AA filter), if the subject has fine details. Case in point; the tool marks left from the lathe (or whichever machine was used) on this lens mount:

That's very sharp indeed!

folderholder wrote:
Looks very nice. What are you using as helicoid to focus? I am especially curious as I have both of the above lenses sitting in a drawer.

I got one of these m42-nex helicoid adapters. And a m39-m42 adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

folderholder wrote:

I use a simple M42 to Sony E mount helicoid adapter (with a M39-M42 ring screwed on to the M39 threads of the lens). The lens seems to have a flange focal distance similar to that of normal M42 lenses, which means I reach infinity focus at the helicoid's shortest setting (or just before that, but not by much). As a sidenote; other enlarger lenses (such as the El-Nikkor 50/2.8N) have a shorter FFD and require shorter helicoids, so all 50 mm enlargers don't behave the same.
Here's a picture of my lens+adapter/helicoid:

Apo-Rodagon N 50/2.8 by scepticswe, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one, and only may conclude basing on sample shots shared by other forum members. Is it right to say that among many enlarger lenses used for outdoor shooting, Rodagons seem to skip that specific surgical "plateness" of the image? They seem to render closest to "normal" double Gauss, bokeh included, but with an added value of excellent sharpness and saturation all over the field.

Did some of you make a comparison of enlarger lenses you dispose shooting the same outdoor scene?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
I don't have one, and only may conclude basing on sample shots shared by other forum members. Is it right to say that among many enlarger lenses used for outdoor shooting, Rodagons seem to skip that specific surgical "plateness" of the image? They seem to render closest to "normal" double Gauss, bokeh included, but with an added value of excellent sharpness and saturation all over the field.

Did some of you make a comparison of enlarger lenses you dispose shooting the same outdoor scene?

I don't know what plateness is. But I have a few more enlarger lenses. Another one that is good is the EL Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 N. The only bad thing is that the aperture can't be fully opened. I want to modify one to do that but it's such a silly idea...

There is a big test on flickr. I'll see if I can find it. I'll may be able to do such a test myself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biotafton,

Thank you for sharing your photos and technique. I am looking forward to trying this as well. I am especially interested in focusing to infinity on a Lumix 4/3 body.

Helicoid adapters have different ranges of extension. What is the minimum distance of extension that allows yours have to achieve focus at infinity?

Thank you, J

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
alex ph wrote:

I don't know what plateness is. But I have a few more enlarger lenses. Another one that is good is the EL Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 N. The only bad thing is that the aperture can't be fully opened. I want to modify one to do that but it's such a silly idea...

There is a big test on flickr. I'll see if I can find it. I'll may be able to do such a test myself.

It was Matt's crazy lens adventure that made the test.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/59224964@N05/14319524959/in/photostream/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmkmva wrote:
Biotafton,

Thank you for sharing your photos and technique. I am looking forward to trying this as well. I am especially interested in focusing to infinity on a Lumix 4/3 body.

Helicoid adapters have different ranges of extension. What is the minimum distance of extension that allows yours have to achieve focus at infinity?

Thank you, J

I can't find the adapters now but it's either a 12-17mm or 17-31mm. Also a m42-Sony e-mount 1mm thin adapter and a m42-m39 adapter for the lens.
I don't know if there is a similar thin adapter for m4/3.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frequently use enlarger lenses as taking lenses. Here is a shot from Saturday with the Apo- Rodagon D 75 f4 at about F8 IIRC.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton

Thank you. J

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmkmva wrote:
Biotafton,

Thank you, J

to reach infinity Use thinnest helicoid adapter you can get. I used mine from yeenon + m38-m4/3 adapter, if it's over infinity, you can add thinest extension tube
here's the I use for elmar 50/3,5 enlarger lens, should be same with rodagon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA

THANKS, J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blotafton, thank you for the link to the flickr comparison. It gives curious results. Aside a couple of "low scale" lenses, I do not see a shoking difference.

Well, in part it's the question of the f8 aperture. Like with other lenses, enlarger ones should also tend to similar results with closed diaphragms.

That could aslo be an effect of mid-far distance that does not show so much of difference, especially in bokeh department. Even though, looking in the right low corner where some grass is taken with front bokeh more difference is seen, in termes of CA and colour saturation. Schneiders and Fujis have more punchy front bokeh. While for example the highly praised Komura gives much of CA in this wone while rendering perfectly sharp and punchy in focus.

If you have a curiosity and opportunity to test some of your lenses in a series, that will be really interesting, as you seem to have a nicely attentive eye to some especially important, IQ related details.

Jamaeolus, congratulations for such a beautiful shot. I assume the way the lens' crispness adds to its esthetic icy red knock-out. Have the same great experience in the winter coming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alex
I have several APO enlarger lenses. Schneider APO Componon HM: The 40 f2.8, 45mm f4 60mm f4, and a barrel lens 90mm f4.5 and the rodenstock above. I also have EL-Nikkor which I have heard are apo corrected though I can't say for certain. I have the 63mm f4, 50mm 2.8. probably others I can't think of right now. I have a bunch of other enlarger lenses, Schneider componon, and componon S Fuji, Hoya, Freidrich, Elgeet, Minolta, Tomioka, Schacht, vivitar, beslar some other rodenstocks and a few weird ones as well. I am planning to sell a bunch of lenses to target one of the legendary prinitng nikkors. But right now I have to sell a bunch of stuff to get a new tablet. I lost my samsung 9 inch (fell off top of car I think, kinda stupid of me) that I had had for several years. I want to get the new 12.4. Even on the old tablet the ARW files looked way better than the JPG's I see on my run of the mill Dell and Acer monitors at home or work PC's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new shots in the forest with the Sony a7:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More! See if you can identify the items. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use enlarger lenses on bellows for macro work, until I realised their sharpness was great for landscape.

Sharp enough to shave with.