Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodagon 50mm 2.8 as a walk around lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Rodagon 50mm 2.8 as a walk around lens Reply with quote

This is a 6 element enlarger lens from Rodenstock. The non APO version. Very sharp close up as intended. But focus at long distance produce some glow at 2.8. Stopping takes care of that. Usable as a general purpose lens. An odd feature is a switch that let you almost disengage the click stops. The aperture ring can also be lifted and turned to limit the aperture like, almost like a preset lens. For the price of 20 EUR it was a good buy.

Optical construction found on this page: http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/enlarging_en.html

Camera: Sony a7.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small works darn well!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it single or multi coated?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not found any information on the coating. But MC would be my guess.

Here is a cropped example of wide open glow that I forgot to add.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for enlarger lenses as general purpose/walk around lenses (nice images btw). I have the Apo version of the same lens, and it's ridiculously sharp. At f/4, it causes moire on my A7R (lacking an AA filter), if the subject has fine details. Case in point; the tool marks left from the lathe (or whichever machine was used) on this lens mount:

Apo-Rodagon N 50/2.8 test shot @ f/4 by scepticswe, on Flickr

At 100%, notice the green/magenta pattern around the screw:

Detail of Apo-Rodagon N 50/2.8 test shot by scepticswe, on Flickr

A few other examples:

No 41 by scepticswe, on Flickr

Solo by scepticswe, on Flickr

Whitewater by scepticswe, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice. What are you using as helicoid to focus? I am especially curious as I have both of the above lenses sitting in a drawer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehemm sceptic, not your Apo Rodagon causes fringes, your sensor does. THat lens is just too good...
Just to put it into the right persepective and to be fair against that great lens. I have the 105mm
Apo Rodagon and it's a wonderful tack sharp lens... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Rodenstock Magnagon 5.6/75, which is an industrial fixed aperture version of the APO-Rodagon-D and it's a stunning lens, one of the sharpest I have used and I've never seen any colour fringing. I should use it more often.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
ehemm sceptic, not your Apo Rodagon causes fringes, your sensor does. THat lens is just too good...
Just to put it into the right persepective and to be fair against that great lens. I have the 105mm
Apo Rodagon and it's a wonderful tack sharp lens... Wink

Yes Klaus, quite correct; the moire is caused by the sensor. My point was that the lens is so sharp that it "permits" the moire (a less sharp lens "hides" the sensor's lack of an AA filter by not presenting it with fine enough details).

The moire is, in this case, something positive in that it demonstrates the lens sharpness.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
+1 for enlarger lenses as general purpose/walk around lenses (nice images btw). I have the Apo version of the same lens, and it's ridiculously sharp. At f/4, it causes moire on my A7R (lacking an AA filter), if the subject has fine details. Case in point; the tool marks left from the lathe (or whichever machine was used) on this lens mount:

That's very sharp indeed!

folderholder wrote:
Looks very nice. What are you using as helicoid to focus? I am especially curious as I have both of the above lenses sitting in a drawer.

I got one of these m42-nex helicoid adapters. And a m39-m42 adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

folderholder wrote:

I use a simple M42 to Sony E mount helicoid adapter (with a M39-M42 ring screwed on to the M39 threads of the lens). The lens seems to have a flange focal distance similar to that of normal M42 lenses, which means I reach infinity focus at the helicoid's shortest setting (or just before that, but not by much). As a sidenote; other enlarger lenses (such as the El-Nikkor 50/2.8N) have a shorter FFD and require shorter helicoids, so all 50 mm enlargers don't behave the same.
Here's a picture of my lens+adapter/helicoid:

Apo-Rodagon N 50/2.8 by scepticswe, on Flickr