Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EXIF info with paper, pen or any others?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: EXIF info with paper, pen or any others? Reply with quote

I have a question to all MF lenses fans.
As we know MF lens info can not be stored in EXIF file (lens type, shutter speed, aperture...)
How eaach of you make these notes?

For example, I mount a new lens, then write on a sheet of paper lens parameters and photograph this sheet first, then go on Photosession.
But very often forget to do that;)

Maybe exists some handy tips that I do not know?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I change a lens I make double shoots from ground, usually I try 3-4 lens one time, when I got home I do remember for lens order and rename files by camera and lens name. To wide open aperture shoots if not obvious I use delete lock on camera made these shoots to read only. Other aperture settings is usually not interest to me. If really need to log all info I use voice recording in my phone.
I did wrote windows CE application what able to log all info,but makes me unhappy if I have to log all info manually either on paper or in phone or PDA, so I did forget it. Another useful trick shoot previous lens with new lens instead of double shoots from floor and lens changing info is recorded well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The order of test shots does matter.
Different scenes, each with different apertures, start from wide open.
one lens per day/week.

A kind of borring procedure, but helps to map the properties of a lens.
During upload to computer, add exif/text data like lens focal, f-stop. speed always there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most I can remember lens order. If lenses are near same FL, and cannot see difference from photos, I make a sky photo between lens changes.

After download, I tag images with lens name. I can search all images by lens name. Usually I can see which were wide open. EXIF I don't change.

When comparing lenses I make sequences of photos at each f/#, with each lens, separate lenses photos by a sky photo -- no need to write f/# because position in sequence gives f/# of photo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
When I change a lens I make double shoots from ground

Same here Very Happy I wonder if my cameras will wear out quicker as a result? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Attila wrote:
When I change a lens I make double shoots from ground

Same here Very Happy I wonder if my cameras will wear out quicker as a result? Laughing

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, I just remember. Some of you may need some oily fish. Laughing

You can always work it out from the shutter speed; fastest one is wide open and calculate the rest from there. I don't like over-engineering.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've started to take a picture of the lens that i'm about to use so that i know the following pictures i make were from that lens.

the order of pictures on the memory card, for example:

DSC03346 by nes☆, on Flickr

then, i start to use the lens to make pictures:

DSC03266 by nes☆, on Flickr

i don't have a system yet to determine what aperture a picture was shot at, but i can at least determine when i'm shooting wide open by looking at the shape of the bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Erm, I just remember. Some of you may need some oily fish. Laughing

You can always work it out from the shutter speed; fastest one is wide open and calculate the rest from there. I don't like over-engineering.

You'd run out of fish in no time Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first attempt at organizing, With the 1DIII I can create folders before I go out ex. 105om5512, 106st2835.
The hard part was finding an easy way to keep the images organized by date with all my other shots...
So far, the simplest way to note what lens I'm using is the audio note function on my 1DIII.
Take a picture, review it, add an audio note "Super-tak 85", for more detailed notes, I can do it for each shot.

I've yet to find a simple way to add lens info to the raw file, tagging in LR(yet to do it) seems like it could work.

Something I just thought of, pre-make some jpg's with the names of your lenses, ex. Super-Tak 50/1.4, Nikkor 55/1.2...
You can add f-stop's if you need them too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number#Standard_full-stop_f-number_scale

Nikkor-S.C 55mm/ f1.2
1.2_____1.4_____2_____2.8_____4_____5.6 _____8_____11 _____16

Load the jpg's into your phone, mount your lens, recall the proper jpg(and point to f-stop if needed), take a picture of the phone.

Last edited by Lightshow on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Erm, I just remember.

Impressive. I do remember the day when I could do that. Today I'm having problems and was thinking of starting this post myself. I've always relied on my memory, but I keep forgetting that I have a bad memory, so when I get to uploading to my PC for processing, I have to figure it all out. Then I started to do what some others have mentioned; take bad picture of nothing as a separation. I was sure I would remember the lens order, but again my failing memory let me down. I had to examine the pictures to see if I could tell the focal length, then I'd look at the time stamp and could sometimes tell by lengths of time taken to change a lens. I don't recommend these last methods. Most recently I started to take pictures of the lens I was about to use. That is where I am now. I am not doing many lens tests, preferring to concentrate on photography instead of photography tools. I am also not burdening myself with concern for recording apertures used. Focus now is on image, not data.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do the same.
Take 1-2 ground shots between lenses.
Take a note via my cellphone (lens X - starting file number), sometimes also f number if I do a comparison shots.
Sometimes I just count on my memory Smile
And add lens ID on the file name after downloading. And some photos are moved to specific lens' folder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you, guys!
I am also preferring to concentrate on photography instead of photography tools, but this forum requires me to know when, how and with what tools do I photographed Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Apologizes to revive old topic.

I would like to UPDATE this, since I was able to find a way to transfer (legacy lens) EXIF information while shooting (raw or jpg)... Any image software (exif 2.3 compliant) would read that exif data (LENS NAME, F/STOP, FOCAL, ..) in the same way as modern/native lenses can!

The procedure is for Sony cameras only.. The camera model MUST support play memories apps too... Furthermore, some models do not support exif write directly to image files (old models) , so a TEXTFILE in sdcard is used to receive that exif data plus image filename and data-time of photo...
The first situation is prefered but depend on models, the later works like "pen and paper" but without the hassles of using them Wink

If someone interested, please let me know your model and dials configuration > HERE < to put all models together into one package that will share with the community...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in the habit for a long time of writing notes for Medium Format and LF and larger when shooting film.
If I am using 35mm I tend to stick to just one lens for the shoot and record it, but the exposure data I generally forget.
Using manual lenses on Nikon DSLR's allows the identification of lens focal length and max aperture in the camera so that exif data is stored. Probably other DSLR's do likewise.
Here is my current notebook
Tom

Last edited by Oldhand on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dslr adapters have programmable chips. Some of them. I've used my little dictation device too, speaking info.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rely on strictly supernatural methods.
I cannot, unfortunately, reveal my mystic secrets.

Oh, all right, I will.

A useful feature of Pentax cameras, due to built in IF, is that one can select a focal length when starting the camera. This shows up in EXIF.

Shutter speed is recorded also, but not aperture. For that I rely on my memory, such as it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I rely on strictly supernatural methods.
I cannot, unfortunately, reveal my mystic secrets.

Oh, all right, I will.

A useful feature of Pentax cameras, due to built in IF, is that one can select a focal length when starting the camera. This shows up in EXIF.

Shutter speed is recorded also, but not aperture. For that I rely on my memory, such as it is.

The Nikon records the shutter speed and relies on the correct input of the data on the non-CPU lens to establish the aperture.
Once the maximum aperture is entered, the camera will determine every other aperture value based on the movement of the indexing lever at the front - on those models which have it.
So with many Nikon DSLR's the focal length, aperture and shutter speed are recorded in EXIF when using an MF lens
T

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cams have the option to add a sound file to an image.

On my GXR, I can rename the mode I am shooting in, and this will show as exif-data.

On my Fuji, I can set the focal length in the menu, and this will show in exif data.

But in general, I forget to use these options Laughing
In the end, it matters more to me whether I like the handling and character of a lens, not whether all numbers are correct in my Exif (which I rarely analyse anyway)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
On my GXR, I can rename the mode I am shooting in, and this will show as exif-data.

The Ricoh GXR-M has the most comprehensive method to store exif-data for manual focus lenses I have ever seen:

Up to 6 lens profiles can be stored in the camera (additionally ones on the CF card, if needed) and linked to the 3 individual exposure modes. So besides the actual lens name, focus length and aperture you can even predefine per lens profile at which ISO, WB-mode, color- or metering mode, etc. you want to shoot and everything besides the actual used aperture value is finally shown in the exíf data of every picture (F1 is shown as exposure value). When changing the lens you then just have to switch the big main switch betw. MY1, MY2 and MY3.

For me that's fair enough as I normally don't take more than 3 different lenses for any outdoor session with me and then I just have to remember which lens is no.1, 2 or 3. There is not even the need to open the camera menu for the lens change process.

The Ricoh development team did a lot of brain work as to how to cope with the situation when one is using old lenses on a modern digital camera. That makes the difference to most of the other cameras which have been developed for modern electronically supported AF lenses.

One more reason why I like this camera so much for my old MF lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

The Ricoh GXR-M has the most comprehensive method to store exif-data for manual focus lenses I have ever seen:
It's also the only system I am aware of that is specifically designed to use with adapted glass; in most other mirrorless-cams, the options seem more like an afterthought. I'm waiting for better weather so I can use my GXR more. For available-light-indoors&macro-stuff, the LCD holds it back unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I have been in the habit for a long time of writing notes for Medium Format and LF and larger when shooting film.
If I am using 35mm I tend to stick to just one lens for the shoot and record it, but the exposure data I generally forget.
Using manual lenses on Nikon DSLR's allows the identification of lens focal length and max aperture in the camera so that exif data is stored. Probably other DSLR's do likewise.
Here is my current notebook
Tom

Years ago I bought a whole Pentax kit, a couple of cameras and a bunch of lenses and all the usual stuff. In the bottom of one bag there was four notebooks, three full and one nearly full of meticulous detail of every shot, every film from over 25 years and most of Europe. I've still got them somewhere, it's a shame they were separated from the pictures and slides.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
tb_a wrote:

It's also the only system I am aware of that is specifically designed to use with adapted glass; in most other mirrorless-cams, the options seem more like an afterthought. I'm waiting for better weather so I can use my GXR more. For available-light-indoors&macro-stuff, the LCD holds it back unfortunately.

I totally agree about Ricoh...

Other like Pentax, Fuji and Nikon also had some minor concerns regarding adapted glass.
On the other side, being a Canon user, I can only rely on smart adapters to transfer some exif info (fixed focal length and max f/stop)... Even with many years of "magic lantern" with truly amazing features, the subject exif for adapted never raised to my disappointment...

I tend to organize my photos into one folder per year: let say I must have from +4k to 6k photos in average and then 95% were taken with legacy glass. Despite some notes and remembering what lens was used in some shots, it is really hard to keep track the most…
When I wrote some notes, I used to play with an exif editor to permanently write some exif tags, such lens name, focal and max aperture to files. Besides time consuming, some times I was even not able to write exif data to files… when succeed it is realy neat to load year’s folder to Adobe Bridge and the select one adapted lens and see all photos displayed…

I really wished camera developers could implement it to User Interface into a simple way to enhance user experience with adapted glass:
1) Check lens… “no native lens attached” -> ask USER if :
2) “using adapted lens” : a) Yes b) No , c) “do not ask again”
3) If YES: -> ask for a “particular profile” that was indo like “lens name”, “focal” and max aperture
4) Display F-stop from max aperture and allow to change it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm doing a shoot where I know I'll be using several lenses, I'll bring along a steno pad and I'll record the lens and exposure data in my steno pad. Nothing particularly elegant about it, but it works just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if any millennials know what is a steno pad? Laughing