Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-O 55mm F1.2 CRT: how to focus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Nikkor-O 55mm F1.2 CRT: how to focus? Reply with quote

Hi,
this lens is said to have a bokeh on steroids.
However it comes in M39 mount without a focusing helicoid. So a couple of questions:
- what is its default focus distance?
- how to get it focusing to a different distances?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these helicoid adapters with the appropriate mount should do the trick. Hold a piece of paper or something behind the lens and note the distance, then get a helicoid adapter that will let you go from infinity to as close as you need.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a rather short helicoid, otherwise you're limited to closeup only.
The results might be worth it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157667385142689
(this is a nearly identical lens...]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor-O 55mm F1.2 CRT: how to focus? Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,
this lens is said to have a bokeh on steroids.
However it comes in M39 mount without a focusing helicoid. So a couple of questions:
- what is its default focus distance?
- how to get it focusing to a different distances?

Thanks.

Answers
-Depends on the camera and it's registration, and how you adapt it.
-Helicoid or bellows.

So it depends on your camera, A DSLR will be near macro, a mirrorless may reach a few feet or more(I've never used one, so I couldn't say exactly or even within a ballpark), you'll quickly find out what what you'll end up with for focus range by a quick free-lens test, this is where mirrorless destroys DSLR's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When choosing a helicoid for this lens, be aware of the internal diameter of the helicoid. Some of my m42 extension rings have an internal diameter that is too narrow to allow the long m39 thread of the Nikkor to be threaded into it deep enough. A combination that does work nicely is Nikkor-O - m39-m42 ring - Pentax m42 helicoid (AKA variable close up ring) - flat m42 to Sony E adapter (jinfinance). This allows infinity focus on my Sony A7.