Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Reach no more
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reach no more Reply with quote

Reach no more

This was taken with my Minolta Dynax 7 using my Minolta 28mm f2.8 on Ilford PanF 50, stand developed in Rodinal and scanned on my Epson 4990

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, their days of twistingly following the sun appear done.

The trunks are really nicely picked out Hood Like 1 small .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich detail! I like grain too. Not possible in digital?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Rich detail! I like grain too. Not possible in digital?

Quite easily. In Silver Efex Pro (available free of charge) you can even select the preset film type like Ilford HP400 or Kodak T-Max 3200, etc. and convert every digital color picture into an ancient looking film one.

This one converted with the Kodak preset:

That's the original for comparison:

BTW, also shot autofocus with Sony A850 and Tamron SP macro AF 90mm/F2.8 fully open, to stay almost on topic. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even close imho.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Not even close imho.

No wonder, the original picture from the OP was on Ilford PANF 50 which is a high resolution film and does hardly show any visible grain if developed according Ilford specs and I took the most grainy preset of the Kodak 3200 film which I wouldn't use anyway when shooting film. Wink

However, you can download the program and play around yourself: http://www.google.com/nikcollection/

I find it very useful and particularly for B&W conversions it's certainly still one of the best available for the time being.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Not even close imho.

No wonder, the original picture from the OP was on Ilford PANF 50 which is a high resolution film and does hardly show any visible grain if developed according Ilford specs and I took the most grainy preset of the Kodak 3200 film which I wouldn't use anyway when shooting film. Wink

However, you can download the program and play around yourself: http://www.google.com/nikcollection/

I find it very useful and particularly for B&W conversions it's certainly still one of the best available for the time being.

Thanks Thomas! I'll definitely try some of those softwares.

Yes, incredible details from the film.

Maybe nobody can discern the difference between film results and pp of digital, between analog and digital. Digital simulation works imho because the presentation remains quite crude. Some eyes would distinguish individual rgb colors rather than the combination which occurs in the brain.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reach no more Reply with quote

Hood wrote:
Reach no more

This was taken with my Minolta Dynax 7 using my Minolta 28mm f2.8 on Ilford PanF 50, stand developed in Rodinal and scanned on my Epson 4990

Nice one, well done!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

Somehow often I end up doing the B&W in Lightzone, and then use Analog Efex (from the same software package) to add some vintage smells to the pic.

Not implying your approach is wrong BTW Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

I agree you can do B&W conversions of digital, but in my personal opinion nothing really comes close to the look of true silver jelly. Or even c41 for that matter. I love digital, I shoot it too, but I also love the look and unique character only film can give... Plus I love the whole process. Shooting without any reviewing, finishing a roll and cracking the cannister open in your dark bag, loading it into your dev tank, working out your dev times, inversions etc. Then pulling out your roll after final rinse and just seeing all those lovely frames. Smile

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment guys.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood wrote:
Cheers guys.

I agree you can do B&W conversions of digital, but in my personal opinion nothing really comes close to the look of true silver jelly. Or even c41 for that matter. I love digital, I shoot it too, but I also love the look and unique character only film can give... Plus I love the whole process. Shooting without any reviewing, finishing a roll and cracking the cannister open in your dark bag, loading it into your dev tank, working out your dev times, inversions etc. Then pulling out your roll after final rinse and just seeing all those lovely frames. Smile

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment guys.

Did you do any particular work to produce that sky, Hood? It's wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood wrote:
I agree you can do B&W conversions of digital, but in my personal opinion nothing really comes close to the look of true silver jelly. Or even c41 for that matter. I love digital, I shoot it too, but I also love the look and unique character only film can give... Plus I love the whole process. Shooting without any reviewing, finishing a roll and cracking the cannister open in your dark bag, loading it into your dev tank, working out your dev times, inversions etc. Then pulling out your roll after final rinse and just seeing all those lovely frames.

I really appreciate your analog work and I know exactly what you are talking about. Having done really a lot of these in the pre-digital era myself and also the analog enlarging exercises.
I still have all the necessary equipment and even a lot of B&W film rolls in 120 and 135 (most probably already slightly outdated Wink ).
Though I'm planning to reactivate my analog activities, particularly with medium format cameras, my laziness still wins.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:

Did you do any particular work to produce that sky, Hood? It's wonderful.

Not in particular, I applied some curves from memory to get the scan to look right, but that is about it. To be honest I still would like a bit more contrast in the sky (ie. darker sky colour compared to clouds) so I have now been starting to experiement with some filters on some rolls(as well as some other emulsions) I am currently shooting. I am keen to see how this experimentation progresses.

tb_a wrote:
I really appreciate your analog work and I know exactly what you are talking about. Having done really a lot of these in the pre-digital era myself and also the analog enlarging exercises.
I still have all the necessary equipment and even a lot of B&W film rolls in 120 and 135 (most probably already slightly outdated Wink ).
Though I'm planning to reactivate my analog activities, particularly with medium format cameras, my laziness still wins.....

It's nice to get out and shoot and dev. some film again. I feel the practice improves your digital photography as well.
I have a few friends with darkrooms and I am keen to try printing some of these negatives when I have time to catch up with them. I did have plans to build my own darkroom and had acquired all the gear, enlargers masking board etc. etc. but when we had our son, the Mrs made me sell a lot of my gear. haha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.