Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 "Bright Band" lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 "Bright Band" lens Reply with quote

Just arrived and in Pristine condition. From the period just before Vivitar started with the serial number code we are most familiar with. Here they used the focal length as the prefix of the serial number code. This lens starts with a 200 number. My Chrome Nose lenses use the same code. I have 2 more 200mm lens on their way to me and then I'll take a few days and do a shoot-out with them for comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Viv Ser1 200/3.5 AF - the focusing was done with a battery driven motor built-in to the lens. This makes for a strange shape. Mine has a blown motor, but works fine as MF. It is also one of the sharpest 200's I have (and I have a couple of good ones).

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I have the Viv Ser1 200/3.5 AF - the focusing was done with a battery driven motor built-in to the lens. This makes for a strange shape. Mine has a blown motor, but works fine as MF. It is also one of the sharpest 200's I have (and I have a couple of good ones).

patrickh

I've seen that one before. Very strange looking one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:

Any chance you would be able to post a picture of that lens?

Also, Big Dawg, what is the second lens you have in the background of your shots?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***and then I'll take a few days and do a shoot-out with them for comparison.***

Gonna be interesting esp if you have a well known other make lens to add in for comparison....maybe a shoot out for sharpness, bokeh or whatever, with the Vivitar winner.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens, I Don't know who it's made by though. The aperture mechanism decided to break after having it only a few hours so it is stuck wide open for now.

It's really big and heavy compared to a lot of similar specced lenses, the few test shots I got out of it were not bad, a fair amount of sharpness wide open but better stopped down, the colours were good.

Overall I think I have better performing lenses that are much more compact but I love the way this lens looks!

It will be interesting to see if you get similar results to mine!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
patrickh wrote:

Any chance you would be able to post a picture of that lens?

Also, Big Dawg, what is the second lens you have in the background of your shots?

I posted that a day or so earlier. You can see it here....

http://forum.mflenses.com/new-lens-vivitar-series-1-35-85-f-2-8-variable-focus-lens-t30619.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***and then I'll take a few days and do a shoot-out with them for comparison.***

Gonna be interesting esp if you have a well known other make lens to add in for comparison....maybe a shoot out for sharpness, bokeh or whatever, with the Vivitar winner.

Which other make are we referring too my friend??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
I have this lens, I Don't know who it's made by though. The aperture mechanism decided to break after having it only a few hours so it is stuck wide open for now.

It's really big and heavy compared to a lot of similar specced lenses, the few test shots I got out of it were not bad, a fair amount of sharpness wide open but better stopped down, the colours were good.

Overall I think I have better performing lenses that are much more compact but I love the way this lens looks!

It will be interesting to see if you get similar results to mine!

I'm convinced this is a Kiron made lens. It is a beautiful lens and very heavy. Shoot out in a week or so. I'll PM you when I post it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg, you are the Vivitar master flex ... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

It would be interesting to know where Vivitar 200mm lenses are in the pecking order, and would assume the top VIV 200mm lens would still be cheaper to buy compared to e.g. a Canon FD 200 f2.8 and might be just as good (or better).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@scheimpflug

Here is the Vivitar AF 200/3.5 Ser 1 (even though it only works now in manual)

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
I'm convinced this is a Kiron made lens. It is a beautiful lens and very heavy. Shoot out in a week or so. I'll PM you when I post it!

I think you're probably right, it looks very similar to that zoom you confirmed as a kiron.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

It would be interesting to know where Vivitar 200mm lenses are in the pecking order, and would assume the top VIV 200mm lens would still be cheaper to buy compared to e.g. a Canon FD 200 f2.8 and might be just as good (or better).

The only one I can compare it to right now is a Asahi 200mm f/4. I used both and to me the viv is better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:

Nah. I think casualcollector still tops me!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
@scheimpflug

Thanks! Not a bad looking lens!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, just maybe in numbers, but not in dedication!

Big Dawg wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Maybe, just maybe in numbers, but not in dedication!

Big Dawg wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

Not dedication but in appreciation. I just like Vivitars. You my friend have been my inspiration.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panagor (early Kiron).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
Panagor (early Kiron).

Probably so Russ.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Panagor version (built in lens hood). Have yet to use it though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
@scheimpflug

patrickh

Patrick

How do you like your Series 1 200mm AF lens? I find it to deliver superb results.

Russ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg is an acknowledged leader when it comes to the Vivitar bright band lenses . . and the Vivitar chrome nose lenses, too, for that matter. But this is about the bright band series, one of which he features in the OP.

I like both series of lenses but, oh my goodness, have they become difficult to locate!!!!!!

Anyway, last evening I finally scored a bright band 135 and I'm pretty happy. Now the 135 is nowhere near as special as Big Dawg's 200 seen in the OP. The 135 is a more common lens, not very exciting. But you must take into consideration the passage of time. Big Dawg did the OP almost seven years ago. From where I sit, these bright band lenses have all but disappeared from the market in the interim. I'm constantly on the lookout for MF lenses and I almost never see these things!!

Anyway I'm very proud of my new "needle-in-a-haystack" lens, even though it is only a 135. Here is a photo of the lens I bought:

Oh, BTW, my cost for this lens was just a bit more than US$21, which includes shipping. I don't know if that is a good price or not, since I almost never see these darn bright band lenses even offered for sale. I paid that much regardless because I just like the lens.

Finally, here is a reference for the 135 lens, including photos from different viewpoints:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_Auto_135mm_f/3.5_Bright_Band

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Big Dawg is an acknowledged leader when it comes to the Vivitar bright band lenses . . and the Vivitar chrome nose lenses, too, for that matter. But this is about the bright band series, one of which he features in the OP.

I like both series of lenses but, oh my goodness, have they become difficult to locate!!!!!!

Anyway, last evening I finally scored a bright band 135 and I'm pretty happy. Now the 135 is nowhere near as special as Big Dawg's 200 seen in the OP. The 135 is a more common lens, not very exciting. But you must take into consideration the passage of time. Big Dawg did the OP almost seven years ago. From where I sit, these bright band lenses have all but disappeared from the market in the interim. I'm constantly on the lookout for MF lenses and I almost never see these things!!

Anyway I'm very proud of my new "needle-in-a-haystack" lens, even though it is only a 135. Here is a photo of the lens I bought:

Oh, BTW, my cost for this lens was just a bit more than US$21, which includes shipping. I don't know if that is a good price or not, since I almost never see these darn bright band lenses even offered for sale. I paid that much regardless because I just like the lens.

Finally, here is a reference for the 135 lens, including photos from different viewpoints:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_Auto_135mm_f/3.5_Bright_Band

Nice one and really a nice price too. These are getting scarce and they are quite good too. If you can use the manual focus they do perform almost to modern standards.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:

That looks like the Cosina version of the Vivitar Series 1 200/3.5 Auto Focus Telephoto.

I think it is interesting that the VS1 200/3.5 Auto Focus Telephoto was made both by Komine (SN 28...) and by Cosina (SN 09...), making this lens design, very possibly, the only single Vivitar lens design to have been made by two different manufacturers (?). [I am lucky enough to own a copy of each.] The two versions look and feel nearly identical, although I have no idea if Cosina bought the tooling from Komine (either directly or through Vivitar), or whether each company worked independently "from scratch" from Vivitar specifications and blueprints. ["The word on the street" says that Komine made only the first batch, while all the other runs were made by Cosina.]

The lens is reasonably successful as an AF lens (considering it was an AF "pioneer"), but it also works very well as an MF prime as well. [BTW, the actual AF technology was licensed from Honeywell (and not from Minolta).] The lens, according to published test reports in Amateur Photographer (March, 1985) and in Modern Photography (March, 1985), also tested quite well -- Amateur Photographer rated it as "Very Good" for central definition, for edge definition, for image contrast, for optical balance, and for overall performance, while Modern Photography rated it as "Excellent" for both center and corner resolution at every aperture from f/3.5 to f/22, and as "High" for both center and corner contrast at every aperture (except for one "Medium" rating for contrast in the corners wide open at f/3.5).

[EDIT: Sorry -- I really didn't intend to hijack the thread -- I should start a new thread, I guess...]

Last edited by fwcetus on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:09 pm; edited 3 times in total