Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TEST: Mamiya Sekor E 1.4/50 1.7/50 1.7/50S 2/50S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: TEST: Mamiya Sekor E 1.4/50 1.7/50 1.7/50S 2/50S Reply with quote

Probably first-ever careful comparison of the four Mamiya Sekor E/EF standard lenses:

* Mamiya Sekor EF 1.4/50mm
* Mamiya Sekor E 1.7/50mm
* Mamiya Sekor E 1.7/50mm S
* Mamiya Sekor E 2/50mm S

It's amazing how good the EF 1.4/50mm is, compared to the slower family members:

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO SEE THE FULL RESOLUTION!

Mamiya really here is turning things upside down: Usually the fast lenses are always (at least slightly) worse than their contemporary slower counterparts - but not here! The Mamiya Sekor EF 1.4/50mm at f1.4 is better than the 1.7/50mm at f1.7, and both are better than the 2/50mm!

S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the f/1.4 and f/1.7 do both really good, is that they’re very sharp wide open (close distance). I have the f/2 as well, but there’s something wrong with mine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
What the f/1.4 and f/1.7 do both really good, is that they’re very sharp wide open (close distance).

I haven't really tested that - but I'm aware of your findings.

I have noticed, however, that the Sekor SX 1.7/85mm as well as the Sekor SX 2.8/105mm seem to be optimized for portrait distances, and not for infinity. I should check that more carefully later on.

caspert79 wrote:
I have the f/2 as well, but there’s something wrong with mine.

That's something I have encountered with my (only) Sekor E 2.8/28mm. Pretty low corner perfomance, certainly much lower than with my Sekor CS 2.8/28mm samples. I suspect someone (factory?) has turned one lens by 180° ... maybe the single negative lens inside the rear element ?!?

Quality control is expensive, and Mamiya wasn't that good at it. We have it officially from Nikon - in their history pages they talk about the sub-standard quality at the "M" company which was producing SLRs for Nikon in th early 1960s ...

S