Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 50mm 1.2, 1.4, 1.7, 2.0 - are tested, again...
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Rokkor MD II 50mm F1.4 has been tested and reviewed
Comparisons with other fifties will be soon


PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another big lens battle of fast 50mm F1.4:

    Minolta MC Rokkor PG
    Minolta MD I Rokkor
    Minolta MD II Rokkor
    Minolta MD III

- most difficult was to select winner


PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
Another big lens battle of fast 50mm F1.4:

    Minolta MC Rokkor PG
    Minolta MD I Rokkor
    Minolta MD II Rokkor
    Minolta MD III

- most difficult was to select winner


That's also my experience. The newer 7/6 versions are the slightly better ones.


PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. I have a late(r) MD 50/1.4. It has no Roman numerals on its face. How do I tell which version it is? Serial number? Close focusing distance?

The face just states:

Minolta (then 180 degrees apart:) MD 50mm 1:1.4 Japan Φ49mm

It has the MD switch also.


PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have a question. I have a late(r) MD 50/1.4. It has no Roman numerals on its face. How do I tell which version it is? Serial number? Close focusing distance?

The face just states:

Minolta (then 180 degrees apart:) MD 50mm 1:1.4 Japan Φ49mm

It has the MD switch also.


That's easy. Every Minolta lens without "Rokkor" on the front ring is a "plain MD" AKA MD version III.

Refer also to this table for easy identification of all different MF Minolta lenses: http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/


PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article about some observations about the effect of the focus point on the results of testing lenses. No new information just a visualization was added for the old thematics. It may be interesting not only to fans of Minolta.


PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
An article about some observations about the effect of the focus point on the results of testing lenses. No new information just a visualization was added for the old thematics. It may be interesting not only to fans of Minolta.

Thanks.

The part about the differences of copies of the same lens in good condition is very interesting.
Sample variation is not something new, but we rarely have a chance to see the effects.

One trick to save you time on identifying lenses with notable field curvature is to fully open one on MFD and point your camera at oblique angle to a flat textured surface (table or whatever).
From my experience it's very easy to tell from a live view or a test shot if a field curvature is a thing for the particular glass.

And if you plan to test for this in reviews, I suggest doing an oblique shot of graph paper.
Not only this is minimal effort, but if you ever decide to update previous reviews, you can easily do so without a full corner focus reshoot.

Keep up the good work!


PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
One trick to save you time on identifying lenses with notable field curvature is to fully open one on MFD and point your camera at oblique angle to a flat textured surface

Yes-yes, I have the idea to add such tests to reviews, want to do it with an effect like 'focus peaking' - red colored for contrast zones, just postpone more and more... Will do it, just later. Thank you


PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
Minolta Rokkor MD II 50mm F1.4 has been tested and reviewed
Comparisons with other fifties will be soon


Happy Cat

I really like the avatars that you choose. Just amazing. First class all the way!


PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
I really like the avatars that you choose. Just amazing. First class all the way!

This site is about anime, in fact, reviews of lenses are bait
Laugh 1